What is the best looking tank or AFV and why?

agripper

Been going through by books resently and got to thinking which is the best looking tank and AFV. I know that the look does not always mean it is the best what what it was to have done. My question is this. when you look at a Tank you expect to be both in terror and respect. So for you which is the best looking?:cool2:

For me - either the King Tiger or the Panther tie for first place - both look pleasing to the eye and have a "presence" about them - closely followed by the Soviet IS-3 - also pleasing to the eye but with a "Presence about it".

Centurion and Conqueror in 4th and 5th and then the Swedish Strijdswagen (S-Tank).

I would say for me its the crusader, I know it was not a very good tank but do think at the time it look modern and its appearance gave the impression of strength. For most impossing would agree with the IS3, looks like it would eat you alive and could'nt be touched by anything.

My recently discovered M114 which is like a dinky car or mini mi, could even be called cute :blush: Theres a very small german one also??

[ATTACH]27828[/ATTACH]

M110 A-2 has that big gun look

[ATTACH]27827[/ATTACH]

Tracked Vehicle/Tank - No.1 spot just has to be The Centurion.:cool2:

Wheeled AFV - No.1 spot obvoiusly the Alvis Saracen, (my one!):cool2::-D

Wheeled AFV - No.2 spot goes to Daimler Ferret.:cool2:

Wheeled Non-armoured Military Vehicle - No.1 spot Alvis Stalwart Mk2:cool2:

Do love the Saladin armoured car. does have that wow factor, shoud have thought about this abit more as there are so many i like the looks of. I love the Centurion but also dont think it has the best look though Itr is my fav tank. thinks it the wheel stations that let it down. :blush:

Only one tank has the right presence and looks, and that tank is the Conqueror, big tank, big gun, never drove one, unfortunately the enemy would hear it coming 15 miles away, but it sounded like a tank should, as did the Chieftain, (if you overlooked the smoke). Next came the Cent, but it sounded rubbish if the driver was over-revving, ie bringing the governors into operation, all that popping and banging and backfiring. As the Merkava was initially based on the Cent I'll allow that in, but I don't know a lot about CR1 and 2. (After my time). Good looking tanks though. Anything else? Not interested!

From a Chieftain and Centurion driver. (and very pro British)

Edited by Meteor mark 4B

they are not a tank they are an assault landing craft or similar words...Still think Merkava 4 is the best looker..it is big it is strong and it is well proven in war...it has the german 120 mm gun, is 68 tons of very well built tank with the engine up front for added protection etc etc...and yes it was designed around the Centurion which had proven itself to be the best tank the israelis had once it had a reliable american air cooled engine.

Why do we always build what appear to be unreliable, high maintenance engines for our MV's. The B80 the meteor, the K60, etc etc..ooh just noticed the theme Rolls Royce...saying no more excellent engines...:blush:

Hi Paulob1,

You are scaring me with your B80 reliability theory!

Why do we always build what appear to be unreliable, high maintenance engines for our MV's. The B80 the meteor, the K60, etc etc..ooh just noticed the theme Rolls Royce...saying no more excellent engines...:blush:

paulob1

..........they are not a tank they are an assault landing craft or similar words...Still think Merkava 4 is the best looker ....and yes it was designed around the Centurion which had proven itself to be the best tank the israelis had once it had a reliable american air cooled engine.

The thread line say "or AFV" so the Amtrack is in, with regard to the infered unreliablity of the original Centurion Meteor engine- the Israelis couldn't cope with them initially although they fought with Meteors in the 1967 and 1973 war, the British and others users, notably Jordan and India, never had reliablity problem with the Meteor.

I suppose I should put in word for a favourite -the A13 covenantor- useless as a tank but looks sporty and well balanced. For armoured car I would go for the Coventry (as Daimler has already been mentioned) again for balanced appearance -but not a great vehicle otherwise.

Steve