W&PR wreckers arena event

Great thinking Mike.

I love watching the recovery trains at GDSF - that's always a crowd pleaser.....

That's certainly an old favourite but it feels a bit same-ey. Of course if our slot were over the weekend it would be more of a family crowd for whom it might be new.

- MG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so unless you can get a donor casualty vehicle volunteer you are pretty much limited to what you can do. You all ready do from what i read a road train towing event how,s about involving the public a little more in this and do a bit of fund raising at the same time. Sell a few tickets at guess the weight its takes to move this impressive display. All you need to do is blagg a local test house lifting gear manufacturer to attend with a load shackle and after the run round get the lead vehicle to drop off and winch the train forward ???? Open a few eyes me think

Markheliops, how would you recover a flipped on it's side 101fc ambulance?

Just wanting to know as they lay on their sides with straight chassis, when pulled on their wheels they bent the chassis.

with you as an expert i see you as the right person to ask.

as for Mike with the donor vehicle, can an arranggement be made with Rex for the transport of said vehicle?

It is a crowd pleaser for his show, or does he have a vehicle suited to roll over?

think most importantly for arena events is rex gonna cut all the grass this time seems a bit of a no brainer with a flat arena and viewing area however didnt happen in 2013 so obscuring some of the lower mvs to the public ! oh for the hop farm!:cool2:

Markheliops, how would you recover a flipped on it's side 101fc ambulance?

Just wanting to know as they lay on their sides with straight chassis, when pulled on their wheels they bent the chassis.

with you as an expert i see you as the right person to ask?

Hi there.

I wouldn't class myself as an expert (more experienced)......but the method of recovery would depend on a number of factors:

If not familiar with the 101 Ambulance body but if I thought it were strong enough, I'd pass a roll over strop over the side of the body facing uppermost, across the roof towards the ground, under the side of the body on the road and attach it to the chassis. A simple winch pull would enable the vehicle to roll back on to it's wheels. A retraining system would be needed to stop it bouncing over again once on it's wheels. By achieving a rolling action, the body would not be subjected to too much strain.

Another method would be to attach a cable to the middle of the chassis as high as I could get it. Use a snatch block to start the winch rope low to enable a "pulling down" effect. It would be advisable to chock the wheels nearest the ground so they don't skip and then winch in. The effect of the cable winching from low to high should pull the vehicle into the ground at the wheels and enable a tipping over effect. It would be wise to have a form of restraint to stop the vehicle rolling back on to it's wheels and bouncing over in the opposite direction. Oh and always make sure the handbrake is applied before rolling the vehicle over on to it's wheels.

Equally you could just attach a winch rope to the chassis, high up and pull it over but I wouldn't guarantee the Landie not to slide along the road causing further damage.

It really depends on what recovery equipment is fitted to the recovery vehicle (ie winch, crane, etc), the conditions of the recovery site (type, surface, level, etc), the build quality of the vehicle being recovered, its size and weight, if it's carrying a load and what damage has been done to it. For instance, there is little point rolling a vehicle back on to it's wheels if one of the axles has come off!

The important thing as you already pointed out is to try and spread the strain or ensure equal strain is applied when winching. Pulling too hard in one place can cause the chassis to twist resulting in far more damage caused than when the vehicle toppled over.

I'd be very surprised if the chassis on a 101 Landie twisted whilst being recovered from off its side - unless it was fully loaded in the back.

Recovery of vehicles is not governed by hard and fast rules or standard procedures. You weigh up the situation, plan the recovery phase and then carry out the recovery.

I'm sure there are a number of people who would do it another way - anyone have any ideas on the above.

Edited by Markheliops

[

Recovery of vehicles is not governed by hard and fast rules or standard procedures. You weigh up the situation, plan the recovery phase and then carry out the recovery.

I'm sure there are a number of people who would do it another way - anyone have any ideas on the above.

very true there is no right way to carry out any recovery the ones that are the best do no further damage but there are wrong ways

Hi all,

If the public like BIG, then play with a couple of 20' shipping containers. Big, strong and light.

Eg, two WLF lift a GMC and a third wrecker winch/drag a container in under it and put the GMC down on the container. Then, if available equipment allows, put a jeep in the GMC.

Eg, stand a 20' container on its' end.

Eg, play with a couple of container decks (a container floor only, dunno what they are called.), a bridge across two containers?

I don't know your facilities and resources available, so adapt/modify ideas to suit.

I want to see pictures!!

Have a nice day.

Sam, downunder.

Any vehicle rolled onto its side will sustain damage. Not to mention playing havoc with the fluids, I cant think of any vehicles with inverted fuel and lubrication systems.

Rubbish

the whole art of recovery is to do the least possible damage. Laying it over or righting. read what i put if the only thing touching the floor is the wheels what will get damaged. " winch the casualty over untill the crane catches it then lower down untill it looks to all intents and purposes it looks like its laid flat on the ground raise it back up again till you come to the point were the winch catches it and lower gently to the ground. Couple of things to watch out for but all easily overcome"

Has any one thought of asking Rex if he has a vehicle in his yard that may be suitable for a recovery exercise that he might be able to bring to the show?

What about Withams? They always got wrecks but would they care about a bit of public advertisement?

Hi9 Folks,

I will be seeing Rex in the next few weekw to go through ideas for Arena events so I can ask him at them time if he has anything avaiilable.

I know most of you from previous years and too tall for towing my F30 in the past so carry on with the ideas and we will see what we can work out !

Andy Mitchell

• 3 months later...

Greetings all of you with big heavy wrecking toys, especially Mike !

We have fixed a time in the Arena at W & P this year at 1430 on Saturday and 1415 on Sunday for you to show off.

That doesnt stop you coming in at other relevant times if you want to though!

Mike, I have spoken with Rex and he will find you something big and heavy to play with, but could you contact him direct again via e-mail to arrange.

We can talk through what you need to do and timings on site in July.

Cheers chaps,

Andy Mitchell.

• 1 month later...

Not much time now, but has anybody given any thought as to how a couple of cars could be got on site to pull apart?

Unable to sort anything myself due to the distance, so can anything be arranged locally?

There is also the need to strip and prepare the cars, not sure what's necessary here but no doubt the oily bits and glass will have to go, and an angle grinder would useful.

Any ideas folks?

Not sure how I missed Andy's post the other so I'm sorry for not replying sooner. Firstly, thank you for the new times. I hope we can all step up and do some good showing-off!

I'd certainly like to do something with cars if nothing bigger can be found. From my experience at Beltring, the cars are delivered without engines/gearboxes and with the glass removed. Clearing up the mess afterwards is the biggest issue! I've no idea whether there will be tank on car action this year, but if there is we could just 'borrow' two of theirs.

- MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well we had some arena fun on Saturday because of the wet ground conditions, although we didn't manage to pull a car apart mainly due to me having brain and bodily expectations separated by 55yrs!

Unfortunately on Sunday the 'ring road' was gridlocked at the time we should have been making our way to the arena.

The prospect of making the whole dreary circuit into the arena and back in stop/wait/start/stop mode and adding to the chaos, meant that the half dozen or so wreckers in our area stayed put.

The one way system is something that desparately needs further thought I feel.

Something went wrong...

Sorry for any disappointment caused but we were willing!

Edited by gritineye