Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

I’m trying Ron 😂

As I slowly try and round up the last few missing bits I THINK I have found the correct gear lever? At first I thought it was G3L as it had no rubber on it but on closer inspection I can see there’s a series of nodules on the shifter end, possibly to hold the rubber end onto it? I could be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5.....

29725277-13BA-44F3-A142-223D939D8004.jpeg

7D8A3EB4-C6CB-447F-A824-2D011E9FB91B.jpeg

Rubber didn't really become short until after the Japanese took Malaya in early 1942....There is a tendency to assume that 1944 spec was 'normal' but allowing for 1939 production during the build-up, pretty much half of wartime production was not subject to rubber shortages and a fair quantity of the vehicles that were went straight into post-war reserve stock which is why they were so common on the 1950s and '60s demob market. Lots of rubber bits is really far more 'warry' in terms of year served.

• Like 1

Yep 1942 seems to be the turning point at Matchless. The earlier G3L's were fitted with a rubber. The 1942 factory pictures shows no rubber after which at some point the pedal was changed to the "loaf of bread" ?? shape.  Ron

Signalman Tom Hoy. (2).jpg

133841468_Gearbox02.jpg.42c20103c43365c0c43c6d4652702b9d.jpg

G3L 009 (2).jpg

• Like 1

That third image is my bike Steve. It's an early first contract frame but with a 42 engine and mixture of G3L parts. I've now changed the gear pedal for the early version and might well fit a rubber?  Ron 

DSCF3620.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Whilst I take a break from wiring I am looking though the remaining engine and clutch parts I have to advance my built. Can I ask, firstly does anyone know the size of each of the 24 chain wheel/clutch sprocket roller bearings? I cannot seam to find this?

Secondary, a little bit of group participation required, I believe I have a correct cylinder barrel for the bike? It’s not in the greatest condition and it will need re-boring, I do have a freshly machined G3L barrel in great shape but strictly not the right part for the bike, what should I do? 🤷

29DB114D-7C6A-495F-9EBF-0941CB48AD8A.jpeg

BAB1699E-2EFD-4B32-8B62-BD36B1EF2FB8.jpeg

2141B98C-C10D-4341-B54A-C233643AD883.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Missing photos

Steve the rollers are 1/4"x 6mm. wide, if you use 1/4 x 1/4, there's no side clearance. 

Someone with a magnetic plate grinder will take the required material off in no time.

The barrel on the right is the G3WO one, but do you have the right head? (or did I sell you one?)

Lex

IMG_9217.jpg

For me there would be no contest. I would have to repair/restore the G3 barrel.

Might be easier to locate those clutch rollers through a Triumph dealer. They also use the shorter 1/4" rollers. Reduced by about .012" from memory. No end of problems if you fit the 1/4 x 1/4 rollers.

Ron

Thank you gents, really helpful! I think I will restore the orginal G3 barrel, I have tried to make sure all of the parts I can possibly use are G3 not G3L so I will keep going.  A few broken fins adds to the patina 🙂

I have started cleaning up the timing gear/cams in readiness for assembly  and it appears the exhaust cam has some light scoring to the shaft which locates into the engine side bush.....I assume if I proceed to use this it will slowly damage the bush?

FA441639-ACD5-4943-B5D6-0F65900C649A.jpeg

I wouldn't worry too much about slight scoring to the camshaft spindle. As long as the bush is not badly worn, most of the scoring can be polished out with strip emery, plus it helps to hold oil.

As far as the broken fins are concerned, I would definitely have to get them repaired. Dave P is the bloke if you don't have anyone local......He can also rebore it if you send the piston along.

Ron

Edited by Ron

Thanks Ron this puts my mind at rest! The spindle is a little tight so emery would help reduce the scores and free up the spin (win win) All bushes are brand new, Dave did a full overhaul. Il have a chat with Dave ref. the barrel, I think I might of stressed him out enough, however, with the bottom end.

I have just sourced some 1/4 x 6mm clutch rollers, thank you so much for pointing this out both, the bike came with 1/4 x 1/4 and I nearly ended up putting them in 🙈

8 hours ago, welbike said:

Steve the rollers are 1/4"x 6mm. wide, if you use 1/4 x 1/4, there's no side clearance. 

Someone with a magnetic plate grinder will take the required material off in no time.

The barrel on the right is the G3WO one, but do you have the right head? (or did I sell you one?)

Lex

IMG_9217.jpg

Hi Lex, sorry forgot to reply, yes I have the correct head curiosity of you 😉

• Like 1