Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Lex is right!

Been a productive day on the G3 today, the Smiths Speedo has become a bit of labour of love but it’s finally back together and ready to go......someone cut the trip reset knob straight of so I have spend hours soldering an extension back on and readying it for a new knob 🤭. It’s highly frustrating trying to drill such a small hole in the new extension but job done! You may note a very straight drive pin, it’s the early Jaeger type but without the screw hole to secure the early speedo cable......Headlamp now also finished and wiring set in place.........

728F96F1-2AD9-4DEA-84C5-A32FBF7DAD30.jpeg

8A0488C2-1414-41BF-B90E-77C4C95269F3.jpeg

C2B08D35-1BEC-48D4-9610-DD68AD71102C.jpeg

CFEFA743-B0EB-439A-B8FB-5BCE3A696734.png

• Like 1

I have to admit I did use a little masking tape whilst applying the gas paint but I did refrain from spraying it on in favour of a brush. 🙈

A few weeks behind Ron but I have finally fitted my saddle bungees, very comfortable indeed! I alternated the length of the front nose hooks to create a pattern which helps the bungees to fit snuggly.

I have not been happy with the fit and look of the front number plate of late so I have now chopped it and refitted it in line with a period photo I came across......

00C96182-FAD3-4A40-AFB2-ED1D3F29B530.jpeg

C8A70E65-44A4-4481-BC6F-2C7DE6DCBE5C.jpeg

266556F3-4B86-4E11-8F3F-FAD243853CA3.jpeg

Tentatively buying up some of the last few missing parts my repro ammeter has arrived.....it has a nice ‘look’ to it but maybe the needle lets it down just a bit.....?

After a few hours trawling the net I came across what I hope is a very good authentic alternative. It’s in need of a clean up and strip down but I am very pleased with it......

Pictures of the G3’s early tank panel appear few and far between the little information I have managed to find shows an ammeter almost identical.......🤞

712C5C4B-3BDD-4453-8EEC-2320DA97E1E4.jpeg

412DE9EA-BF83-4110-BE75-16B340300304.jpeg

3A949564-64C0-4786-83D4-94C1866B6A60.jpeg

• Like 1

Well since learning yesterday that the correct ammeter for the panel tank G3 is a Lucas model BM and Steve gave me the heads up on this NOS example, I couldn't resist it. I don't know why it's painted black? Maybe it was how they were finished for other models? I'll be anxious to see what's under the paint on the rim when it arrives.  Ron 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Lucas lists are supremely unhelpful and confusing. I believe that this first one is from 1939.

The earlier 1936 list shows one with a black bezel, but only the 6-0-6 ML that they took over with all the Maglita stuff in the early thirties.

It looks as if you should have the 369, 075 which was the BM4 L15  with an upright needle and illumination at 6 o'clock. It had a chromium plated bezel.

Whatever, if you paid more than 8/6d then you were had !

a4 (2).jpg

1936 Ammeters.jpg

I was had Rik! It cost me 13/8 1/2d.......I bet Steve hasn't got a clue😄

It looks like the type with all round illumination....Which is fine or I could blank off the top part if I could be bothered. None are listed with a black finish rim, so hopefully there is chrome underneath.

Ron

Morning all!

I have a little time on my hands this weekend so I am going to get the rear number plate fitted. As my rear mudguard is a repro, currently it hasn’t any holds drilled in it for the number plate. Would any of you kind G3 owners be able to guide me on the location of the plate, on the rear guards, please?

coincidently, which route should the rear light cable/s take?