Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

best place to get spark plugs ,leads and much more is THE GREEN SPARKPLUG CO that's were i get all my  bits some times silicon leads need the higher voltage that you get from electronic ignition i have taken off some electronic ignition units as you cannot fix them at the side of the road all my jeeps have the good old points ,condenser, it was good enough for the us army in ww2  and got them all across Europe and north Africa don't try to fix something  that is not bust  

• Like 1

Thanks guys, mine is a standard 12 volt key to coil jobbie, so i guess i wouldnt need silicone leads, the old girl is being moved on weds to my house, nothing special just a enclosed car port behind gates with a clearance of 5" either side the driveway however is quite wide so hopefully i can do some work there, very envious of the workshops you guys have.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:48 PM, Jerry Jeep said:

Hi all first on the plugs i have run both AC45 and all so CHAMPION J8C and never had any problem with them only ones i find don't work was DENSO plugs number W14-U this i found out with help from a ww2 spitfire plug tester and this was that if the cylinder pressure is not high the plug don't fire  they are made for modern high compression engines now the fuel. The fuel or gas in the uk is high octane almost the old 5* and if you look on your data plates you will see that jeeps octane is 68% min paraffin is 72% so what i do is i add some diesel in with the fuel this drops the octane and also gives the cylinder bores some lubrication  the best i find is the industrial derv as it has fewer additives making it cleaner also most additives lead replacements add to the octane making it higher. the high octane makes your timing need altering you need to retard your timing the number of jeep i get in the work shop that need retiming is all most all of them. anther thing i find is the alcohol that is added to uk fuel can rot the rubber in the fuel pumps rot the leather on the carb pump and make the fuel tank sender float sink as it becomes heavy with ethanol all the best jerry        

P1000959.JPG

Jerry the AC45 plugs i have sourced have the code 45F, Do you know if that is the correct fit, seller has no idea, thanks again Steve.

the F stands for fire ring as on the end of the box this is a hot plug for the more high compression engine green spark plug co web site  AC Spark Plug 45S this is the one i fit the autolite that you get from jeeparts are the same AC spark plugs became motercraft  that was fords plugs then they became autolite  they all so do the black cloth 8mm plug lead and all the fittings you just need to get the plug caps from joes motor pool i all ways make my own leads as the ones you get from dealers i find  are not long enough 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jerry new leads and plugs arrived as well as another fuel pump, bit of a bind at the moment feeding fuel fuel via a can to move the old girl back and forth to give me a little space, the good news is my father in law is responding to cancer treatment and able to visit me and give advice hopefully progress will speed up.

Afternoon folks, moving onto my fenders now, the driver side is a little tatty with a few bubba repairs where he has left a few high spots of weld after repairs, is there any personal preference between grinding disc or flap disc, i have grinding disc here a guy at work said flap disc are easier to use, has anyone tried them if so can you suggest a decent brand please.

Steve

Cheers bud, any brand suggestions, 40/60 grit. i will get some ordered to try as another option rather than grinding disc, mate at work says they are easier to use although you can get through a lot quite quickly

Steve.

ps, hope things are going well your end.

did a little more over the weekend, flap disc have been a godsend, grill off saved the two Yankee blackout lights new fuel pump fitted with plugs and leads, i am however seriously thinking of sending out either the tub or the complete rolling power train out for repair, anyone know of Midland based people to undertake the work, i would prefer to do the tub and body panels here, and the rest sent away, also any idea of costs .

Edited by steviem

you dont know what its like inside the gear box, t. case and both axles so its a strip down and look as for the frame to blast clean its about £150 to do with a coat of primer then top coat do you need new springs /bushes/bolts/shackles ? it all adds up then its the steering box, axle pin,track rod ends but i will do what you ask and if so you can order the parts and pay for them its your jeep you are the boss i can advise you and let you know what is unsafe send me some photos of the frame my e mail address is jerrysjeeps@hotmail.co.uk put up some photos of my work they are not all of the same jeep just random shots     

P1000914.JPG

P1010028.JPG

03.JPG

23 engine fitted.jpg

40.JPG

• Like 1

Just seen two lovely jeeps in woodhall spa,  one named Valerie the other destiny i think,  nice chat with the women but the blokes were not very forthcoming,  nice to see two finished examples and give me a vision for "lil pud".

This is the frame of my next jeep a willys that came out of a scrap yard that was closing down in Widnes when i lived over that way i went in my first jeep and asked the owner i had been told there was an American jeep some were he told me were it was last time he looked so off i went and yes there it was under a pile of scrap cars he got it out for me i asked how much " take me for a ride in your jeep and its yours " i did and that was over 30 years ago still have it. Photos of the frame i am going to restore it next and have decided to fit in the back the 37mm anti tank gun  google it jerry 

P1010039.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010037.JPG

P1010038.JPG

P1010041.JPG

P1010040.JPG

3 hours ago, steviem said:

Just seen two lovely jeeps in woodhall spa,  one named Valerie the other destiny i think,  nice chat with the women but the blokes were not very forthcoming,  nice to see two finished examples and give me a vision for "lil pud".

That’s my neck of the woods. Are you in the area?

ok, quite happy with hood ( still a hinge weld reqd) inner and outer screen, moved on to the fenders now, 

the drivers fender it appears to have taken a wallop on the fender top side, resulting in removal and weld up of the blackout lamp, and of course filled, repaired tabs need another spot of weld and some dings to sort out as with grinding down old weld, anyone know if the two welded holes to the rear are for the blackout lamp wire.

20200822_134944 (600x800).jpg

20200822_134951 (800x600).jpg

20200822_135021 (600x800).jpg

20200822_135116 (800x600).jpg

20200822_135205 (800x600).jpg