Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Cheers Ron. 
sorry I don’t know why I ask that question again, too many cocktails last night.🙈

Talking of tinware variances I have noticed that the tyre pump retainer, to stop the pump going into the back wheel, appear different on this image to some of the earlier matchless G3’s, I assume there must of been a few variances?

68C8570E-B6B0-4546-A093-8AB631D59CBE.jpeg

630FBDF2-F5FF-44D7-BB24-1F02690E639C.png

Tyre pump thingy should be curved, at least on my NOS guards the are, maybe someone stole the pump on that one in the b/w picture, and bent it?

Will take a picture from the back of my number plate, and measure from the rivets downwards, maybe time to document it all??

Have the short one on my US G3WO, but have an original long one, and will change it when I next visit, that reminds me, that I do have somewhere the remains of my mates Indian one, that could be used to lengthen others.

Lex

06112008832.jpg

Edited by welbike

OK, that sounds about right, now I checked my spare one, that is in a bad way, and that is 12" too, but the holes for the numberplate holder are way up! see picture, this means it sits a lot higher!  I cannot see any welded holes, very strange, a third mudguard I have is exactly the same. the lowest hole may have been for a reflector? will check my period pictures in a mo.

Lex

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

I have just checked my orginal rear guard and it does have the top number plate fixing holes close to the rivits, as per Rons. I have now just fitted my number plate in a similar position.

looking at the below detailed picture it appears that the rear number plate on both machines leaves quiet a sizeable space between the underside of the mudguard and the tip of the mudguard 🤔

586F93BB-B76C-40C9-8DD4-0BEDE96AF14F.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Edit text

Yes, I just checked! so now I have to change that!! the mudguards always break off near the rivets, that's why they later re-inforced it with a steel strip on the inside, I welded that on my mudguard, as it kept breaking up, but the bike was used hard! 

Ron, I found a picture of a paneltank with an early fag's end taillamp, so you can fit one of those, and sell the MT210 to Steve!

1939 G3 IWM H27772 - kopie.jpg

1 minute ago, welbike said:

Yes, I just checked! so now I have to change that!! the mudguards always break off near the rivets, that's why they later re-inforced it with a steel strip on the inside, I welded that on my mudguard, as it kept breaking up, but the bike was used hard! 

Ron, I found a picture of a paneltank with an early fag's end taillamp, so you can fit one of those, and sell the MT210 to Steve!

1939 G3 IWM H27772 - kopie.jpg

Mt210 - Yes please 😉

• Haha 1

I stripped the paint off my NOS ammeter and it's bare brass underneath. I guess for a painted installation, maybe a car dash? I certainly don't want to risk dismantling it or the platers, so I've simply sprayed it with Simonize Wheel Silver. 

Ron

DSCF3531 (2).JPG

DSCF3535.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron said:

I stripped the paint off my NOS ammeter and it's bare brass underneath. I guess for a painted installation, maybe a car dash? I certainly don't want to risk dismantling it or the platers, so I've simply sprayed it with Simonize Wheel Silver. 

Ron

DSCF3531 (2).JPG

DSCF3535.JPG

Looks great Ron, the Simonize wheel silver is great, I use it frequently.

Thinking restoring an ammeter was easy, sill me 🙈 I have finally got there and pleased with the end result, a little patina and fully operational. Some reference images before during and after should anyone fancy doing the same.👍 Just a original DC40 inspection lamp to to go to complete the set.......

E5D75EFE-601E-4744-944A-7260B18F0009.jpeg

537EEDAE-D887-46FD-B812-BA4C64512FF4.jpeg

4C0C186F-672E-4275-9927-225B4BA11AD1.jpeg

C40A5DE6-7A51-45B3-B3CA-65E2463DBB5B.jpeg

BF2B1145-A7EC-486D-B4A2-44498EFBBD30.jpeg

EADC8AFE-E82A-4FCC-A5F4-5156B963A445.jpeg

4C2822FB-CDB2-4719-B3B8-C499D762E7F1.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Edit Photos

Very well done Steve. Mine had the four little bend out lugs to clip it into the panel (silly idea)  How is yours fixed? Also at the bottom of the brass bezel, where it meets the Bakelite base, I had to sand those three little lumps off to get it through the hole in the panel.

Ron