W&P new prices

Maurice

What does the military vehicle community think about the new prices for entering with a vehicle ?

So if you don`t book before the end of January it is going to be 50,- pounds , that is  if I am informed correctly .

I personally know only which vehicle I will be taking after the vehicle season starts .

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Maurice said:

What does the military vehicle community think about the new prices for entering with a vehicle ?

So if you don`t book before the end of January it is going to be 50,- pounds , that is  if I am informed correctly .

I personally know only which vehicle I will be taking after the vehicle season starts .

Hi Maurice,

I saw that email as well, the entry fee rise is a bit steep considering the vehicles are the attractions. Almost makes we wonder if it is a way of reducing the number of vehicles attending, because this is what will happen. Anyone who can only make one or two days will not pay £50 for the 'pleasure'.

Well I suppose you just have to enter your vehicle before 31st January to get the previous rate.

No charge of course if you are Living History, until I spotted this:

"Each Living History Member is charged £10 for the duration of the show."

Begs the question what is this show for and to keep people coming back year after year- the enthusiast to showcase there pride and joy - the public to enjoy - the owner and backers bank account - or what - to penalise those who make a last minute decision to take a vehicle - time will tell - the price hike closer to the show also applies to stalls - lets hope its a great success and probably becomes the business model for similar shows to follow 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, Maurice said:

I guess you can just book A vehicle before that date if you already know you're going anyway, and just change the booking later if needed.

• 6 months later...

I now dont take any vehicle to shows that charge an entrance fee .  To take armour to an event costs hundreds of pounds shows will finish up as landrover events. Local shows appreciate your cost / effort and  give incentives by paying fuel/ transport costs or free food.  I went to a show  with armour via a loader which was 60 miles away  and found it was cheaper  than driving there.

Cost was only £160 , my fuel and stress would have been greater . Shows should MAN up and help with fuel / transport costs otherwise why go to a light vehicle show. I thought about going to W+P with this loader but not now or ever.

with you on this one. why should I pay to take an exhibit to a show where they are charging people to look at the exhibits?

bring back the glory days of war and peace! masses of armour, car crushing, crowds 20 deep all round the arena at 4.30 in the afternoon and a great atmosphere

ahh! mental metal madness!

• Like 1

I remember back when there was so much armour in the arena at the end of the day they were running out of places to park everything. I don’t think we’ll ever see the likes of that again, but it won’t stop me and I’ll be there as usual.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, terryb said:

'bout time we had a new topic- W&P best bits!

what's yours?

The trader market from 2000 (when I started going) up until around 2012. It would take all day to do and there were always bargains to be had - especially from foreign dealers who you otherwise wouldn’t have seen in the UK.

I wont be taking a vehicle but  a push bike to get around easier . I was there last year not many bargains as there are fewer dealers. I was at Overlord show and its getting to be a landrover show. Local events are easier to get to and they some times pay the fuel. Oh for the good old days.

The paradox of military vehicle shows these days, is that there are now very few sellers of military vehicle parts. Most traders are selling guns & uniforms, none the less I can't resist rummaging for the unexpected. All I bought at Overlord was a Key WT 8-Amp No.2 & an RAF bathtub key both very reasonably priced. 

Looking on the website its £50 for the "vehicles" you own plus camping for a week, but support vehicles extra £30 ,  I was planning to take a few Motorbikes next year,  But think I'll go back to Normandy instead,  I may go this year on foot, but depends if they have changed the policy on fees for Veterans and serving personnel.... In my opinion Its an Insult in charging Veterans regardless of what the show etc is. 

Edited by bigduke6

• 2 weeks later...

I was just sent a screen grab of the new "fine"of GBP250 for leaving rubbish behind on your site. 

Paint me cynical, but how do they know it is "your" rubbish and not that of your worst enemy who has waited till you leave then tossed all their rubbish in your spot?

Since when does a private company have the legal backing to "fine" anyone at their pleasure?

Edited by dgrev
grammar

I guess they can put it in their Terms & Conditions to which you agree by entering the event, but it's a completely theoretical exercise as for to leave something behind you need to have actually left... unless they are going to chase you on the way home.

I can't remember I have ever seen rubbish just left at pitches, other than collected piles placed next to the roadways to be collected... or is that what they mean with 'left behind'?

Ladies and Gentlemen. All the time you pay the W&P fees, the cost will go up. I am happ[y to show my vehicles, my entrance fee is looking after the said vehicle all year, presenting her in good condition, paying transport fees and my free labour whilst on site. Any show that requires me to pay for the privilege of supporting them can take a long walk off a short pier.

By the way do you know that a public footpath goes through the site, from just up the dual carriageway on the left, this can not be blocked and is free for walkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2691H said:

Ladies and Gentlemen. All the time you pay the W&P fees, the cost will go up. I am happ[y to show my vehicles, my entrance fee is looking after the said vehicle all year, presenting her in good condition, paying transport fees and my free labour whilst on site. Any show that requires me to pay for the privilege of supporting them can take a long walk off a short pier.

By the way do you know that a public footpath goes through the site, from just up the dual carriageway on the left, this can not be blocked and is free for walkers.

My feelings exactly, been there, done that, not doing it again. I know w&p was a fantastic show but not on the present terms, especially when there are so many smaller shows you can go to for free and they actually appreciate your attendance.

Jon

• Like 3

It was my last WP last year. I shan't return. It's too expensive, features too many caravans and citroen vans with UN taped on, and has lost the atmosphere for me. 

I have been to several military shows, here in Germany, and get this: camping was free, and breakfast, lunch and dinner were provided for the vehicle exhibitors!  I've heard of other shows providing accommodation and secure parking at nights!

Still, £50 isn't much for WP. Actually, what am I thinking, yes it is!

• Like 1