Why do you wear military uniforms?

robin craig

The point that popped up that interested me was the wearing of ranks, insignia and medals. I noticed the military code of practice was raised. I was under the impression it was illegal by civil law.

I realise it is not enforced but I suppose neither was the MV export permit requirements.

Just curious what civi law says about it and what date the law is from, if there is such a law.

I understand that the UK Civil Law you refer to ONLY covers the wearing of British Uniforms, and other countries are not covered. Can anyone confirm the ruling?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW I do wear period kit of 1942 desert era when with the appropriate LRDG (a unit disbanded at end of WW2) vehicles as part of a display or to enhance the vehicle era/history. I do like to see drivers wearing period kit or variations of instead of the afore mentioned cords/jeans, anoraks etc. I don't like the re-enactor side of things but each to their own I suppose.

As a Para of 30 Years (Now logistics last 5 to present) I do take offence at all of those wearing wings that they have not earned, as stated in earlier post re after doing P Company etc. On my period uniform I wear my wings (I am an APJI) and my current rank but suppose as I have came all the way up from Pte I could wear any I had been in past too! I also have many foreign wings including US, French and German and if I was a re-enactor could rightfully wear those wings on a period uniform too. I do not believe in wearing medals at all (period or ones rightfully earned)

I know it is important to get all of the detail right when showing a uniform especially for photos, displays etc but owners should point out to joe public that they are portraying a unit, person, type of uniform etc. This is similar to us making sure we get all the proper items and equipment to put onto (or hang off) our vehicles.

Just my tuppence worth

Gary

fesm ndt

Just curious what civi law says about it and what date the law is from, if there is such a law.

The Act is the 1894 Uniforms Act

And quoting from the Statute Law web site

1) It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent . . . . . . any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation.

(2) If any person contravenes this section he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [ level 3 on the standard scale].

It only applies to H.M. Forces and whether this could include countries who are members of the Commonwealth is unknown to me, it would probably require review by a judge or commisioner. I would think this is unlikely and should anyone be arrested or summoned for wearing the uniform of a Commonwealth country it would probably be kicked by the resident CPS officer. It is significant that the act not only predates the formation of the Commonwealth in 1949 but also the Dominion Acts.

There is an Act of 1958 which deals with the service of U.S. personel in the U.K. so it may contraveen this act if some-one wore current U.S. service unifrom.

Obviously wearing a unifrom with intent to commit another (serious) offence would certainly incure a heavy penalty.

On the lighter side

Tony B

Because for me to wear a short skirt and high heels would be impratical.

That would only be an offence if done as part of an attempt to commit another offence -for example fraud, there is no Fashion Police in the U.K.:)

• 1 year later...

When I was in the RAF the SWO had a Great coat and when I asked if I could use mine , the answer I got was that any issue uniform used by the RAF so long as in good presentable condition could still be used so long as the correct insignia was used was not a problem but not on parades. I remeber times when the RAF went from battle dress to the jumpers and lighter trousers that this was not done over night but over a few years. I stil have my Brass Queens crown cap badge which was not issue but could be bought and used same as the SD caps.

My point is more long the lines as what uniform is used in the past can still be used in the right condition. I have seen the QCS in WW2 Battle dress and No 4 rifles doing there drill. with the other half using the current issue No1's

For me I have no problem with the use of uniform but like has been said dont understand tose ging themselves para wings who have'nt the right to wear them. bt if peopel are clear that its to respresent then was is the problem.

the important point here is that if military clothing is to be worn it should be done with respect I fully agree that correct attire enhances a vehicle on display

That is the MAIN reason MOST vehicle owners wear a uniform. To compliment the vehicle. I personaly, am an advocate of uniform. BUT, I along with quite a few others. NEVER wear any badges of Rank or Qualification badges that I have not earned. OR, am not entitled to.

This is a big no-no with Ex-Service personell & incidently a breach of the uniforms act, punishable if enforced! I can cite quite few incidents of Ex Paratroopers whacking people wearing para wings that they were not entitled to wear! The Para wing qualifiaction insignia is an EXTREMLY hard won Badge. And Serving & Ex Para's get VERY (Understated!) anoyed at people who do wear an unauthorised set of these wings. It may sound petty to some, but I served as an attached Arm with the Paras. & I can vouch for the tenacity to which they hold this qualification badge in high esteem! I can see the SENSIBLE application of badges & insignia in Re-Enactors & Living History at displays. IF, done in a tastefull & correct manner.

If the uninistiated actually saw what these guys (Para's) had to endure during P Company Basic training. Then they would understand.

You will never see me wearing anything I am not entitled to. Or have not earned!

Mike. (Just my two pennies worth!) :coffee:

Quite agree with the above statement i served 10 years with 7 Para RHA and it was the proudest day when i got my Beret and wings (and still is) and to see overweight middle aged guys wearing these when they are not entitled to them does make me angry, especially when you get talking to them and find out they were'nt in but are just wearing because they think it makes them look good , personally i just wear jeans and maybe my para smock with t-shirt when i go to a show with any of my vehicles.........rant over!

Before anyone goes out judging people wearing insignia on face value think that they may actually be entitled to wear them.. I personally & a few others on here know ex-paras who are reenactors (some ex-Falklands). Just because they are reenactors doesn't mean they they didn't earn their rank etc they are displaying. I think many would be surprised how many Ex-Service out there that have taken up reenacting.

The Army doesn't have a problem with Civys being badged up either.. when we took part in the Queens Pageant & paraded in front of the Queen, those that didn't have DPM's were given them to wear, Major Whatley (Household Cavalry) badged us up as Blues & Royals.

Same for the TA100 when we paraded in front of Charlie.. there again I did fall out with a RSM on Horse Guards when he tried to give me a rollicking for dripping oil all over his parade ground.. He exploded when he found out I was civy & he lost the plot when he asked why I was wearing uniform.. simple.. "the Major told me Too" he then stormed off & took it out on some other poor sod.. :D

I wear uniform only when I am either with Forces80 or my own display.

I wouldnt dream of wearing a para beret and wings, simply because I am not entitled to them, same for the commando green beret. I have them in my collection, but I wouldnt wear them at a show.

Mark

Because I like the feel of WAAF stockings against my skin....???

Yeah but the suspender belts don't half make your eyes water if the elastic goes! :wow:

On the funny side I was wearing battle dress trousers, boots and gaiters at a show. I was lying under a Quad dealing with an exhaust clamp. One woman came up and said 'That dummy under the truck looks very realastic'.

Edited by Tony B

I found with the MV's that the military issue clothing lasts a LOT longer than anything else - the Stalwart in particular is very prone to make holes in anything else (and the person wearing it if very unlucky....)

Normally I wander around in a RCT beret as I spent a few years with 151 Regt (VR) But in the kit bag is also the magic hat issued when I was badged in to 21 - I get the odd comment about wearing that the few times I do... Usual one is "how much did that cost you" to which the response is "my blood, my sweat and my tears...". Normally ends the conversation... :-D

With DPM being 'fashion 'it's damn dificult to tell a real soldier anyway. The RLC have just been told they can't wear stable belts, no one seems to know why, some plonk from Main I expect. I do know it has got the boys backs right up!

Tony, Any EX Soldier worth his Salt & having done 'Some Time' in the Mob. Would be able to spot an Ex Serving Member VERY quickly! There IS a Correct way to wear & 'Carry' yourself in Deportment when in uniform. I will not go into detail here as there may well be some 'Wannabes' who would act on this information. :D ANY Ex Squaddie who reads this WILL, Im SURE, concur with my comments?......:angel:

On the funny side I was wearing battle dress trousers, boots and gaiters at a show. I was lying under a Quad dealing with an exhaust clamp. One woman came up and said 'That dummy under the truck looks very realastic'.

She will never know how right she was:D

Tony, Any EX Soldier worth his Salt & having done 'Some Time' in the Mob. Would be able to spot an Ex Serving Member VERY quickly! There IS a Correct way to wear & 'Carry' yourself in Deportment when in uniform. I will not go into detail here as there may well be some 'Wannabes' who would act on this information. :D ANY Ex Squaddie who reads this WILL, Im SURE, concur with my comments?......:angel:

Spot on, you can always tell those that have been in the mob.

Spot on, you can always tell those that have been in the mob.

Sometimes it is possible to get confused though. I have never served in the mob, but have done some small time as a civilian working for both the RAF and FAA. Closest I got to a uniform was as an Air Cadet where I got to the rank of F/Sgt and for this I have been collared by the Royal British Legion as the local branch Standard Bearer.

It is a huge honour to carry the standard, and I often see veterans of all ages getting tearfull when they see the standard. People will often clap, cheer and say 'Well done' as I march past, and I feel like a fraud most of the time as I know I have not earnt it: It is what the standard represents that has more than earnt it.

As for the wearing of uniforms while displaying vehicles I am all for it. Badges of rank I am cautious of, unless you have a genuine right to wear them. Medals are a definate no, not just because it is considered wrong by the majority, or illegal in many cases, but because most forces personal when wearing medals would never be anywhere near a military vehicle. MV's are notoriously dirty, and medals = no1 dress. The two do not mix.

Most of my vehicles served when Battle Dress was still the norm, particulary in rear line services where my vehicles tended to be, so if I wanted to show uniform and badges of rank etc I would be forced to dress up a manequin (I am 6ft and 15 ½ stone). Badges of rank would probably be the lowest possible as that would probably make for the most genuine representation.

I would also like to add that The Royal British Legion do thier best to help the forces community, and this involves investigating and prosecuting people that wear medals they are not entitiled to.

civvies dont realise how comfy issued boots are after a bit of bedding and 95's are plus i work with people who have gone out and spend hundreds on posh gear from yeomans etc. and when we all get ditched i get the last laugh cos 95's dry out fast. the armys gear was selected for its practical qualities the colour was an afterthought plus try and get some boots that can out perform army issue for the same price its never going to happen.

Me & my brother own and show a Swiss Army Pinzgauer Ambulance & a Haflinger, we have spent the last 5 years collecting the Swiss uniforms of that period in time when the vehicles were in service ( 1970s) I think they complement our display and in no way do the general public think we are Swiss, I do agree with some of the comments about THe War & Peace Show that some people do get a bit carried away when wearing uniforms ( especially at night in the bars ) however I still believe in live & let live.:-)

The last time we went out in the snow in our Ferret shopping to ASDA just wearing mock combats (This was the time we had a flat tyre but that's another story).

One man asked us were we regulars or reserve!!!:cheesy: Jackie was wearing her blue worktop with ... on it and I had a pink jacket on!

I hate to think what would have happened if we'd been wearing our tank coveralls!

Most of the public have no idea that military vehicles can be owned by private individuals including two women - a pity to spoil that conception.

D & J