W&PR wreckers arena event

I am sure he had the blade down on the Chieftain which may answer your question!!

Yes John, the blade wasn't left in its highest position, but Mark assures me it wasn't right down, although I think it may have been touching the lumpy bits!.

Before the pull I noticed the LH track was against a large lump of soft earth that was thrown up doing the neutral turn and I reckon this was the problem.

Forceful on his own has pulled a Centurion ARV up a gradient on dry grass no problem, what really defeated us was lack of traction..

But as the whole point was to entertain the crowd, there's not point in making it look easy....:-D

Something went wrong...

Edited by gritineye

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you put a bit of an explanation of what the trio were trying to do?

It looks as if the Cheiftain was a dead load, did it have brakes applied?

Thanks for the video from all of us who could not make it over

R

Hi Robin, as to dead load see my reply to John, the object was to show off an Explorers pulling power, try one if that didn't work try two and so on, we ran out of arena time before hooking up a fourth Explorer...

Some years are memorable years for wrecker displays, some aren't, whether moving the show has had an effect on numbers partaking remains to be seen, only time will tell.

Edited by gritineye

The blade on the Chieftain was in it's low position - HOWEVER - it wasn't touching the ground.

I lowered the blade to give the crowd something to look at whilst the Scammell boys were hooking up. I also raised the crane for the same reason.

The brakes were not applied and it must be remembered, the Chieftain ARRV does weight more than the Cent ARV.

Even if the blade was on the ground it wouldn't have made the slightest difference as the ARRV was being pulled backwards and in that case, the blade has no effect on any rearward movement.

Bernard is right that the Scammells couldn't pull the ARRV simply due to not having enough traction in the mud.

He did manage to move it slightly on his own but was defeated by A) the dead weight and B) the mud that had gathered behind the tracks when I turned.

If time had permitted I'm sure a 4th Scammell would have got the ARRV moving and then I would have selected a gear and pulled all four Scammells backwards.

The idea was to entertain the crowd as we had asked for a better slot in the arena to demonstrate the recovery vehicles. Unfortunately, the number of recovery vehicles actually willing to go into the arena and the weather conditions left us with a last minute display.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

Mark,

Thanks for the explanation, all understood about venue changes etc.

Wet grass does kind of negate the abilities of the towing vehicles, shame!

Thank you for the fun video

R

It was fun for me Robin - I just sat and watched. lol

Hi Robin, as to dead load see my reply to John, the object was to show off an Explorers pulling power, try one if that didn't work try two and so on, we ran out of arena time before hooking up a fourth Explorer...

Some years are memorable years for wrecker displays, some aren't, whether moving the show has had an effect on numbers partaking remains to be seen, only time will tell.

I would have thought that if enough jeeps were hooked up they could have pulled it out........

If you have a post mortem on the wrecker arena event i would suggest everyone over looked the very thing that sets a recovery vehicle apart from a normal road going cargo vehicle. The gear on its back why piss about like a load of farmers with multiple tractors making bigger and great fools of yourselves. You where using the equipment as tractors not as recovery vehicles

@ Cosrec, the guys were doing what they could set up quickly in the time available and given the ground conditions they also probably wanted to avoid getting too much kit dirty on the ground for the sake of it. We all know that one of those Scammells could have winched the tank on its own but the public would probably rather see a line of trucks getting stuck anyway!

All this gives me an idea for next year's arena - what about using two trucks with winches to spin Shrek on its axis?

ps. sorry to all that we had to leave before the arena events but our house and stables were partially flooded out on Friday night and it was too much for the Mrs to deal with on her own.

- MG

If you have a post mortem on the wrecker arena event i would suggest everyone over looked the very thing that sets a recovery vehicle apart from a normal road going cargo vehicle. The gear on its back why piss about like a load of farmers with multiple tractors making bigger and great fools of yourselves. You where using the equipment as tractors not as recovery vehicles

This post deserves some sort of reply but to be honest, I can't be bothered.

Perhaps next year you will grace the arena with your presence and show us all how to do it!

I love a comment that stirs up a thread !! I rolled with laughter especially as there were some farmers in the arena:rotfl:

I go to W&P for two reasons to enjoy the company of friends and enjoy my hobby however I so choose, as many of us there served our time with the AWDC, I am sure that's where the love of pissing about in the mud comes from.

I mention the pissing about like farmers for the simple reason it is some thing that is seen all the time in the recovery industry. Farmer has a tractor with big engine low gearing attached to a large 6 furrow plough puts it in a field it pulls like a train nothing stops it. 8wheeler delivering to farm gets a couple of wheels of road farmer drops of plough tries to give him a pull out spins. No problem fetch another tractor big wide wheels low gearing 300 Bhp both sit and spin. Ring up mate he brings 2 more equally large tractor all hang on sit and rev the bollocks of them do nothing but scratch about on road much waving of arms encouraging more spinning still nothing. Stumped they ring a daft lad up the road.who has an old Scammell explorer he comes backs up to this 8 wheeler and hangs his crane on to it lifting in so doing he don’t actually move it of the floor but he has reduced its rolling resistance by a considerable amount plus the weight transference has increased his drawbar pull many times over.. Daft lad selects bottom gear and pulls it out no revving no fuss. Farmers left thinking what they done wrong not realising the plough is the very thing that makes the tractor pull so well through weight transference

So what i am trying to get over is all participants in the pulling of the tank is you where acting like farmers not the daft lad with explorer and yes i would be willing to come and give the benefit of my experience and risk a good hiding for pointing out your faults

Edited by cosrec

This post deserves some sort of reply but to be honest, I can't be

I will give it a response .. A one month ban Cosrec.. You've been warned many times about your attitude to fellow members but you still carry on. If you no longer want to be a member of HFVF let us know..