Why do you wear military uniforms?

robin craig

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear it because it's my work gear, the MoD make me.:cool2:

Also I have to say that if I was going to a Military show with military vehicle displays then I would want to see the crews to dressed in military uniforms, it adds to the authenicity of the event.

Edited by recymech66
Bad shpellung

[

Also I have to say that if I was going to a Military show with military vehicle displays then I would want to see the crews to dressed in military uniforms, it adds to the authenicity of the event.

This reply sums it ALL up!

It complements the vehicle & displays. Nothing would look worse than an authentically restored vehicle & the 'Driver' wearing a pair of pink cords & a red waterproof top!!!!

As well as the above mentioned comment. I PERSONALY feel very comfortable in uniform having worn it for over 18 years professionaly! :coffee:

I don't! Never have, never will. When commanding any of my vehicles, I will normaly wear civilian black overalls and a beret with a brass button on it. Looks OK(ish) for photos but I do not have the right to wear a uniform (Army cadets possibly) so I don't do it. I would certainly NOT try to stop anyone else from doing it though: freedom to make your own choises was what WW2 was about wasn't it?

More problematic is why do people wear badges of rank they are not entitled to and worst of all, medals? No reason that I can see: does not increase authenticity, it just smacks of the worst bits of 'dressing up' and ignores the sacrifices that were made by the people to whom the awards were made originally. No matter though: still would not try to stop others from doing it if they are OK about it.

John Pearson wrote

"why do people wear badges of rank they are not entitled to and worst of all, medals? No reason that I can see: does not increase authenticity"

I think that they are trying to compliment their exhibit by being a private, captain

or general in the scenario they have set as to medals being worn for valour and such like this is a big no no in general on the MVT scene unless of course they are potraying an actual individual or event in the actual historic sense I agree that to restore any vehicle then to portray it in jeans or kiss me quick hat is in my mind defeating the object of restoring the exhibit in the first place just my thoughts on the matter I am sure plenty will agree and that some will dissagree but there you are free speach and actions are still accepted in this country at the moment

Commander

With the annual Corowa gathering coming up I would like to give you my 2 bobs worth.

1 What is on display the driver or the vehicle?, as with the shows I go to the vehicles are the attraction and the owner restorer who inevetably over a beer will tell you his story.

2 To the general public a person in uniform represents that force and so should not do anything to bring disrespect (if thats the right word) to that force.

So for me a nice polo shirt with the museum emblem is what we wear when representing the Real Army at these functions.

For what it's worth - I don't . I have no entitlement and would not wish to show any kind of disrespect to those that did or those that do . What shows I go to invariably I wear the HMVF coveralls which are smart , promote the Forum and render me recognisable to fellow members .

Otherwise I wear generic green combat style trousers and plain light green or sand coloured tee shirt .

Another point of course , slightly diverging from the original question , is that I am now the wrong side of fifty and attempting to make myself look anything like a genuine serviceman would require plastic surgery and possibly a miracle . I also , for more years than I care to remember have sported a beard to a greater or lesser extent and have no intention of giving it up just yet !

Edited by snowtracdave

the important point here is that if military clothing is to be worn it should be done with respect I fully agree that correct attire enhances a vehicle on display although is not a necessity ,if I am riding my ww2 bikes on the road and not at a show it is jeans boots and a leather jacket at all times but it is true that as stated pink cords and a red waterproof do look somewhat out of place in a ww2 jeep just as I believe one piece dayglo leathers and a full face helmet look out of place on an immaculate BSA goldstar

Its up to the owner of the vehicle what they ware. I personaly don't appreciate looking at someone in uniform if there trying to portray a 19 year old whilst looking like a member of Grandads Army. Now as I'm not far from knocking on the door of 40 I'm even less inclined to try and look like I was twenty years ago. I don't mind waring a green t-shirt and some vaguely looking combat camoed trousers but thats where I draw a line.

Thats not me by the way.

But it certainly makes a nice picture.

This chap and his friend came over and asked me where my uniform was. I asked them where their truck was!! We all laughed. They asked if they could have their picture taken in my truck then happily went on their way.

How many people have asked me, why on earth i want a truck like mine? or what do you see in a truck like that? Generally I explain my interest and most people see the point.

Each to there own i guess.

PICT0050.jpg

Edited by rippo

the important point here is that if military clothing is to be worn it should be done with respect I fully agree that correct attire enhances a vehicle on display

That is the MAIN reason MOST vehicle owners wear a uniform. To compliment the vehicle. I personaly, am an advocate of uniform. BUT, I along with quite a few others. NEVER wear any badges of Rank or Qualification badges that I have not earned. OR, am not entitled to.

This is a big no-no with Ex-Service personell & incidently a breach of the uniforms act, punishable if enforced! I can cite quite few incidents of Ex Paratroopers whacking people wearing para wings that they were not entitled to wear! The Para wing qualifiaction insignia is an EXTREMLY hard won Badge. And Serving & Ex Para's get VERY (Understated!) anoyed at people who do wear an unauthorised set of these wings. It may sound petty to some, but I served as an attached Arm with the Paras. & I can vouch for the tenacity to which they hold this qualification badge in high esteem! I can see the SENSIBLE application of badges & insignia in Re-Enactors & Living History at displays. IF, done in a tastefull & correct manner.

If the uninistiated actually saw what these guys (Para's) had to endure during P Company Basic training. Then they would understand.

You will never see me wearing anything I am not entitled to. Or have not earned!

Mike. (Just my two pennies worth!) :coffee:

the above post is in my opinion spot on which is why when in Normandy this year I wore bd trousers and a dennison smock which was practical ,looked in keeping with the bike and precluded the need for any badges at all,the one thing I would change for future use is the dispatch riders helmet because after wearing it for several hours it gets very uncomfortable

Not a thread I would typically be interested in as, to wear or not wear, I have no real opinion (apart from the fact I have gone through mid life expansion and my service battledress jacket now fits me like a strippers halter top).

The point that popped up that interested me was the wearing of ranks, insignia and medals. I noticed the military code of practice was raised. I was under the impression it was illegal by civil law.

I realise it is not enforced but I suppose neither was the MV export permit requirements.

Just curious what civi law says about it and what date the law is from, if there is such a law.

I think if it compliments a vehicle or display then its great but there are alot of people who have a real EGO/ IMAGE thing with it!. not sure if they think they look cool or tough but they definately love it. Take for example war and peace show as with many other shows, once the public has left and the days re enactment has finnished they still end up in the beer tent dancing to the "village people" or "bee-gees" dressed right up and that has no relevence to living history or vehicle displaying but is just an image thing! martin

Edited by martinsaunders06