Why do you wear military uniforms?

robin craig

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if youve spent 1000's of pounds on getting your wagon looking and running good and you take it to a show then its only right that you wear the correct gear that goes with it, my pet hate is seeing fantastic looking wagons being crewed and driven round with people wearing jeans and t shirts on. doesnt matter if youve served or not we are all in this to show or display our kit to the public which includes yourself

if youve spent 1000's of pounds on getting your wagon looking and running good and you take it to a show then its only right that you wear the correct gear that goes with it, my pet hate is seeing fantastic looking wagons being crewed and driven round with people wearing jeans and t shirts on. doesnt matter if youve served or not we are all in this to show or display our kit to the public which includes yourself

Speak for yourself. I'm ''in this'' because I have an interest in the vehicles and the history. I certainly do not do it to display to the public.

Ditto. My main reason for owning my vehicle is for myself. Always loved tinkering with old machinery and wanted something a bit different and more interesting.

That said if people come over and show an interest I'm happy to show them round/talk about/take them for a spin etc but at no point do I wear a military uniform. I've not been in the army and make no secret of that, as a result I don't wear a uniform mainly because I don't think it would be right. I've not earnt it, unlike many people and I've no wish to decieve people or try and make them think I'm something I'm not. A pair of dark blue overalls are more than smart enough and offend no-one.

James

double ditto, not been in the army , so its normally desert boots jeans and t shirt , i do this for myself not to give display to public ,more than willing to chat to public if they can manage semi sensible questions! army clothes good though for cheap clothing . oh and whats with some people when they allmost demand to climb in the vehicle, without a please or a thanks.

Don't get me wrong, if the occasion requires it such as a parade like A&E or if it specifically requested, I'm happy to don suitable kit and I agree, it does look better than jeans and a t-shirt.

Having said that, I cannot look like a young soldier, no matter how I am dressed!:blush:

I have no problem with others wearing uniform as long as it is not to deceive. I do get a bit fed up of people justifying it by claiming they are only doing it to honour the veterans sacrifice..... Just admit you enjoy it, there is nothing wrong with that! The best way to honour the sacrifices made is to enjoy the freedoms they fought for.

I make a point of not wearing any uniform and have been known to wear a Hawaiian shirt and straw hat, I even painted the Scammell a non military colour. I don't really do military shows anyway just vintage rallys. I do shop at army and navy stores for my work clothes though. Warm, Comfy, and cheap:). I'll be in the comercial section thanks;)

I think that it is really up to the individual. But please no Walter Mitty's. I wear my kit as I enjoy doing that, it is also a great way to educate folks. I don't wear medals and feel that if you didn't earn them don't wear them. :-X

A good display is an accurate vehicle, well presented and if you are in uniform make sure that it is correct.....DON'T BE A FARB :mad:

That is my two bobs worth anyway!

Cheers

Troy

Speak for yourself. I'm ''in this'' because I have an interest in the vehicles and the history. I certainly do not do it to display to the public.

but dont you think that the public who pay good money to get into these shows to see the wagons would like to see every thing as it should be ,includeing period uniform, or is this crossing into the living history side of things?

when i go to shows either as joe public or when we display i like to see as it would of been used,ie if your driving around in a ww2 tank then wear the kit that goes with it, no ones going to think just because your wearing uniform that you must of served.dont think many people care do they?

however it is peoples own choice to wear what they want at these events, uniform just adds to the effect.

as for people just going to the events for there own benift, not saying this is any one one here but seen a few where you approach the wagon the ownwers are all sat around the wagon, drinking booze and have no interest in the public, which aint good.

ive served in the forces and to be fair i couldnt care less if some one who hasnt served wears the uniform, BUT please if you do wear it right:D

All good points and I agree with most of them.;) I think the living history side has taken over a bit, reading posts on reenacting forums there is a trend amongst some to label vehicle owners who don't dress up as ''MVT types'' and it is said with a definate air of contempt. If I did wear appropriate uniform and was castigated by one of the uniform fascists for having a post-war button (likely), I would find it hard not to point out that as an overweight middle aged man, he is in no position to criticise....

I think you're right about people not caring and to be honest most of the paying public at a show can't tell a Sherman from a Sherpa so wearing uniform for their benefit is wasted effort but the point about visitors getting their moneys worth is a good one. I suppose I tend to go to vehicle shows and not reenacting events so expectations are probably different.

Horses for courses!

ive found over the past few yrs that the public are changing from the lets go and take the kids around to look at the tanks to alot of people who seem to know a fair bit about what they want to see.you always get the rivet counters who try and pick faults but we just nod and move them on telling them we used it when i was in so its on our display. we had a guy who wore kf shirts still in 1996, god knows how many yrs after they were binned

ive found over the past few yrs that the public are changing from the lets go and take the kids around to look at the tanks to alot of people who seem to know a fair bit about what they want to see.you always get the rivet counters who try and pick faults but we just nod and move them on telling them we used it when i was in so its on our display. we had a guy who wore kf shirts still in 1996, god knows how many yrs after they were binned

I got my 1945 pixie suit from a friend who was 2 RTR and was issued it in the mid 60s!

Was not going to post a reply but now feel I need to. I have allways been a collector of military uniforms etc. of many periods. (Never been in the forces)

I have been a re-enactor of a few periods, mainly English Civil war, for more years than I care to admit, now sadly given the hobby up.

I do wear (where appropiate) 60-68 ptn. dress. The last two years the uniforms,kit has become a greater part of the display as the Airportable with command tent, scrim, nets tends to get hidden. I do not wear DPM's, lightweights, 58ptn. webbing just to dress up as it were, for a start some of the items are quite rare and expensive. We do spend nearly all the open hours of the event talking to the public and explaining about the kit, most are staggered to learn that my smock is a 40 plus years old pattern of uniform. No bones about it, it is hard work. Because of our intrest in the public and interaction, many times we are last off the field as it can take us two-three hours to pack up.

It a fantastic way our display is back firing, we are being asked to go back to events, offered more room. Or to attend events further afield, not enough weekends or petrol money! We are approached and asked to display at Regiment reunions and camp family days. This year kit (NI.)was photographed to be used in the healing process for ex servicemen, a very sobbering hour with a very intresting man, to my shame I could not attend a event He wanted us to go to.

My most important item, my Airportable Land Rover. On another off subject point, when I was intrested in buying a Landi. I was nearly put off totally on a military vechicle by the attitude of folks sat in chairs with beers. I'm so thankfull I was not, met so many fantastic folks, friends, public and most importantly ex. servicemen who have been very positive, supportive in the fact that 'their era' is not being forgotten. Times are changing, (It happened in E. Civil War) The public and ourselves want events that are intresting and enjoyable and worth the expense and effort of going to.

If you want to show the vehicle, show the vehicle. If you want to re-enact or do living history wear uniform. I can claim to do both. If I'm using the Dodge in the support role, I don't wear 'uniform'. If she is showing 'living history' I do. Though I have to say lightweights and a green shirt are standard dress for me anyway.

I think that it is really up to the individual. But please no Walter Mitty's. I wear my kit as I enjoy doing that, it is also a great way to educate folks. I don't wear medals and feel that if you didn't earn them don't wear them. :-X

A good display is an accurate vehicle, well presented and if you are in uniform make sure that it is correct.....DON'T BE A FARB :mad:

That is my two bobs worth anyway!

Cheers

Troy

DBG Fox & wrong kit ??? sorry just my thoughts :undecided:

I have no interest in wearing a uniform, a boiler suit or trousers and polo/t shirt do the job. I go to shows for my own benefit, the truck gets a run and I get to meet up with "like minded nutters" who I only tend to see at shows. I enter the Scammell in the military section because it is ex-military, but it spent most of its working life as a civvy wrecker so I am in no hurry to paint it green, I get more people telling be to keep it as it is than want to see it green anyway.

I see the shows as a social thing, if people want to visit a show to look at old vehicles it is a bonus. I have spent time talking to veterans who worked with Scammells but have also met people who remember my truck when it was working around Dingwall.

I found a thread started by someone who saw my truck parked at Tesco, no mention of it being the wrong colour. http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=78404&page=1#1037436

Thank you Richard.

And under about 30 coats of paint it was DBG, and if Iam in wrong kit....then perhaps you could illuminate me :red:

I have always asked for advice and looked at various photos, I have in no way set out to offend anyone at all. My kit is the 68 pattern..not 85...nor 96

Once again if I have upset anyone it was not intentional

I'm afraid a row of neatly lined up mv's are becoming a thing of the past.

At the end of the day a Jeep is a Jeep, the general public doesn't know or always care of the complexities of whether its a Ford or a Willy's or even a Hotchkiss.

At the end of a day most of the public looks at a Land Rover and say 'thats a nice Jeep'!!!

It's good to see some of the complex displays with the uniforms and the correct kit, in & outside of the vehicles.

If you want to just display a vehicle go for it, if you want to wear a uniform at least try & do it correctly.

I love German reenactors with tattoos & earings, always makes me smile :nut: