Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

22 hours ago, earlymb said:

I'm very curious what your experiences with the new wiring kit will be, as I would like to replace my home-made one for a more correct looking one sometime.

Hi bud mine is from MV too direct, they are aware of import cost and greatly reduced the value to decrease this, the set complete with a full set of clips came in just shy of £300, i am a long way from using it but can get you some pictures it is due to arrive Monday

Steve.

Edited by steviem

15 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

How do you find having the M2 on the back? I’ve already got an M2 but I don’t know if I should put a M31C pedestal mount in my jeep or stick with the M31 mount with my M1917. The M2 looks impressive due to the size but the M1917A1 is much scarcer on a vehicle and probably more in keeping with the VEP.

Chris, If you put a Fifty on, as Jerry has said. It is not good without the support legs! It will vibrate back & forth like a tuning fork! On a previous Jeep I owned. I actually fired a live fifty off of it! Strangely, it did not affect the accuracy of the gun without the legs?

If you have kids in the back. the two rear facing legs shouldn't affect their space. They are after all. only sitting.. Yes?

I am looking for a .30/.50" Cradle myself, if you know of one for sale? ;) 

If the legs don’t effect the kids leg room I my just upgrade to the M31C and then could use the M2 or the 1917. I’ve not actually got the cradle for the .30/50, only the cradle for the 1917 which doesn’t need the travel bar. My M31 doesn’t have the legs or the travel bar as it’s not needed. 

don’t worry, I’ve no intention of putting the M2 on the M31, I just didn’t want to put the C in if it was going to effect where the kids would sit.

i did briefly think about having the .50 or the 17 in the back and the A4 on the passenger side glove box but decided that was a bit OTT.

striped down the g/box and t/case today don't need much a few bearings and thrust washers and a good clean and paint then reassemble  also I was given some old springs ford and willys and  spent a day restoring them  finished them off with new bushes ready for next project 

P1000930.JPG

P1000929.JPG

P1000931.JPG

P1000932.JPG

P1000935.JPG

working on the g/box and t/case sat the gear box in the frame just to get it out of the way, nice early g/box fill plug on the inside but what a pain to fill next bolt together props on then its the engine rebuild keep working on your jeeps and post your photos

P1000936.JPG

P1000937.JPG

P1000938.JPG

P1000939.JPG

My box is the early right fill GPW box and I’ve got it in one piece but I really can’t get to grips with the shimming etc. Required to get the slop on the blocking rings correct. I also can’t find who stocks the shims in the UK.

shimming the transfer case was piss easy in comparison.

8 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

My box is the early right fill GPW box and I’ve got it in one piece but I really can’t get to grips with the shimming etc. Required to get the slop on the blocking rings correct. I also can’t find who stocks the shims in the UK.

shimming the transfer case was piss easy in comparison.

can sort it out for you if you need me to 

Nice work Jerry i am sure i could use some of your services at some stage, i am at a point where the engine runs fine, gears select well etc, should the be stripped and re built for the sake of it, this will be a call down the line as at the moment it is body bit by bit for me so maybe i could do that and send the rolling chassis and drive train out.

Wire harness arrived from MV very well put together but lacks the diagrams again something i will tackle further down the road. on the plus side the screen inner and outer are coming on nicely.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, Jerry Jeep said:

can sort it out for you if you need me to 

Jerry, where in the uk are you?

the box is complete with all parts (mostly new) but I just can’t fathom how to check the slop on the blocking rings and I’d rather have it right first time.

10 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

Jerry, where in the uk are you?

the box is complete with all parts (mostly new) but I just can’t fathom how to check the slop on the blocking rings and I’d rather have it right first time.

Manchester area i think

Need to get a regulator etc and a decent mask, yes bud at the moment it is all body work for me once done roll out the chassis and running gear, i would like to keep as much originality as possible all to easy to go and buy a new tub but if you can preserve the history down to the last bolt if possible, 

I’m the same, if I can and it’s safe to do so, I’ll salvage as much as I can. The floors in my jeep are/were so bad and repaired badly in the past so I’ve opted for new floors but to keep the firewall to floor. 

I kicked myself when I sheared a F script bolt on the spare wheel carrier. I’ve kept the head and may make a new bolt out of it for a non stress show item.

• Like 1

Got a few hours in here and there, windshield stripped down body mounting brackets removed, just waiting for a few bits to arrive to repair bottom panel. inner screen needs a couple of small repairs ( any tips to remove the perished rubber) both inner and outer treated with KURUST, starting to clean up the fender should be able to salvage this i think, wood still in bottom of hat channel

20200519_171948.jpg

20200519_172104.jpg

20200519_172125.jpg

20200519_172135.jpg

Chris i am at the other end of the scale mine runs nicely enough i do not know if it was rebuilt, should i strip it down anyway or flush it out clean oil and let it run, like you maybe a repair shop job. i could try it myself never done it, but it may then cost more for someone to put it right.