Professions/trades in profile

Tunnel_Rat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Daughter Emma lives down your way in Swanscombe, working as a Nurse in A&E in QEH in Woolwich. She wants to join Kent Ambulance as a Paramedic.

Nice place Woolwich. I've spent lots of time at a friend's place near the Prince of Wales in Plumstead.

I wish all the best to Emma, but please let her have a look at randomreality.blogware.com before embarking in such a job.

Andrea

Oh... my jobs...

Retired Army Captain (but still available to run refugee camps)

Scoutmaster

Land Rover Restoration not-expert

as a hobby University teacher 8-)

As far as Land Rover Fixing maintence goes.

1. How do you know when a Land Rover needs oil?

2. Can you unreel Gaffer tape?

3. Can you operate a cable tie?

If the answer to these is 1 Because none is dripping out. 2 yes 3 yes Congratulations :yay: :yay: :dancinggirls: You are a Land Rover restoration/repair expert.

Can't put off doing this anymore....

In real life - far too real sometimes :-) my brother & I run the family firm . We are the n th generation of builders here and are one of the dwindling number of traditional country builders left . These days mostly engaged in restoration work to older properties for our customers & from time to time we do a spot of maintenance work in local schools .

For a spot of relaxation I'm voice No. 2 in local pub band Sad at the Clinic (http://www.sadattheclinic.co.uk) which keeps me mostly sane & then there's always the toys to play with.

Here goes! Joined here 18 months ago, posted once (insurance). Sold all my heavies 12 months ago after taking early retirement (and the insurance money) due to a severe back problem. I didn't want to be tempted to work on the trucks and make matters worse. Work-wise, I did 3 years as a bus driver,(1/2-cab Bristols, crash box, power-assisted nothing, still have all-types PSV), then got my first flying job on DC-3's in Jersey, going on to Viscounts, then 2 years on Twin Otters in Antarctica for HMG, followed by 5 years on inter-island Trislanders and Islanders. I then returned to the UK to do 13 years on BAe 146's for TNT Airways, followed by 5 years as an A300 Captain, from which I retired.

Ambitions? To get fit, (already signs, against all prognoses), get my flying licence back and become a volunteer pilot for what is left of my old DC-3 fleet at Air Atlantique, Coventry, (surely all here will understand why!), and get back into heavies (carefully!) AND collect my Final Salary pension in 18 month's time! (Yes I know, lucky me).

I've met TooTallMike and cohorts on the Bethune/Souchez trips with my 5-Ton Reo and 2-stroke Diamond T, and was a member of the Jersey C.I.O.S, so will be known to a few on here.

I've owned about 12 MV's in the past 20 years, and must say I feel quite at home amongst all this mayhem and madness, and especially the camaraderie shown in sorting out other people's problems.

Long may it continue, and good luck to All Here!

Yes, me old, INTRA '73 to '81, I was the "last man standing" on the Dak.

Now, that wouldn't be Tony B of a certain ...... Air Charter Co. would it?

no I used to work for Ken down at the aero club hanagar with the radios for a while. My mother always had open house for various stranded piolts when the fog came down, and a lot of Mr B's crew had digs there. Those were the days.

Well I started my life as a paint sprayer,spraying cars then went on to heavy vehicles spraying 13 coats of paint onto gritting lorries chassis for a council contract,got made redundant after revamping the paint shop and moved into the building trade,had my own business for the last 20 years in construction,been working on engineering projects most of my spare time ,from building Go-karts ,repairing cars to restoring military Vehicles and rebuilding engines.

I've got to thank my Wife and kids for their support in letting me do the things I enjoy most weekends (and before anyone says it's not THAT :oops: :oops: :schocked:) oh and the Tea supply is endless :-D.

Regards

Steve

well i was also a car spayer for 16 years, worked in main dealers , VW , honda , bmw , but when they bought in water based ground coats to try to lower VOC levels in the air i quit , as we used to spray 2k paint in ovens and used to be able to set spray temp to 20c for thinner based ground coats and bake off at 80c which was fine as you where never in the oven at 80c during bake...but spraying water based ground coat ie all your pears and metallic base coats we had to set spray temp to at least 40c to get it to flash off between coats and when your spraying 3-4 stage pearls forget it...to hot in your wax paper overals and having to wear breathing equipment so that was it for me and the motor trade....now a long distance truck driver...not to sure which was the better job now though... :?

• 2 years later...

I came across this thread and realised the last post was two years ago, thought some of us newer members should add some details.

So here we go.....

Worked in catering most of my life,

various pubs around Stafford while at college,

moved to Birmingham to continue college course and work at the NEC.

Worked for a contract caterer at ANZIO camp near Leek one summer, great laugh.

Moved up Lake District and been assistant hotel manager, worked at a college, a head chef and been a supermarket department manager (hated that job).

Started a cake decorating business with my wife 10 years ago, that we still run.

Had an event catering business with a partner who ended up shafting me!!:shocked:

Last year worked for a local butcher selling sausages at the BBC good food shows. Sold 2.5 tons of sausage at the NEC show in 5 days!!:shake:

This year been chefing, some outside catering, running cake business and doing some deliveries for a local bakery.......

Intention is to try to get hold of a Goulaschkanone or similar to earn a crust.:cool2:

Jerry

I'm an IT Service Level Manager at one of the big mobile operators. Started off in IT Support many years ago. I'm self taught - no diplomas on my wall I'm afraid. For a couple of years I ran a web based business along with my day job. It was called Indoor Flyer selling micro R/C planes and accessories. Had a laser cutter for a while (for kit production) - I miss that. Closed it down when the recession started and sales dropped to 1/4 of what they used to be. A lot of wasted time and energy.........

Don't think I've posted here before - probably overawed by the collective talents of the rest of the membership , me being a simple country lad......

When asked I usually reply that I haven't decided what I am going to do for a living yet .

But if pressed further I will admit that I am in partnership with my older brother running the family business - a firm of traditional builders which was first established in 1889 . In grandfathers day there was a staff of twenty five or more but these days there are just four of us and at times that can be more than enough to keep occupied . I joined straight from school after finishing my A levels and learned everything there was to be learned , from being the brickies labourer to driving the lorry to fitting bespoke kitchens . Now we can still turn our hand to pretty much anything that is asked of us - and frequently do - but tend towards the repair and renovation of older properties and timber framed buildings .

Ah well, here goes... My parents operated a small coach company so I grew up with commercials. As a youngster loved every minute of going out in the company Bedford KM wrecker because every journey was an adventure.(Sometimes it made it back without breaking down :banghead: ) Then worked on a farm before becoming a self employed opera singer! Bet you didn't see that coming 'cos I didn't! The only trouble I have now is that most of the people I work with couldn't tell one end of a heavy commercial vehicle or MV from another.......at least I've not met any MV owners in the same profession yet, but who knows...

Edited by daz76

Ah well, here goes... My parents operated a small coach company so I grew up with commercials. As a youngster loved every minute of going out in the company Bedford KM wrecker because every journey was an adventure.(Sometimes it made it back without breaking down :banghead: ) Then worked on a farm before becoming a self employed opera singer! Bet you didn't see that coming 'cos I didn't! The only trouble I have now is that most of the people I work with couldn't tell one end of a heavy commercial vehicle or MV from another.......at least I've not met any MV owners in the same profession yet, but who knows...

:shocked:

Wow

1983-2000 TVR Engineering Limited

(worked in body shop,stores, machine shop,trim shop,on the line).

2000-2001 House husband.

looking after my 3 daughters ,and 2 ex step sons.

2001-2003 Ofsted registered Childminder

(yep really!:shocked:).

2003-2008 Nursery Assistant

(kids not plants!).

2008-present.

Catering equipment company.

ok, am a bus driver in a small company, a couple of routes is all!!! Have been a bus driver now for 23 years!!!!!!!

Before that worked at the National Garden Festival here in Stoke (1986)

Have been a CI and AWO in the ATC, and also a OBS int the Royal Observer Corps

Mark