Leaving the hobby

Great War truck

Then what happens when you go? Never ending problem isn't it ........ we collect too much crap ;)

My entire family collects crap. Between us there are over 20 projects on the go and four or five garages full of randomly acquired parts, most of which is not for the projects we have! I die, the family may not even notice, they will just keep hoarding over my body. :)

I've always been a squirrel but I suppose it's because when I was young not much new 'stuff' was available and even when it was money was tight so everything was kept and reused even simple things like string and brown paper. It became a habit and even if I have a clear out within a short time I soon seem to collect twice as much as I've thrown/given away:-D Times have changed a lot and we now live in a throw away society which for people like me can make it even easier to acquire things.

The present Mrs May has already informed me that I have to hang on until after she dies.....'cos she's not getting lumbered with sorting out all my collected rubbish(or treasured possessions depending on your attitude ! ) .

On a more serious note , a friend lost her husband to cancer at a fairly young age around two years ago now and talking to her the other day she just doesn't know where to start with his collection which runs to something like three sheds full of dismantled motorcycles and three or four Landies in varying states of decay .

Been around MVs for 39 years in the RAF was involved with the GGs on both the 77/78 and 2002/3 national strikes, things green, Lt Stone, green & black are in my blood; in 97 bought a pile of 1943 ex Army scrap which became a gleaming coventry climax trailer pump, in 2003 went after a 1942 Morris to tow the pump, back prevented an enjoyable drive so bought a 1964 ex AFS Gipsy, the Gipsy and pump have been my pride & joy and Mrs A and the lab made a great crew. Mrs A's health means she canno longer do any lifting to help me and my back just gets worse; 3 weeks ago had the wheels off to give the brakes a going over- couldn't lift the wheels back on even using all my well developed techniques ! that night I put together an advert and the pair are up for sale ! Common sense must prevail and I have to stop kidding myself I can carry on with the hobby !! I will now concentrate on my other hobby which is in 1/76th scale.

Regards

TED

I presently own three MV's a '43 Ford GPW, a '41 Chevrolet G-7107 cargo and a recently acquired '87 Armstrong MT500. I am lucky in that my wife shares my love of all things green and actively involves herself in club events, however we are merely custodians of these vehicles, two of them are older than me :-D and my wish is for them to be looked after and cherished for future generations to enjoy, to that end I have made my wishes known as to the future of them and my family know their monetary as well as sentimental value. If I ever have to part with them through ill health I see them partly as a farewell gift to my wife who I know will do what's best for the vehicles involved and also my bit towards preserving our hobby. One that has given me so much enjoyment and a bunch of friends I treasure.:-)

Every now and then i get sell / give a lot of my aqquired kit away when selling a vehicle,i always want the new owner to feel like they are purchasing something very special..... ,i tend to want to see the stuff i used to display with the vehicle,continue to do so - i of course have no control over what happens to it once its driven out of sight - but it makes me feel good at the time and the new owner always seems to appreciate it.......and YES - i always regret it later - i often then spend ages trying to relocate items that i have previously given away to replace for my next vehicle / diahrama/display....

I guess this "culling" of aqquired kit helps keep the amount of stuff i hoard down - but i still always seem to have too much according to my wife....but not enough according to me !

The vehicles are left to my sons - the will is open in the wording that any vehicles or vehicle owned by myself at the time of my death is shared equally between them - they are both into the whole MV thing despite their young years,so appreciate the value and importance of such items.....

I would hope that my nearest and dearest would arrange at least a couple of MV's to take part in the funeral procession...and of course have some appropriate period music playing at some point of the service......such is the way to us die-hard mv owners.....

As for leaving the hobby before i meet my maker - ive always been in denial and said it will never happen......,but know that its only a "vehicle sale and some free kit thrown in" away (i often joke that the MVs are my back-up pension fund!).....im sure we have all thought about the alternatives.....a shiny vintage sports car......a camper van......something easier and less demanding......but then immediatly dismissed such thoughts and gone back out to the workshop to get oily and greasy again !

Sheds, garages, gardens... what are these strange things?

Oh, I think I remember, I must have had some, once.

I do have a Dinky Morris Quad parked in our cabinet, can't see many people wanting that, the rest of my collection is all edited images, not worried what happens to those at all once I'm gone.

trevor

Some very funny answers there. It is a difficult thing to do or have to contemplate.

With Mr DuFresne he died leaving everything to his son who was very interested but then promptly died in a car accident and everything was left to his sister. She inherited a large collection in sheds, a museum and a field full of stuff (which has just been auctioned off). Not sure what is going to happen to the rest. Just goes to show whatever plans you make you can never cover every eventuality.

Anyway whatever happens I do hope it is a long way off for everybody.

Perhaps the MVT / IMPS should produce a leaflet for owners to leave in a prominent place so that relatives will know what to do if and when the MV owner dies leaving MVs and related stuff. Clubs could organise to have the collection auctioned to other MV owners etc. rather than have it taken by the local house clearance firm, to the dump! I've known of a working Austin K9 Ambulance be towed away to the scrap yard because the person responsible for it did not realise that people collect such vehicles and as 'no one wanted it' so it got the chop. There are many older MV owners who are not on the internet, who never attend club meetings and no doubt can't get out to shows. If they hold on to their pride and joy in the garage, these vehicles are most at risk. I could do a whole new thread on where are they now with photos of MVs that have disappeared, which I suspect are examples of the above.

my fiance had a marriage before, the crash left her disabled and widowed.

her partners vehicles got sold off (a 101fc gs and a 109 ex raf with sankey)

she still got her 101fc ambulance and at the 2007 war and peace she was offered her old 109 back.

bought with the memories and it took me years to construct, play with metal to get it working again and mot'd

when she will die, i get to chose one vehicle to keep, the other goes to her son.

leaves me to think, when i die... i will never have kids to give tools and cars to.

this topic makes things churn in my head a bit bad. i hope i can foster the right girl, teach her to weld, maintain guns etc....

who knows in the future.:undecided:

I enjoy this thread. I have a registered museum (The Cove Collection Museum Inc.) which has approximately 5,000 items on display. 2,000 have a military significance and the rest, you name it.

My No.1 son was visiting yesterday, he said,"Dad, I need to talk to you about a delicate subject." Well, that was an interesting start to any conversation. I wasn't sure what was coming next. He said, "When you go, where am I going to put all this stuff?" Well my answer was along the lines of 'You and your brother know which vehicles you will each get and the rest can be sold if you are unable to locate the owner of any donated items. His reply was,' You don't understand Dad, We want it all but don't have the room to put anything. We want to keep it all." I replied that he had better lookout for a big shed on a big block and start planing. So it is over to them.

The donated items all or mostly have the donators details in the files and it is my wish to hand back those items. Why? Well a few years ago there was a museum in a closeby town which closed down and the owner held 3 BIG clearance sales and pocketed the lot. I do not want to be held in the low esteem that he now is. In fact, today I received a request from a donator for the return of a few small donations and I have had grandchildren visit and have offered their grandfathers donations back to them as we are all only just custodians.

I am selling two Ford Blitz, a 1940 Cab11 F30S, cab chassis with Chev axles and a low mileage 1941 F60L with a recouperator service van body. This truck still has the original factory fitted muffler and fan belts.

Let me know if your interested.

Regards Rick.

Then what happens when you go? Never ending problem isn't it ........ we collect too much crap ;)

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh I tell the missus it's all valuable collectable stuff

Not sure if she believes me sometimes :-\

Perhaps the MVT / IMPS should produce a leaflet for owners to leave in a prominent place so that relatives will know what to do if and when the MV owner dies leaving MVs and related stuff. Clubs could organise to have the collection auctioned to other MV owners etc. rather than have it taken by the local house clearance firm, to the dump! I've known of a working Austin K9 Ambulance be towed away to the scrap yard because the person responsible for it did not realise that people collect such vehicles and as 'no one wanted it' so it got the chop. There are many older MV owners who are not on the internet, who never attend club meetings and no doubt can't get out to shows. If they hold on to their pride and joy in the garage, these vehicles are most at risk. I could do a whole new thread on where are they now with photos of MVs that have disappeared, which I suspect are examples of the above.

that is precisely what I'm afraid of. I have left detailed instructions with my executor on how to go about advertising my stuff so that it is seen by the MV market not a general junk collector. I update it every now and them when a new possibility comes along (eg advertise on Milweb) but at the end of the day who knows what the executor will do as they won't have any emotional involvement in the stuff other than maximising its sale value

Do you know I started watching this thread and thought..... 'come on guys give it a break lighten up a bit'.......... but the more I read more I started thinking.

I have to say I don't think it's too much of an issue at a personal level as I have a son who has his own collection and is very aware of market prices and a daughter who spent her formative years around MV's and also knows market values and where to place them. My will as I suspect most married blokes says everything to my wife who also has spent 30 years around MV's then everything split between the kids 50/50 with the understanding that if either of them want a vehicle then they come to an arrangement with the other party regarding 50% of the market price otherwise every thing goes up for sale at current market price what ever that may be at the time.

However as this hobby/obsession seems to have a disproportionate age distribution towards the upper end I can see that for some this is a real issue, I agree with others in this thread who have voiced fears that their cherished vehicle will at best be sold off to the lowest bidder and I have seen a few come up on various market web sites this year, or at worst take a short trip to the weigh in scales.

I don't have any cheap quick answers to what in some cases is a very real issue, there is one case that I am aware off where an incredibly rare collection of same type vehicles may very well ultimately face this fate through lack of living relatives and a degree of forward thinking.

Hmmm very thought provoking, thanks for raising such an unlikely thread

Pete