Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

your blackout light is bolted with 3 bolts 2 at the front and 1 to the back the small hole just off set is for the wire clip ford and willys used different types then the wire went down through the wing into the top hat that runs under the wing and comes out a large hole in the inner wing willys had a rubber grommet ford used a felt one you can all so get two types of wire braiding  early had a metal earth type and later just the cloth type   there was all so 2 types of bracket early and late 

Blackout Light Guard4-228x228.jpg

images.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow Jerry, nice things you are doing over there. Keep the pictures coming as I am just as eager as Steviem to learn from it. Looking at bodywork repairs, Often you see waves in the panels or an area with small dents. Would you remove these kind of parts and weld in a new section? Or would you be able to 'straighten' them? 

Another tricky one I have is a sharp bent at the front side of the hood, like it hit a pole or something. good luck with the project Stevie and I will follow this.topic! see pics

29.jpg

30.jpg

Edited by JPMulders
  • Like 2

it all depends on the type of restoration you are after lets call it after the battle look or as it came of the production line look most i do are  production line look a friend he decided to rebuild the body all he is left with is the bulk head and a ton of work and he is just learning to weld with a mig set is that something you can do weld also you need to shrink steel so you will need oxy O2/ Acetylene c2h2 took me a long time to work that one out  its a lot to think about but you will get there working on jeep is all good fun you will be pulling your hear out at times i have done over 50 jeeps and at times they still do my head in like the one in the workshop but that's anther story for anther day just remember that its your jeep and as long as you are happy with it that's fine i will all ways  help any way i can all the best jerry

P1000942.JPG

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jeep said:

it all depends on the type of restoration you are after lets call it after the battle look or as it came of the production line look most i do are  production line look a friend he decided to rebuild the body all he is left with is the bulk head and a ton of work and he is just learning to weld with a mig set is that something you can do weld also you need to shrink steel so you will need oxy O2/ Acetylene c2h2 took me a long time to work that one out  its a lot to think about but you will get there working on jeep is all good fun you will be pulling your hear out at times i have done over 50 jeeps and at times they still do my head in like the one in the workshop but that's anther story for anther day just remember that its your jeep and as long as you are happy with it that's fine i will all ways  help any way i can all the best jerry

P1000942.JPG

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the motivating words. Indeed I go for factory fresh condition. I am an engineer and I got lots of Arc, tig and mig welding experience. My father is the acetylene man and he has a set for it so we should be ok although shrinking is new for me as well. Plenty of videos online and I will practice first. I like welding and looking forward to get the bodywork straight again. The sharp bent in the hood is something I will need to think about how to handle that..

I've re-furbished my front convoy lights but the jeepdraw link would have been handy! Please keep posting links like this as they are really useful and always interesting to read.

I modified my front and rear convoy lights to be indicators so as to keep the look of the vehicle correct but be road legal and safe. I removed the masks in the lights and then fitted amber LEDs for flashers.

For the headlights I replaced the sealed beam units with 5 3/4" reflectors which take standard H4 headlight bulbs and they aslo have a smaller side light bulb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grey on top said:

I've re-furbished my front convoy lights but the jeepdraw link would have been handy! Please keep posting links like this as they are really useful and always interesting to read.

I modified my front and rear convoy lights to be indicators so as to keep the look of the vehicle correct but be road legal and safe. I removed the masks in the lights and then fitted amber LEDs for flashers.

For the headlights I replaced the sealed beam units with 5 3/4" reflectors which take standard H4 headlight bulbs and they aslo have a smaller side light bulb.

About the indicators.. a standard repro cable harness seems not to provide for these. Do you pull 2 extra cables for it? Or do you use the convoy light cables for this? (Sorry, did not study the electrical system as yet.)