Ferret - list of in service photos in bovington archive

Fugly

Andy,

Those are chieftain bins.

Chris

I wish someone had thought of those bins for our XPM boxes. nice.

The annoying thing is that when we ripped the float screens off our CVR(T)s, we mounted these bins on the float screen collar in their place, so the idea was there, just didn't make it to Command Troop, which was unusual.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I went to Bovvy libary, they did ask you to phone in advance and make an appointment. It also gives the librain a chance to dig out what you want, so saves a lot of your time. I got a lovley set of pictures of Dodges in British service from them, then just paid for the enlargements I specificaly wanted. Do ask before you post any of thier pictuires on the web, it's polite and provided you acknowledge where they came from normally no problem.

On the note of vehicle history card's, can anyone explain my one, I don't understand a lot of it.:cool2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63018[/ATTACH] I know this pic is hard to read: Vehicle reg, 00DD24.Type of vehicle: A. ( I am guessing this refers to it being armoured as opposed to soft skin "B" vehicle). Vehicle asset code, A 03 (0130 4231 is crossed off) 0135 4000. (I think this means it was fitted with a GPMG). EIN, 1HB08. UIN, A0362A 16/3/76.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63019[/ATTACH]

I also need to re stamp a new data plate, I have a new blank plate. It would be nice to know what to put where, (some of it is self explanatory) especially the mod's and overhaul's etc.

I Want to stamp my new date plate but not sure what to put in the "class of repair, date, wksps. no, inspection" section, any help would be great.

Ross

I Want to stamp my new date plate but not sure what to put in the "class of repair, date, wksps. no, inspection" section, any help would be great.

Ross

Ross

PM me your email address and I will send you something which might help.

Cheers

Matt

On the note of vehicle history card's, can anyone explain my one, I don't understand a lot of it.:cool2:

I know this pic is hard to read: Vehicle reg, 00DD24.Type of vehicle: A. ( I am guessing this refers to it being armoured as opposed to soft skin "B" vehicle). Vehicle asset code, A 03 (0130 4231 is crossed off) 0135 4000. (I think this means it was fitted with a GPMG). EIN, 1HB08. UIN, A0362A 16/3/76.

My bold: UIN = Unit Imprest Number. This is actually a Pay thing. It describes the imprest account run by the unit (for a full and proper definition see for example: http://www.wikicfo.com/Wiki/Default.aspx?Page=Imprest-Account&NS=&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 ), in other words, the account used by the Pay Office (in my day: whatever it is called in the modern world) for the handling of cash payments (for example Acquittance Roll cash payments to soldiers), receipts etc. within the regiment (unit). A unique UIN described every major and independent minor unit in the army (and I suspect the rest of the armed forces).

A prefix indicates Army.

A suffix indicates a primary Imprest Account (almost always. Very rarely a sub-unit on detached duty may get another suffix. So while 15/19H, A0124A had B squadron in UNFICYP and C Squadron as Cyprus Armoured Car Squadron, each of these squadrons, each running its own Pay Office, might have had a non-"A" suffixed Imprest Account, for example A0124B - I cannot actually remember after 36 years whether we did or not, but we could have done. In fact it might have been A0124D, but don't quote me.)

The four digits identified the unit.

Royal Armoured Corps units' UINs were apparently consecutive in the range either side of 15/19H, A0124A.

12 Armoured Workshop REME was A1112A (major unit to 31 Dec 82; minor unit from 1 Jan 83) and the other REME workshops again occupied the range around this.

Because UIN uniquely identified a unit, there was no necessity to create another identity number for units. The term therefore passed (incorrectly but understandably) into common usage as Unit Identity Number.

@all

thanks for your answers. Unfortunately I am located in Germany. So it´s not too easy to get to Bovington.

@ferrettkitt

Yes you can use the picture on your website.

By the way you can add 33 BA 24 as runner then.

Uwe

Sweet many thanks its appreciated

@all

thanks for your answers. Unfortunately I am located in Germany. So it´s not too easy to get to Bovington.

@ferrettkitt

Yes you can use the picture on your website.

By the way you can add 33 BA 24 as runner then.

Uwe

Hi Uwe

I have added your ferret to the ferret register. Would you be able to confirm the hull number?

Thanks

Matt

Picture below this came from Brad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47447[/ATTACH]

sorry but this is not an in service photo of 02DA45, its a 35mm b&w I did when I had this ferret.

the photo was taken in my yard in Herefordshire around 1998, I do still have the photo.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Have just downloaded the spreadsheet - so near and yet so far! 38 BA 13 is on there but not my Ferret - 38 BA 15 hull number 843

Scanty details: entered service 23/12/54 nothing known until 1969 when it was in Cyprus with Queen's Own Hussars and 3 RTR. Returned to Ludgershall and the 72 to 75 Cambridge University OTC when it was cast and nothing until 2004 when I bought it from an RLC Major at Azimghur Barracks, Wiltshire. My first outing on public roads was the 90 mile drive home!