Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Exactly, after standing still for 9 years, the crappy stuff what they sell as fuel over there had turned into some weird laboratory science experiment! so borrowed a mate's G3 non panel tank to get me going again. Oh, and I replaced a broken off rear wheel stud too.

Cheers,

Lex

260A3F~1.JPE

The G3/WO looks wonderful, Steve...I feel quite proud to say think that a couple of small parts I had kicking around have found their way on to it...The only thing that 'grates' a little for me is the late / post-war rebuild plate...I'd prefer it looking more 1940...but I prefer everything to look 1940 or earlier.😄

3 hours ago, 79x100 said:

The G3/WO looks wonderful, Steve...I feel quite proud to say think that a couple of small parts I had kicking around have found their way on to it...The only thing that 'grates' a little for me is the late / post-war rebuild plate...I'd prefer it looking more 1940...but I prefer everything to look 1940 or earlier.😄

Thank you for your kind comments and your help!!

Yes the rebuild plate was a tricky decision to keep it, but everything else is 1940 😉

• 1 month later...

OK I'm back. 

Following on from the discussion we had earlier in this thread about the length of the rear mudguard below the number plate....and noting Lex's comment about 4 different lengths used by Matchless. I scaled it from the number plates in this picture of bikes from my contract and make it 3". 

Mine was too short by most of the 3", so I'm using the battered remnant that Lex gave me and welded a piece of it on to give the desired length. I've also bridged it underneath with a  reinforcing piece. The number plate covers most of the joint and a smear of  body filler will hide the blemishes. 

But the rub yesterday was that I suddenly noticed that the piece I welded on was missing the beading round the edge and I wanted to see what was possible to do. So I managed to cut it from my old tail piece and weld it back on.

I've started shaping it up again with a layer of body filler, which has yet to be finished off to shape with production paper.

Ron  

Panel tank at port (2).jpg

DSCF4243.JPG

DSCF4244.JPG

DSCF4247.JPG

• 5 months later...