Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Steve, I think I have the number 2 spacer NOS, will measure tomorow, but it's certainly not the case, that I have everything in stock as a whole assy.  that would just be too easy, but a lot of people are asking about this, so I guess we'll have to put it to paper to get it all out in the open. Top r/h in my picture?

Lex

IMG_3328.jpg

Edited by welbike
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flyingfleasteve said:

Thanks Lex!

Yes I think a lathe would be a good investment.....I keep saying know more restorations 🙈 I must say I am jealous, your workshop is much tidyer than mine ! 👍

That is sooooo funny, that is the workshop of the guy I bought the lathe from!! LOL!!!!

OK, back to the spacers, I only have these 2, here situated on the dummy spindle, so asume the bigger one goes between frame and brake plate, and thin one between hex nut and frame, this nut is quite thin too.

The big spacer dimensions are 1" x 16,2 x 12,5mm. wide   (sorry no solid inch sizes.) (part No. 37-8-B54)

The smaller one 1" x 16,2 x 2,1mm. wide. (part No. STD-176)

We're getting there I guess,

Lex

IMG_9650.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

That leaves us number one, (part No. 10086) but I don't have one on the loose, the i/d. must be 11,15mm. and o/d. 3/4" but the length I cannot measure, maybe Ron? this spacer goes between the right hand frame fork and the (longer?) end of the bearing. 

But looking at the axle diagram from 2 pages back, there is another spacer on the outside of the r/h. frame fork?? (part No. 37-8-H4) but this could be a prewar thing? No, just looked at the factory picture, and we need one of these on our bikes, so who has one??  i/d. will again be 11,15mm. o/d. will be 7/8" but what about the rest, it could be the same as a frame to engine spacer?, can someone look up the numbers? the part No. for this part on the axle is 36-8-H16.

Cheers,

Lex

pre-war axle sketch jpg.png

Factory_G3WO_UHR1.jpg

Edited by welbike
wrong picture

14 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

Lex. That’s fantastic! Thank you!

I am really starting to get an idea now of how the rear wheel goes together......👍

I think I am now in a position to piece all of this together, Lex if you could just confirm the dims of spacers marked 1 & 2 that would be great!

I assume that the nut on the end of the long spindle is no longer sourceable?

68A199BB-774F-4C9C-95E2-3576D220DD61.jpeg

Nuts need to made also, I have a drawing for those too.

Lex

Cheers Ron, I just cannot get to my bike right now! now it's up to someone to make drawings of everything, I have invited Arne here, who has made lot's of drawings already, so I presume he can make these too, and a big oversight one, to see what goes where would be handy!  I guess for the time being I can modify the above one, as it's not complete.

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info