buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

there are of course the feldom wrecks, which has both buried and abandoned tanks. for those that aren't aware feldom is a disused infantry anti-tank range in yorkshire and has several wrecks modern and ww2, there's 3 churchill hulls on the surface and one mk 7 buried. rob nixon recovered a sherman from there and also uncovered the churchill, there's a post on the forum if you type in feldom you'll see rob's pics and here's a few of my own

Sorry but I/ME/MYSELF AND ABOVE ALL OTHERS!!!! Have at some point been resonsible for the intrim damage caused to these vehicles here during my/our training.

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to an old chap on thursday and he used to drive bulldozers and draglines in the army. He has told me that he actually pushed and drove lots of military vehicles including tanks into huge pits he had and his crew had dug just after the war. The site of which is an ex american camp near frome somerset. He is coming with me soon to show me exactly where it was. The ground looks very disturbed where he has described so heres hoping! I will keep you all informed.................

Sorry to disappoint guys!! He text me the picture of the tank across this morning.. its a funny looking Sherman!! :undecided: It is interesting none the less, that's dumped out in a forest somewhere so he says?

DSC00578.jpg

It is a Chieftain MK10

When i was a kid, ** years ago, we used to go over to Budby Training Area in the summer hols, where we played on an old Churchill tank, an old Centurion tank and a very rusty Sherman hull.

Would any one, per chance, know what became of these wonderful old play things. I used to spend hours in the drivers seat of the Churchill, (the Cent was welded shut) it could explain why these two are my favorite tanks of all time. :wave:

A three page report about the three tanks at the Budby training ground,part of Proteus traing camp, apeared in Windscreen magazine December 1988 edition. The Curchill reportedly was to be restored at bovington and then to be taken to Normandy to be used as a commeration to the D day landings.The complete Cent was to be taken to a range for use as hard target no mention was made as to the fate of the Cent Chassis (not Sherman).

Nice to see that the Polish Gov. is taking the concept of people stealing parts of this tank very seriously, looks to me like they have called in the police to watch over the tank, as well as a team for combating crime to watch over the police :)

one of my favourites, an early churchill used by the canadians, after it broke down it was deemed too difficult to recover and so was used as a training aid for piat practice (judging by the holes).

this churchill is on the south downs in sussex. you can read more about it's history here. http://www.findonvillage.com/0959_more_on_the_tank_on_our_downland.htm

try this you tube clip.

Re My post on 24/1/2011 about the Sherman DD dug up near Imber on Salisbury Plain, I have just found out Where it went. The dug another hole and re-buried it!!!! Apparentley as it was not on any list of hard targets or other assets it was less hassle to bury it again rather than salvage it. There is also the other Tortoise prototype (The surviving one is in the Tank Museum) buried near it, this was uncovered about 15 years ago and again re-buried. Makes you weep doesn't it!

There were 6 tortoise built 1 is exhibited at Bovington,1 is the wreck on Kirkcudbright (which might be the disarmed A39 used for mine tests) of the others 1 was at bovy until around 1972 (and was largely intact) it went to Lulworth and the remains are believed to have been cleared -although one of the tracks lay next to the Tank Museum car park for at least 30years.

So if the story of another buried in SPTA is correct that leaves 2 to be accounted for -1 went to Germany in 1946 for various trials for running excessive loads -perhaps it was struck off over there?

Possibly this is the camp/depot of the trials of remanufactured Churchill Tanks code name Trent-certainly none of those in this test were lost.

I would imagine any other tanks bogging would be recovered in short order after all there would be loads of willing hands to help out from the trainees:D I'm sure. Having looked at a few War Diaries I have never seen any recording officer admit to loosing a tank to bogging.

In 1939, 1500 men were detailed to refurbish the camp for military personnel, and a proper power station was built together with a major building programme of Nissan huts. Proper gunnery ranges were constructed with concrete block houses every 100 yards down them (some can still be seen), and there was a tank maneuvering and practice range towards Rubers Law. The whole camp was buzzing with activity for the whole of World War II and was known as the Scottish Aldershot. After the war the camp was used for the resettlement of Polish soldiers before they returned home and in 1959 the whole camp was totally dismantled and sold off. Today the reservoir dam is breached, the holding ponds are dry and silted up, a few concrete buildings still stand and the bases of some of the buildings can still be discerned. The ghostly silent slit trenches occasionally trap unwary sheep, which die because they cannot scramble out. Nature is steadily taking back her own.

NB. the reference to Rubers Law

Somewhere on the internet these is a historical site with OS map of the tank range with rails for target trolley.

http://www.oldgalaclub.org.uk/14-07-05_stobbs_camp.htm

========

Little is reported on this period, although it seems the camp gained its own power station. References are made to tanks, with the wet and boggy nature of the ground being said to have claimed some of their number.

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/StobsCamp

========

Well - the thread is titled Buried and abandoned tanks , I also doubt if any were so bogged in the Uk tyhat they were not recovered.

I do know Stobs Camp has been well metal detected over the years , but the tank range location is unknown to me and seems more remote from the main camps , obviously on a hillside..

A three page report about the three tanks at the Budby training ground,part of Proteus traing camp, apeared in Windscreen magazine December 1988 edition. The Curchill reportedly was to be restored at bovington and then to be taken to Normandy to be used as a commeration to the D day landings.The complete Cent was to be taken to a range for use as hard target no mention was made as to the fate of the Cent Chassis (not Sherman).

What would be the chances of getting a copy of said issue, reasonable or zero?

I would like to read that article.

Hi All. Stobs possibly could have been used as a base for Trent. It had its own railway station with the biggest sidings on the Waverley Line so this might have been the easiest way to get a quantity of tanks into the middle of nowhere. Even today, Stobs isnt an easy drive by car let alone tank!

There are lots of rumours of sunken tanks/armour in the Borders, as i stated earlier in this thread. One guy I spoke to even told me that a Humber scout car was sitting on a local farm. This was in the late eighties (Hangingshaws?) but I cant see how one would have been left there.

A friend of mine does claim to have found Sten guns at Stobs in the past, but I cant corroberate this.

Dave.

David I

One guy I spoke to even told me that a Humber scout car was sitting on a local farm.

It might sound unbelieveable but at least one Humber Scout Car was used as the basis (shorn of armour) for a buggy on a grouse/dear/game moor in Scotland so quite possible a Humber or other scout car could have been bought for similar purpose.