Ferret - list of in service photos in bovington archive

Fugly

Hello All you ferret owners

I spent the afternoon at Bovington Tank Museum looking for an in service pic of 02CC12 . Didn't find one but did make a list of the number plates I could read on the photos - There are some great pictures there , and I had a facinating 2 hours (Thanks to the library!).

I have a list of about 140 ferret numbers where a pic is available , if anyone wants to enquire please PM me. The best photo was a Mk 1/1 covered in camo - bushes etc being driven off a temporary bridge over a river . The rear of the photo had "OPERATION SPEARPOINT" written on it. There was no visible number (hidden with camo) and it had a single perspex screen fitted and a drivers screen

I found a simiar colour photo showing 02CC05 (nearly mine!!) crossing a bridging vehicle.

Wish me luck - starting operation "remove the gearbox this weekend"...:shocked:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a moment, would you please check on 02 DA 11 and 01 CA 55. Thank You.

Do you know the history of 01 CA 55 in 1966?

PS and are there any pictures of it on the list?

Edited by fv1609

Hello All you ferret owners

I spent the afternoon at Bovington Tank Museum looking for an in service pic of 02CC12 . Didn't find one but did make a list of the number plates I could read on the photos - There are some great pictures there , and I had a facinating 2 hours (Thanks to the library!).

I have a list of about 140 ferret numbers where a pic is available , if anyone wants to enquire please PM me. The best photo was a Mk 1/1 covered in camo - bushes etc being driven off a temporary bridge over a river . The rear of the photo had "OPERATION SPEARPOINT" written on it. There was no visible number (hidden with camo) and it had a single perspex screen fitted and a drivers screen

I found a simiar colour photo showing 02CC05 (nearly mine!!) crossing a bridging vehicle.

Wish me luck - starting operation "remove the gearbox this weekend"...:shocked:

Excersise Spearpoint was a major FTX (Field Training Exercise) in the 70's. I should know, I was one of those on it! :red:

If you can find 00cc09 or 08bb48 I'd be a happy

There was a picture of a ferret 00CC09 , black and white , appeared to be on an aircraft. You may have seen it before - it was in volume "A" of the ferret pics. (There were about 6 volumes, each quite small)

Best bet if you want a copy is to email the librarian at Bovington and see if you can get a proof copy emailed to you - shouldn't take him long to find that pic. I made a comment on my record shet that it was on an aircraft - being loaded?

I would get a proof first as I had alot of numbers to write down and some of the pics were hard to read.

Hope you hit the jackpot !

Nothing on 08BB48 - Sorry !

There was a picture of a ferret 00CC09 , black and white , appeared to be on an aircraft. You may have seen it before - it was in volume "A" of the ferret pics. (There were about 6 volumes, each quite small)

Best bet if you want a copy is to email the librarian at Bovington and see if you can get a proof copy emailed to you - shouldn't take him long to find that pic. I made a comment on my record shet that it was on an aircraft - being loaded?

I would get a proof first as I had alot of numbers to write down and some of the pics were hard to read.

Hope you hit the jackpot !

Nothing on 08BB48 - Sorry !

Its not this one is it? Its just to small to make out the registration, I've enlarged it and that doesn't help and inverted the colours still no joy.

Thanks for looking anyway

When you have a moment, would you please check on 02 DA 11 and 01 CA 55. Thank You.

Hello

I found no photos for either i'm afraid

nearest hits were

01CA26

01CA46

01CA53/58 (LAST DIGIT DIFFICULT TO READ! DONT THINK IT WAS A 5 THOUGH)

01CA14

01CA70

01CA30

Cheers

Jim

Its not this one is it? Its just to small to make out the registration, I've enlarged it and that doesn't help and inverted the colours still no joy.

Thanks for looking anyway

Yep. Im pretty sure thats it. Did yours come from a book?

Jim

Good luck with the gearbox, I thought the brake pipes were bad enough.

I know you said pm me, but, seeing as there is a bit of a free for all on this thread, can I ask about 00CA40?

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul

Could not see 00CA40 - I have 2 pics of 00CC54 though.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

I can't remember where it came from must admit but thanks anyway I'll be e-mailing Bovington for the picture

I seem to remember it was a clear picture, worth having a look at. There were a few pics of Ferrets in aircraft :

04ED06

03ED82

01EC02

01DC03

One of the pics was a blurry pic of a palleted Ferret going out of the back of a transport aircraft , presumably to be parachuted down - Hope the chute opened ! :shocked:

Jim