Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

I really like the look of the G3, but I know which bike I'd rather work on and maintain or change a throttle cable in the rain in the dark. And somewhere to carry some tools that are seldom needed.  Ron😆

M20 452.JPG

• Like 2

Yep me too Lex, even by the roadside in France on the G3 of one of your ex girlfriends. Fortunately I had a spare cable and her dad, uncle, and me spent an hour changing it. She is a nice looking blonde though☺️ Ron

• Haha 1

Both my Matchies were erroneously fitted with throttle cables with an in line adjuster. A very good idea actually but not the right look.  So I've just replaced both of them and had to go through the carb removing process twice to do so.  

Also both cables had to be modified to create more free length by unwinding a small section of their outer cable.....Bah!

Actually though it whiles away some of lockdown.

Like completely removing a non sparking mag from my 5SW last week, just to find it was just some verdigris on the end of the HT lead which took 10 seconds to clean off with a brass bristle brush....Hey Ho!

Ron

DSCF3556 (2).JPG

• Like 1

A little bit of downtime last week but it’s a very exciting day today!

The freshly built bottom end is now built and scheduled for collected this afternoon!

Maybe even more exciting the orginal G3 panel tank I have acquired has started it mammoth journey from America!

All being well the tank will be with me early next week, I am itching to clean it up and scrape some of the layer of paint off it.

From the photos the seller had kindly shared with me there are some definite signs of service paint beneath of the current black top coat.....some of this can be seen on the panel hole of the tank 

1757F62C-B8F1-4B19-970A-32E026F00560.jpeg

109AC404-110C-4F95-BEC6-64902524AA54.jpeg

C0AD6080-67ED-4024-B2A6-1ED589398F5F.jpeg

Steve, It's good that you have at least one original panel screw as a pattern. I had to get mine made (Stainless Steel) . Also it looks like the remains of the ammeter might be fitted with the bent tabs idea, like mine. Ron

DSCF3535.JPG

Incidentally, I've just looked in the parts list for our contract and the battery is quoted as UF (unfinished -natural colour) but the later non panel factory picture shows a painted battery.......Bugger! I painted mine!  Ron

Factory G3WO UHR - smaller (6).jpg

Nice Steve, only they enlarged the hole where the switch should go, the bottom one, where it's now, the clock blanking plate should go, contact Simon for one of those.

Deffo a WD tank, as the hole in the tank is the larger one, so the tank can be removed without undoing any of te wiring, the panel slides through the hole.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

15 minutes ago, welbike said:

Nice Steve, only they enlarged the hole where the switch should go, the bottom one, where it's now, the clock blanking plate should go, contact Simon for one of those.

Deffo a WD tank, as the hole in the tank is the larger one, so the tank can be removed without undoing any of te wiring.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Lex. Yes I noticed the original switch hole has been made larger, I wonder why? I am sure I can repair that. I luckily have an original clock black plate...the tank remains relatively untouched, I hope to learn a little more about panel set up as it has the remnants of what looks to be the original ammeter and inspection lamp. I just wonder if any original tank markings have survived under the paint? It would be Amazing to find out what bike this tank originally came from.....chances are slim I know. I found the original division markings on my G3L restoration. A real treat! 

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Spelling