Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

On 2/23/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ron said:

Very well done Steve. Mine had the four little bend out lugs to clip it into the panel (silly idea)  How is yours fixed? Also at the bottom of the brass bezel, where it meets the Bakelite base, I had to sand those three little lumps off to get it through the hole in the panel.

Ron

Hi Ron, I an not quite sure how this is held in at the moment.....I thing I might need to make something 🤔

I wondered what those three lumps were on the bottom of the ammeter, and yet there was no way my ammeter would fit through the hole in the panel until I sanded them off . The bent up tabs under the rim worked fine on mine. Ron

So with the bottom end of the engine still away for rebuild I have continued with any other small jobs I can. The engine has been a nightmare with up to 99% of the components now being replaced, it’s taken some time sourcing a few of the spares but I think we are nearly there! 😬

On the flip side it will be just like a new engine.....Ron you might have some trouble catching me 😉

The rear plate is now sprayed and fitted, I have knocked up a few crude clips to keep the lighting cable away from the rear wheel where it ducks underneath of the mudguard.

After these rewarding little jobs I hit a more major hurdle, I did not realise the rear brake pedal stop had been cut off/removed so this weeks task weld a new one on and try not to spoil the paint 🙈

A2D109D6-48F0-46D9-A311-526732AFEAFA.jpeg

7ACB4D18-C6CC-4609-BD55-57988EF85D24.jpeg

A741F7F8-3EFA-4C36-B301-3ACCF428114F.jpeg

".Ron you might have some trouble catching me 😉"

I'll put my high lift cams back in and we'll see about that😜. My engine has also undergone a full rebuild with bespoke needle roller big end. Having said that, I start getting scared after 50mph.😕

Steve do you like that heavy pitted look? Personally I use loads of high build primer and W&D paper to get rid of most of it. It's no criticism, just a debate as I know lots of guys like to show its history. Lex for instance quite likes it to be seen.  Ron 

Well, small pitting I don't mind, but where is the line?  I would have welded the hole in the rear mudguard stay, it takes quite some force to get it on the rear stand, and might bend?

Had the same problem with the rear brake pedal stop, if the bike falls over on the near side, it will break off! 

Cheers,

Lex

On 3/2/2021 at 8:43 AM, Ron said:

".Ron you might have some trouble catching me 😉"

I'll put my high lift cams back in and we'll see about that😜. My engine has also undergone a full rebuild with bespoke needle roller big end. Having said that, I start getting scared after 50mph.😕

Steve do you like that heavy pitted look? Personally I use loads of high build primer and W&D paper to get rid of most of it. It's no criticism, just a debate as I know lots of guys like to show its history. Lex for instance quite likes it to be seen.  Ron 

I don’t mind some pitting if the part is structurally sound, I do like keeping a hint of the bikes history, even in some instances small bumps and dents (which in this bikes case I have remedied). There has been a fine line with this build as many if not most of the components have this ‘aged patina’ which I have decided to keep. I plan to filler prime the rear carrier because that’s a little to pitted for my tastes but I have to say I am pleased with the honesty of the rest of the bike. This machine has certainly tested me, and the engine build is still throwing hurdles which currently are expensive ones. I can only hope that the finished article, although maybe slightly weathered, doesn’t look like a dogs dinner? 

For me, I like a used look, one that has a few dents, scratches and worn areas. I don’t like the abused look where it’s obvious something has been left to rust out to the point that no one sees a value in it and it’s simply been unloved.

Unless of course, someone decides to preserve it in that state, such as that WW1 tank that was dug up and preserved as found. That kept the rust and damage and looked a mess but it retained that originality of the battlefield.

45 minutes ago, Ron said:

I can't argue with any of that. I've just got this awful obsession  with trying to make everything look new again.😣 Ron 

Nothing wrong with that Ron! As you well know I have been going through a stage of not painting anything which is either brass or shiny 😂 

So I have finally welded the rear foot brake stop back onto the frame, it took a little while to get it just right but it’s not going anywhere now! Next is to prep it up and respray the area before the bottom end comes back. I have also dug out this Mansfield saddle cover, pretty grubby but generally in great shape so hoping to use it, although not strictly correct, instead of a repro one.

296910F7-00D6-4159-B8AF-510DF3F0B521.jpeg

3C6EBB22-DFB6-4132-B4C3-4F861C5E5FA6.jpeg

D11E52B9-DB2D-4D38-B4D1-535F59555DEF.jpeg

AF7B5BD6-5487-43DE-BF40-DB81B4B7404F.jpeg

• Like 1

Momentum has slowed a little while I wait for a few parts including the engine to come back to me. I decided to tackle the rear rack as I was never happy with the heavy pitting of it. Unfortunately filler primer never really touched it so I tried a different method, which I must say has transformed it.......

B1B241E5-FCBB-4566-AF7A-167379F3CF25.jpeg

E885FBDC-793C-4EC6-BB9B-70B87024E636.jpeg

Yes Steve in severe cases, A smear of ordinary body filler rubbed down with 60 or even 40 grit can smooth things out. But it can be built up with 10-15 coats of high build primer (2 pack is best) which never looks like it's doing much until most of it rubbed off with 240 W&D. Ron👌

2 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

Thanks Lex! Yes they appear to be a popular machine! I just love the pre war styling.....

Yes, I think it's one of the most stylish bikes of the war!! compared with a late M20, now that's an ugly ducklin!!  My goal is to find a 1939 G3WO, as that is even nicer, with the twin downtube front frame.

Lex