Unwanted visitors

timbertractor57

soaring scrap prices have once again caused me grief, 7 weeks ago i had all the old batteries stolen from my yard that was bad enough but yesterday they returned and cut the cores out of all my spare matador radiators and sorted through all my new matador spares taking anything with a brass content............what is next the cores in the complete lorries ??. SO BEWARE TRUST NO ONE !!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my biggest fear is getting my tank and carrier spares robbed from outside the house, (carrier tracks are like rocking horse sh#t) but as the recession deepens it can only get worse, so buckle up fella's it's gonna be a bumpy ride !!!

eddy

Not too long ago my Dads factory was broken into during the shutdown period, plenty of containers of expensive alloys around, but the idiots, ripped out all the copper piping in the shower block and took the hot water tank! Everything had to be replace with plastic and the HW tank was replaced by a smaller on demand unit. It happens everywhere!

When I was looking for a 7V chassis a guy contacted me as his project vehicle had been stripped while at his storage site so he just wanted rid of it. The robbers had stolen the distributor, carb, fuel pump, radiator, starter motor cabling etc... anything with scrap value!

If scrap yards stopped paying out in cash. and asked for proof of a perminant address locally this may cut out the thieving scum travellers.

Nice idea - but it ain't gonna happen... Anyone tried that the Human Rights lawyers would be down like a flock of vultures (which they do bear more than a passing resemblance too!) on whoever tried it.....

Edited by ArtistsRifles

If scrap yards stopped paying out in cash. and asked for proof of a perminant address locally this may cut out the thieving scum travellers.

Couldn't agree more, 9 times out of 10 the scrap yard is little better than those who are doing the thieving in the first place. Always cash and no questions. Round our way they are even nicking the drain covers from the streets!! And the local plod seem to be powerless or unwilling to do anything about it. If they can't nail the nomad transit drivers because they dont actually live anywhere, they should shut down the scrapyards

For those of us who have no more security for their precious MV than to try and hide it round the back out of sight these are worrying times.

snowtracdave

It has to be down to dodgy scrap dealers as the legit one we use takes every detail to just short of your inside leg measurement before they let you unload .

Yes, I found the same, full I.D required or they won't deal with you and applies to small amounts as much as truck loads -so it's down to the authorities clamping down on dealers who don't carry out I.D checks -however there will always be ways around it, criminals are often more resouceful than the authorities give them credit for.

Yes, I found the same, full I.D required or they won't deal with you and applies to small amounts as much as truck loads -so it's down to the authorities clamping down on dealers who don't carry out I.D checks -however there will always be ways around it, criminals are often more resouceful than the authorities give them credit for.

Yup whilst one is nicking your lead, copper, aluminium etc the other one is busy nicking your ID.

Mike

mike65

.....the other one is busy nicking your ID.

Yes been done twice:( first time pastport and bank ID stolen by London based Yardies and second time bank account empty by some-one buying on Ebay. Both successfully prosecuted but some-one out there still has a cloned passport -which makes travel aboard no fun:(.

Where my Great Uncle has his boat moored all the boats on the river where broken into last week and had batteries and copper hot water tanks stolen ! Theft is bad enough but all these items are just cut out leaving plumbing and wiring to be repaired before you can refit the items ! My neighbour had his cat stolen from his Peugeot van outside his house £1100 pound repair bill when the insurance eventually paid out ! The day he got it back from the garage it was stolen again and insurance no longer covering it so hes had it welded on which may slow them down next time but I doubt it ! Makes you wonder why we go to work !!!! :mad::mad::mad:

working in the catering equipment industry we are asked every day if we have any scrap by certain people ,if we are out in the flat bed truck we are always being clocked ........putting a scrap fryer in a van this morn we were asked by a guy if we wanted to sell it ( it was only out in public view 2 min if that ):mad:

agree more i now drive for a skip company and our skips are always emptied of scrap from outside peoples houses , our bonus gone ! our scrap , and why do they take all the surface water drain lids from side of main roads for someone to fall down and break a leg ect , :argh:

Scrap is a money spinner on all levels it seems, we had a new cooker and fridge delivered recently by a large retailer, and we were asked if we had old units to be taken away.

Since we had only just moved in we didnt have anything to dispose of. When I enquired as to where all the old stuff went, it turns out that it is a nice profit maker in scrap money for said retailer. You can imagine how many people are all too pleased to get shot of an old unit, but even these have a value!!

private mw

.....agree more i now drive for a skip company and our skips are always emptied of scrap from outside peoples houses , our bonus gone ! our scrap

Anything of any value the leckys, plumbers and a myriad of other builders will have picked over it long before the skip driver gets to it -especially at the moment:-D. that's what gets me about these idiot standing on the roof of transit pickups -they seem to think that only they understand that metal has a value -the idea that anyone is going to hand over copper or lead building scrap is ridiculous -mind it's impossible to leave aluminium ladders unguarded for a moment:-(

the same **** happens over here (Belgium) , thieves rip off brass rainpipes from the walls of houses , daily , brass leads get stolen from railway yards , causing very big trouble to the railway traffic, and every now and than , someone gets electrocuted trying to steal copper from high voltage stations when still in service , the idiots !!!!:cool2:

Hmm theft is a real problem for sure and the law is generally powerless to do much about it...we wont imprison someone for such deeds and the number of deprived teenagers and young adults out there is off the scale.

Anarchy is coming..

the Police are too busy being politically correct, worrying about our health and safety by chasing us for speeding to save our lives, so that we can be robbed tomorrow by the thieves who have their rights too and cannot be arrested. Unless they are speeding then they are in real trouble..they will have their licence taken away and then become uninsured drivers and still be out there robbing us.

I know its very cynical but its just a bit too close to the truth to be comfortable...

My brother in law recently had the lead taken from his conservatory. He lives in a terraced house in Ashbourne Kent, even though they were both at home at the time. Nothing is safe!

I was working in a scap dealers a while ago, Its a large company seperating and melting down several metals. Next door to the Laboratory was a large shed with a set of scales in the middle and I watched as all day cars pulled up to the scales, off loaded into the scales and then got paid. It all looked dodgy.

This is the reason scrap is stolen....its easy to offload it.

A friend of mine had the engine decks removed and stolen from his cvrt recently needless to say he was'nt that impressed .i would suggest putting up good metal security fencing but they'd only steal that aswell :mad:

Hmm theft is a real problem for sure and the law is generally powerless ......

Anarchy is coming....

Don't knows about anarchy, more like civil war. Only it wont involve race or religon, it'll just the good, honest taxpaying types against the thieves, spongers and general toe-rags

Honest...hmm now there's one of the most misused words in the English Language.

thieves spongers and general toe rags, crikey will be difficult not to group everyone into one of those categories...

we have over intrusive law into the general public's lives so much so that the crime that actually bothers the public is sidelined, although much of the public today is increasingly belligerent and anti establishment, hence my statement anarchy is coming...

We know the speeding issue, its to save our lives. We generally don't want it and there is clear evidence that speeding is NOT the trouble, but still millions of resources are poured into making roads more dangerous to slow us down or installing speed cameras...

Its all very cynical and hypocritical...but the UK is being taken over...and no amount of laws will change that..anyone know of a policeman doing a good deed recently or interacting with the Public in a positive way...I do not...but it is not the Policemens fault they have a tough job made harder by the law which does everything it can to stop them from doing a good job...it is such a shame that this wonderful country, a leader in so many industries and has its name on much of the current civilised worlds technology and morality is slowly sinking into its own self made abyss.

still love the place for now...