Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

No picture Lex.

I haven't got a parts list for the 39 G3's but what I have is this.

Contract C5247 (mine and Steve's) Lucas HF1235 fitted

Contracts C6094-7183-8078 Lucas HF1235 fitted

Contract C8947 Clearhooters HF500 fitted (The Big one) 

And we know that the Clearhooters HF180 was fitted to at least some non panel tank G3's

Ron

Edited by Ron

Ah the picture has come up now. There's no disputing that the HF180 were fitted. But lots of changes....especially  with Matchless. We can only make our best judgment from the parts lists (often wrong) and period pictures. This picture of Signalman Tom Hoy on a first contract G3L (same contract as my frame) you can clearly see at least one of the Altette screws. 

As an aside, This is from a series of pictures taken by the press for promotional purposes I guess. Tom was well known to me as his son Steve was my business partner for about 10 years.

Ron

Signalman Tom Hoy..jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Due to the condition of some of the components I have removed several snapped studs and bolts. 

Unfortunately the lower girder fork spindle, or what’s left of it, will not budge! 

I am afraid hitting the damage spindle any harder may damage the stem.....

Any suggestions would be most grateful! 

Once removed I can start rebuilding.....

48D3A04C-573C-48BF-8F29-01940453700E.jpeg

FAF21823-B421-4BB8-8432-832AED1CBCBD.jpeg

427B0BAD-694A-4376-9904-7B3351381D66.jpeg

Cheers Ron. I shall give it a go......fingers 🤞 

So hear I’d my second anorak question of the week........Carburettors!

I am under the impression my Matchless should be fitted with an Amal 276B/1J? Now having a parts book it lists the carb correct carb as a 276/014-R? Is this the more generic code for the carb? I have came across this picture showing a 276/014 carb but then subsequently at some point in its life re-stamped.

any comments appreciated?

image.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve

This document that was sent to me by Amal UK should explain it. It seems that very early on the 276B/1J was modified where the drip hole in the jet block was sealed up and moved to the bottom of the flange. My carb has had the conversion but still stamped 276B/1J. Also see a new one that Amal make . Ron

scan-171011-0002.jpg

Scan_20180328 (2).jpg

DSCF3277 (2).JPG

276B-1J-1.jpg

276B-1J-2.jpg

Well 276/400R is just the mixing chamber number. As far as I'm aware, the finished carb number (276B/1J) would then be stamped on the flange. If you have the chance of a NOS body (preferably with jet block, at a reasonable price? Buy it, as all other new parts are available.   Ron

Thanks Gents!

I have now secured the purchase of the correct carb and I am now turning my attention back to paint job whilst the weather is a little better............

The main components which were recently blasted and primed have now been finished in there final livery. As many of us know ‘mixing’ KG3 is not an exact science, with this in mind I have ‘experimented’ with some of my obsolete paints I have lying around after my previous restorations. The paint would have only gone to waste.

on the whole I think I am happy with the final ‘look’ but time will tell.

A360B2B2-C752-4F52-A071-B85FC35507A3.jpeg

E414A40B-F64B-4E2F-8C22-39E3EF84B2D8.jpeg

44975ADD-515B-4759-958D-5B3E14C6FCCB.jpeg

B8E171E3-B075-4769-AB63-4BDD771634FE.jpeg

Steve, I might have kept one for sample purposes, that I could measure, but last time I searched I didn't find it, did you ask the Norwegian, Arne if he has a drawing of it??  he made about 80-100 drawings over the years, of all sorts of Matchless parts, he only does email, I will see if I have anything though.

Cheers,

Lex

35-G3-E56 mag platform nut.pdf 35-G3-E280 35-G3-E277 dynamo clamp bolt.pdf 12221 Wheel nuts.pdf

Edited by welbike

Unfortunatly he's not good at inches, and on special request he did the drawing of the mag platform in inches and milimeters, no spindle drawings though, it's a quite elaborate afair, with a groove for the special washers, I sent you some NOS ones off, that make the "clicks" on the damper knob, also it has a hex on the end, for adjustment, not a square like so many other forks. All threads are BSC 26tpi.

Lex

IMG_2681.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info