Indian model 640

welbike

I don't think I have  mentioned this before, but have been working on such a bike for over 10 years now, after acquiring.one via Ron Pier, thanks for that Ron! it was reasonably complete, and have added many parts over the years, restoration had been started on this numbers matching bike, but still needed a lot of work (don't expect a finished bike yet!)

After a lot of digging on the numbers, it transpired it's one of the last ones built, for a British contract, of 4 pieces! it was found in the 80's in India, by a German collector/dealer, and sold to the UK in the early 2000's.

Actually, this model started to be very interesting for me, after riding a friends one a couple of times in the US, and I liked it very much! and then I found an original license plate at a fair in Pennsylvania, and I just had to have one! (not for my bike though, but still very nice, and for a 64o model from 1940)

More to follow,

Lex

Indian 640 Robin 2.jpg

Indian 640 Robin.jpg

2016-02-24 16.46.58.jpg

British Contracts 02.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

So, this is NOT a 741, of which millions were made, but a very rare 45 cubic, or 750cc Indian, and all parts are different from the 741. After the war, when they were surplusssed, they were all raced, and so not many are left now, they were very fast!

Here some period wartime pictures of wartime used Model 640's Canadians used them too.

Lex

15171177.jpg

15230802.jpg

15780779.jpg

Indian Six Forty.jpg

Springfield and troops.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 1

Some years later I had most of the parts cad plated, that needed to be done so, also the spokes.  (not in the pictures)

And I found the correct tall round aircleaner, now too expensive to buy!  (over 2000 pounds)

Lex

2015-07-10 13.50.54.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Ok, I will just go on with posting pictures, here the carb I had rebuilt, I still have to paint it silver, as that was as original, bought very special paint in the US to do so. The make and model are Linkert M641.

Lex

174272.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Edited by welbike

Found an original horn too!  and worked on the speedo, that came with the bike, it's dated August 1940, but some people say it's the wrong one, time will tell I guess.

Lex

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

Edited by welbike
  • Like 1

Can finally get on with the engine, the rear cylinder was fitted with a liner, and not done very nicely, so I found an nearly NOS one in Australia, and that came in the other day, cost an arm and a leg, but very happy with it!

I probably came from a crated engine, that were around surplus in the 50's.

Here some pictures of such a crate, don't have any pictures of the engine itself, but the little clip from the museum can be watched here: 

Don't pay too much attention to what he's saying, as he's more like a Harley man.

Lex

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

• Like 1

Great thread Lex. I'll look forward to seeing this one coming along. I also acquired a BO mask for my 741. NOS in it's box. I keep my Indian ignition and carb spares in it.

BTW "741, of which millions were made"........I've told you 10 million times "DO NOT EXAGERATE"😄

Ron

DSCF6005.JPG

741B 035.JPG

• Haha 1

Lex here are some of the pictures of yours that I sent you. 

For the sake of sanity, I swapped the twist grip wires round on my 741, to give me a right hand throttle. I'm sure this must have been done regularly for our blokes to ride. Ron

640 008.jpg

640 011.jpg

640 012.jpg

640 019.jpg

640 020.jpg

Thanks Ron! I forgot about those pictures, but do have them somewhere! 

I will probably change the controls too, life is too short for these sort of mistakes!

Won't exaggerate too much if I can help it, but the curse of the 640 is, "Oh, that's a nice 741"

Will post more tomorrow.

See you soon,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Here the repro's, very nice work from Jan!

That last picture is my mates 640, not mine, we will be able to ride it this sping I hope, needed some work, after being restored 25 years ago in the US.

Lex

05.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

640 01.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

Yes, I took these pictures I think? black saddles are not correct from what I've found out!

But very nice, early bike.

Am so happy with my saddle, looking at it while I type this, aged it a little bit with olive oil!

More in the next post, so easy now with digital pictures!

2016-10-11 11.59.19.jpg

2016-10-11 12.00.23.jpg

Those are pictures I took Lex, On a visit to Calvin's in Mansfield.  I have a series of them.

My saddle came from MIchel I think and was natural near cream on a proper metal pan. So I toned it down with some leather oil with some dye in it.  Ron

DSCF6003.JPG