Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

Hi folks, new member here with a new project and a first for me, a 1945 Willys, purchased from AMD 4WD it is going to need work hence joining for knowledge and know how, i will be helped by my father in law who is old school some 60 years on the spanners and bodywork, like many since a child i loved the iconic ww2 jeeps and finally now get to own one which i am sure will bring both pleasure and pain, already named it "Little Pud" after our grandaughter, The jeep was imported from Iowa and i am in the process of completing the v55, a few pics attached will show its current state

Steve

1.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome Steve !

Hang in there !  Jeep types will be along have no doubt and then you will be pestered for details as you go and pictures, lots of pictures....

But you will get loads of good help.

Jeeps are not my thing, except Mutts, but good luck and have fun.

Iain

It might help if you put your intro in "introductions and welcomes" as well.

Edited by Mk3iain
extra
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Nice jeep; but be sure to get the books and study before you start tearing it apart. My first advice (apart from getting the manual) is to make pics of every detail before you touch it. It seems to be in good, original condition. I think the engine is post-war CJ but it will work just fine in a WW2 jeep without any trouble.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hello

I got a 43 Ford as a wreck from Texas in 2012 and spent a couple of years stripping and rebuilding it. The manual doesn't tell you everything you need to know and I found it useful having a Hotchkiss Jeep to check against to see how some bits went together or for hole positionings.

I documented the whole strip down and rebuild on this forum and you might find some of it useful.......

GPW on the left, M201 on the right.

tanfield_gala17.jpg

M201 in the foreground, GPW in the background. Both use magnetic markings to change the look for different shows.

tanfield_1940s_62.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i have plenty of boxes and tags ready, regarding the engine would a 45 dated Jeep have a post war engine built in March, AMD quote me "4 MARCH 1945 WILLYS MB .ENGINE RUNS NICELY AND IS PROBABLY THE FACTORY ENGINE FOR THIS JEEP. QUITE AN ORIGINAL JEEP WITH CORRECT AXLES,T84  TRANSMISSION, 2 COMBAT RIMS AND ORIGINAL DATA PLATES. another view of the engine attached.

Actually paid for it today so this weekend delivery i have been and seen it, cruddy underneath but dry, the guys down there must have at least 20 Jeeps in barns from what i have to finished , i would like this one to be lets say not the prettiest girl at the party but sound and functioning.

My father in law is old school, owns E types MK11 jags, and a few classic US cars too but never a Jeep, his help will be invaluable, my self i work as a Aerospace quality Inspector within overhauled turbine sector.

Steve

11.jpg

Edited by steviem

Jeeps often got different engines during repairs and rebuilds. Ford's often got cracked engine blocks, just under the distributor, so it is common to see Ford's with a Ford head on a Willys block or a complete Willys engine. My Ford has a pre-war Willys engine block with the ford head fitted and a civilian sump without the skid plate.

• Like 1

Thanks bud, now got a delivery date of this Saturday so i will have more space and time foe detailed pictures, all of which as you say will be logged, anyone clocked the extra trim on the windshield for a hard top i believe . and the wife may just enjoy the heater, 

14 minutes ago, steviem said:

Thanks bud, now got a delivery date of this Saturday so i will have more space and time foe detailed pictures, all of which as you say will be logged, anyone clocked the extra trim on the windshield for a hard top i believe . and the wife may just enjoy the heater, 

Looks like a good basis to start from, others have given you some sound advise there's plenty of good reliable help available on HMVF or a number of other very good jeep related sites if you haven't found them yet shout and I'll post some links for you.

Suggest you start a restoration blog in the restoration section of this forum it will keep your project in one place and makes it easier for people to follow it and comment on. 

Pete

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

Another thought, if your wife enjoys riding around in the Jeep too much, you might have to follow my example and have "His and Hers" Jeeps. Lynne loves driving the Jeep.

Ahhh, she is a comfort type of woman and enjoys the refines of her TT.

Fairly new to the forum myself but a fellow Jeep owner

I have a Feb 43 MB with an early Ford engine..

As has been said before, take LOADS of pictures and be sure to bag and tag everything that comes off..

I may have missed it but assume you are in the UK?

20190422_132028.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Steve, 

Good luck with your project. We finished our ‘43 GPW just in time for Normandy last year. The most frustrating thing was the poor quality of a lot of reproduction parts. There is some junk out there, but there are also some good dealers who will help you out.

Chris 

2125B076-88E9-43FC-AC74-E71366794004.jpeg

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the military vehicle world. It sounds like you and your father in-law have plenty of skills. Take photos, lots and lots of photos, label everything you take off and when like me you still didn't take enough photos find a friend with a jeep to have a look at!

With regard the cylinder head I feel that it is post war. Here's a link to a good website  http://ww2jeeps.com/htm/heads.htm

Good luck with the project.

Thanks guys, lots of helpful links and advice already, thank you.

The Jeep arrives tomorrow AMD have advised me not to touch anything until the DVLA have been out to check it over, in that time it will allow me to crawl around it getting as many pictures as possible pre strip.

Steve.

17 hours ago, sirhc said:

Hi Steve, 

Good luck with your project. We finished our ‘43 GPW just in time for Normandy last year. The most frustrating thing was the poor quality of a lot of reproduction parts. There is some junk out there, but there are also some good dealers who will help you out.

Chris 

2125B076-88E9-43FC-AC74-E71366794004.jpeg

Lovely, i too am based in Nottingham, Hucknall to be precise.

Hi Neill yes i will keep you updated.

Mike and his team have many years behind them and i am basically following his advice, they import many Jeeps ans have a vast stock of parts here is a link, they only have a small selection of Jeeps on the website but many more available.

https://www.amdfourwheeldrive.co.uk/