buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

By the powers of cut and paste, just lifted this off the Fortean Times website;

"I remember an old tale from Stockton on Tees about a number of Sherman Tanks that were buried under a huge slag heap near to an iron and steel reclamation plant in the Oxbridge part of the town! I always wondered why they didn't just melt these things down for scrap or simply use them - there were severe shortages of all raw materials after WWII, plus a new (Cold) war in the offing - so wouldn't it make sense to do this?"

diver99

"I remember an old tale from Stockton on Tees about a number of Sherman Tanks that were buried under a huge slag heap near to an iron and steel reclamation plant in the Oxbridge part of the town!

eddy8men

i heard a similar tale about a churchill under a slag heap in sheffield but i don't hold out any hope of ever finding it

There is probably quite a simple reason for these stories un cut steel (as opposed to nicely shredded tin from scrapped cars) takes a lot of prep to make it smeltable -another example is one of the Irish Churchills was cut up after they were declared obsolete- they used the other for targeting of Charlie G etc and actually buried the other- the reason was it took too much effort to cut it up (I believe it may have been the sole Mk7 so not a case of cutting through the rivets).

In both stories the tanks were buried in steel slag again a raw material for resmelting that takes a lot of prep and energy for a pretty poor return. I am sure that in both these instances eventually the slag and vehicles would have been processed through the smelters- (I am fairly sure the slag piles have long gone) -but even nationalised steel industries had to show returns to their "betters" so the slag and unreduced vehicles would have waited either a time when metal was extremely short (expensive) or the price of smelting was reduced or technology improved- price reduced -probably simple economics -one of the reason why most of the iron rallings ripped out in 1938-42 ended up being dumped in the North Sea -it was uneconomical to process.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

Simular story as the American Civil War cannons that were donated during the WW2 scrape metal drives that a number were reclaimed by the original donor towns after the war as over as they regreted donating them and the cannons had not be cut up as not worth the effort so they had been set aside. iirc.

Steve

Have you any documentary evidence to substantiate that railings etc were dumped in the sea ?

On another Furum this topic emerged and nothing could be proven........

Bob

Bob, if i can find the newspaper article from the 80's, a bloke in devon believed he had located the dump on dartmoor where the iron railing collection had been taken from the devon area. This could also be parts of a WW1 tank which was a plinth vehicle in Millbay.

Bob Grundy...Have you any documentary evidence to substantiate that railings etc were dumped in the sea ?
Nope just a rumour -this thread is meant as a dumping ground for the tittle-tattle and rumour.

It is quite possible that scrap iron was dumped to deny access to coastal U boats and this has led to such rumours -however I think the straight dumping rumour is more likely -as before the basic oxygen process took hold in the steel industry reducing scrap and slag was a percentage of the amount of steel that could be produced limited to 10-25% if I remember correctly and iron reprocessing was tiny- Newcastle -Blaydon being one last places to do it on a commercial scale at the Delta Iron Works plant- which also produced track until the 1970s.

Steve

one of my favourites, an early churchill used by the canadians, after it broke down it was deemed too difficult to recover and so was used as a training aid for piat practice (judging by the holes).

this churchill is on the south downs in sussex. you can read more about it's history here. http://www.findonvillage.com/0959_more_on_the_tank_on_our_downland.htm

Tank Kithurst Hill 055-1.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

Hi Rick

It was a infantry training target, piat and Boys A/T target but was not a stuck mired in abandonned tank, it was a "dead head" -which seems to be a Canadian term for a vehicle suffering a total breakdown -possibly a engine -transmission fire, it was also too bad that the rework people classed it as not worth returning to the factory for the remanufacturing programme. -abut 250 were supposed to be not worth rebuilding -but considering the tanks that were rebuilt there is no rythm or reason to the age of the tanks reworked. It may be like T30971 (the Ist production churchill which had m/s plate) that the armour was not up to the job.

The Storrington tank is early c/w camel humps (the bumps on early tanks in place of the skid rails) when recovered it looked much better -it had a turret and track. It is mentioned that there is a turret in a nearbye copse but whether that is the churchills turret or is the remains of another target , who knows.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I had a visit from my mate from Carnwath today, and showed him this thread. The area you are looking at near the A70 is about 10 miles out from where the tank is. You are looking at a range near Kirknewton.

IWe looked on google earth and found the control bunker, and I noted the co ordinates at the bottom of the page:

55(degrees- cant find the little o on my keyboard)45'00.03''N 3(degrees) 32'09.73''W Elevation 359M.

If this means anything, you should find the building. The tank would be in this area.

Dave.

Thanks for that David I see if can find it.

The little "0" is not on a standard key board it can be accessed in the start menu/ all programs/ Accessories/ Character Map in XP but I can't find it in windows 7 -I'm beginning to regret changing the O/S system:computerrage::banghead::angry:confused:

for windows 7 open start menu (the micro soft logo in the left bottom of screen type character map into "search progams and files" and enter Character Map. The degree sign ° is Alt-0176 -depress Alt key and type in 0176 on right hand key pad and the degree sign ° should appear at the cursor of your text ° .

Edited by steveo578
addition

well spotted sean. don't fancy trying to recover them though

steve when you've found the tank in question pm me and we'll go up and grab it before the rest of the guys cotton on ;)

eddy

But i have just applied for a visa for scotland, to go and recover. The tank is next to the stone of scone and the treasure which bonnie prince charlie left, allegedly at end of caledonian canal, but i have a feeling its not there.