Ferret - list of in service photos in bovington archive

Fugly

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know the history of 01 CA 55 in 1966?

PS and are there any pictures of it on the list?

Fugly, thank you for checking,

Clive, I will assume your question above is for me. My history card from Bovington shows an In-Service date of January 1959 but no entries until December 1967 and runs through December 1982. Although I am the first to admit I have difficulty reading the cards. I could very well have missed something. Do you know this vehicle? Regards, Bob

Any chance of looking for 03-CC-51?

Hi

Sorry , did not see that one

I found

03CC22 (PREPARED FOR THE GULFWAR)

03CC83

03CC31

I have a vague pic of 03CC47 (MK 1/1)

If you send me an email on jim@strategicplacements.com I will add your number to my wants list and i may find one in the future!

Just spent all day stripping gearbox out of ferret , including a bucket of soil !

Jim

Clive, I will assume your question above is for me. My history card from Bovington shows an In-Service date of January 1959 but no entries until December 1967 and runs through December 1982. Although I am the first to admit I have difficulty reading the cards. I could very well have missed something. Do you know this vehicle? Regards, Bob

The reason I asked was that 01 CA 55 served with the RUC from 25/3/66 to 2/5/66. It was one of eleven Ferrets available in case of trouble relating to 50 years on from the Easter Uprising of 1916. After the anniversary had passed they were returned & the new Shorlands started to be delivered.

Here is one of them on duty.

RUCFerretKilleen16-4-66.jpg

It apperars on this clip at 1.37.54 & note the RUC FV1609 before that at 42.14

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=71547

Clive, Thank You very much for the history on 01 CA 55 and the possible picture. The only hint I ever had was the History Card and there is not much detail there that I could decipher. What you posted is the only information that has ever surfaced on either vehicle. O1 CA 55 is warm and dry living in my shed with

02 DA 11 and a Saracen I have no numbers on. Regards, Bob

Clive, Thank You very much for the history on 01 CA 55 and the possible picture. The only hint I ever had was the History Card and there is not much detail there that I could decipher. What you posted is the only information that has ever surfaced on either vehicle. O1 CA 55 is warm and dry living in my shed with

02 DA 11 and a Saracen I have no numbers on. Regards, Bob

It was assigned a RUC "Fleet No." 1018. On some vehicles this was painted in the drivers cab area. So it would be super if you found that somewhere. It retained its military registration for its duration of use, unlike some types of Army vehicles that received local civilian registrations.

The other 2/4 in use at that time were:

00 CE 60

07 CA 19

00 CA 04

08 BB 69

00 CA 74

01 CA 54

86 BA 77

01 CA 10

00 CA 77

01 CA 61

Could you please check Ferret 00 EA 74

Bob

Sorry Bob but it was not there . There were 150 pics of a possible 4400 (ish) vehicles , so there are only 3.3 % of the entire number of ferrets pictured at Bovington.

I will keep an eye out though , I am building a database....

Its not this one is it? Its just to small to make out the registration, I've enlarged it and that doesn't help and inverted the colours still no joy.

Thanks for looking anyway

This is a clear picture (well it is on my PC) send me a PM with your email and I will send over my copy - its definately 09

00 DC 09.jpg

This is a clear picture (well it is on my PC) send me a PM with your email and I will send over my copy - its definately 09

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21226[/ATTACH]

Hi Jim,

I've sent that list back to you as pdf so that you can attach it to this thread. I'm not stealing you're thunder by doing it myself

I had 00dc09 on the site as that number I had thought that it might be my Ferret 00cc09 it looked like it could be if I squinted the right way. I'm still happy though as the list has my Ferret 00cc09 on it. I'll be emailing Bovington and asking for a scan or a copy.

In the list that you sent how would Bovington go about finding a particular picture are they in volumes or albums?

Hi Jim,

I've sent that list back to you as pdf so that you can attach it to this thread. I'm not stealing you're thunder by doing it myself

I had 00dc09 on the site as that number I had thought that it might be my Ferret 00cc09 it looked like it could be if I squinted the right way. I'm still happy though as the list has my Ferret 00cc09 on it. I'll be emailing Bovington and asking for a scan or a copy.

In the list that you sent how would Bovington go about finding a particular picture are they in volumes or albums?

Hi !

The photo in question (I think it appears twice ) once in album " A" and again in album "D" - The picture in album "D" is amongst some other pictures of ferrets being strapped to pallets ready to be either carried in an aircraft , or parachuted from one - I recollect that one of the photos was a blurry shot of a palletised ferret being shoved out at some altitude. I couldn't see the number on that one. Either way I hopefully it survived. If you email the librarian t Bovington (address on their website) it should not take him long to find it using those references, and your reg number.

A lot of the photos at BTM seemd to be of various trials and tests of a few wacky devices, including a snorkel device.

Eitehr way none of them suffered the fate of this ferret (apparantly in Cyprus..):-X

FERRET ON FIRE CYPRUS.jpg

How often were Ferrets dropped by parachute is this a trial?

Were any other armoured vehicles dropped by parachute?

Andy - I have made an error

The photo in album "A" I have listed as 00CC09 NOT 00DC09 - I have explained more fully in the email, either way - OOPS !

The pic in album "D" is def 00DC09.

rEGARDS

JIM

• 1 year later...
I ask because I just bought 02 DA 45 from Brad Mills.

Robin Craig helped me source this very clean vehicle. I have one in service pic. Was hoping for more.

Al

Picture below this came from Brad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47447[/ATTACH]

Edited by ferrettkitt

33 BA 64 anyone? In nearly 10 years of owning her we've never seen an in service picture :-(

I have a CD somewhere off Pete XRH with a list of Ferrets that I haven't uploaded to the site yet. Don't get you're hopes up I can't find the CD at the moment and you're Ferret might not be amongst them.

Jim (fugly) looked through the Tank Museums Ferret album (s) for a picture of his Ferret and sent me the list of what he had found and that could easily be identified by eye. 33BA64 isn't in those Ferret album (s) I may add. But it could be in view in some of the other AFV albums but it would mean going down and looking through those albums.

Edited by ferrettkitt