Safety

fesm_ndt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point of Order.. Moorfield actually....not Whitechapel

that's the trouble with this place, everyone an expert! :-D

Royal Arsenal - The government foundry for casting cannon was formerly in Moorfields, and was removed to Woolwich soon after a great explosion in 1716, occasioned by moisture in the moulds. Andrew Schalch, a young German founder, who had been allowed to look at the moulds, gave warning of this explosion, and induced Colonel Armstrong, surveyor-general of the ordnance, and others to leave the ground; the operations proceed withstanding. the explosion took place, much damage was done, and several lives were lost. The government had resolved to remove the royal foundry to a distance from London, and Schalch, having been examined as to his qualifications, was appointed to select a suitable place. He chose the warren at Woolwich, the new works were erected under his superintendence, and he was appointed Master-Founder to the Board of Ordnance, an office which he held during sixty years. He died in 1776, at the age of 90, and was buried in the churchyard at Woolwich.

Edited by Tony B

I've also got a brain twitch somewhere that one if not the first Public Enquiry into an industrial accident happned at Woolwich. In the crtridge filling shed young boys were employed. The dust from the black powderwould become embedded in the wood of the benches. Despite all the precautions taken even then one of the boy's tricks was to spark off the lines of powder in the wood.

On one occasion this was done but got out of hand and started to spread along the benches, evacuation wa supposed to be through to full size swinging doors at the end of the shed. The doors did not open fully and some were killed in the crush to clear the building. The enquiry showed that two gas lights had been attached to the building, one each side of the doors. This was following complaints about the lack of light when the men and boy's went to work on dark mornings. The result was instead of opening flat to the outside wall as they should have, the doors hung up on the fittings. There are sevearal accounts of Congreve rockets flyinmg out of the Arsenal into the town.

The most sobering thing I've ben told was that during both World Wars the local fire brigade were under writen instructions to ignore any fires in the town due to bombing raids and concentrate all their efforts on saving the Arsenal

I'm keeping quiet about burns right now... :cry:

However - H&S was something very forcibly indoctrinated into me when I did my apprenticeship back in the Seventies. For all the lectures and films though the one thing that really - and I do mean REALLY - rammed it home happened in the Stamping Plant. One of the roof dies on the Schuler line was showing signs of damage on the panels coming out. The die - final draw and flash gutter had been worked on before fitting and seemed to have a "high spot". One of the press toolmakers was tasked with clearing the spot off with a die grinder. What he should have done was cut power to the press line, locked out the power and hydraulic interface panels and put the corner jacks in. What he actually did was just cut power to the press and then climb in. Press hydraulics cycled - the investigation afterwards suggested it might have been vibration from the grinder that caused it - and pushed the ram over the top. The only thing left intact were his boots - neatly severed just above the ankle by the flash gutter. Virtually everything else was sprayed - literally - and the surrounding equipment and personnel. Me included as I'd been passing through the area enroute to the framing bucks. I do not know anyone who kept their last meal down at the time......

Richard and Tony B that is the Moorfields gun from 1716 or was it 1714 there is a discrepancy in the national archive about the date. killed 17 in all and wounded many more.

Thanks Alan, I recollect it now, used to be on display outside at the Rotunda against back fence. Another barrel there that sticks in my mind was one that had blown apart, due to the gunner using a lump of turf to wad it, think it happened on an island, St. Helena was it?

Last week I had to deliver some papers for the local government. To an area visited every week for the last 3 years.

The result was the dog didnt like government officals and bit me in leg:argh:

It was only a fox terrier that i had seen a few times before. lucky it was not a child playing in the street.

Why? Do the children of that area playing in the street bite even harder then?

Just to add my old sqn medic had two fingers missing from his right hand when a browing 9mm blew up on him. So he practise shooting with hid left hand til the same happen again resulting in him loosing one and a half fingers. He also did suba diving and fell off the boat as was hit by the prop resulting in a steel plate in his head :shake: and he was the medic !!

Also on ex in germany with fox we had one that decided it didnt like its oil and dumped the lot in a car park in the black forest. Not good. Reme can out to sort the fox out as reme fited lifted back deck up he didnt secure the hinged deck and it fell down on his hand cutting all his fingers off not a nice sight. Leson lernt always sceure decks when opening them and if possable have someone hold them as well.

This happened in Aussie a few years back. A fitter with a works van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene cylinder on the back seat of a Toyota dual cab over the weekend. The Acetylene cylinder must not have fully closed and a small leak occurred.

Over the weekend the Acetylene had accumulated in the van. On the Monday morning the fitter approached the van and opened the door, a large explosion took place. We believe the ignition could have been caused by either the internal light, the automatic door control or by a mobile phone which was on the front seat of the van. The fellow was also a smoker. He has damage to his ear drums and facial damage. As you can see by the attached photos he was very lucky

This happened in Aussie a few years back. A fitter with a works van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene cylinder on the back seat of a Toyota dual cab over the weekend. The Acetylene cylinder must not have fully closed and a small leak occurred.

Over the weekend the Acetylene had accumulated in the van. On the Monday morning the fitter approached the van and opened the door, a large explosion took place. We believe the ignition could have been caused by either the internal light, the automatic door control or by a mobile phone which was on the front seat of the van. The fellow was also a smoker. He has damage to his ear drums and facial damage. As you can see by the attached photos he was very lucky

Wow, thats scary...

When I first left school and worked in the print, I met loads of the 'old timers' who had bits missing!! :cool2:

Me too, when I started at 16 doing printer training with the Observer, I was warned about 'three finger operators'. I never met any myself, but the guy I was being trained by - who was miserable - did his best to keep me intact. I wasn't destined for a printing career and graduated via a sacking to the old Mirror Group where I was left in charge of nothing more dangerous than a number stamping machine and a biro.

M

Yeah, the dog might catch something!

Dog got quarantined for 8 days after....... Ithought it caught something from me:-D, but the vet assured me it was for a rabies control:shake:

I love Dogs, they taste delicious...

I will have to invite you to eat here sometime as my wife is from Philippines, we dont have a dog problem in our village:rofl:

Christian

• 7 months later...

Please all remember the HSE in the UK have the same powers to prosecute as the police.

We all need to be acutely aware of what we do even in a DIY way. Under a duty of care if anything we do can be visible or be accessed by others we need a risk assessment.

If it is a workshop that commercailly you own as an individual then tough luck you! as its a business use and HSE applies.

If it is a family garage or workshop accessed off your property by others then think about the third party risks. Times are changing and getting worst and a hobby could soon become manslaughter!!!!!!!!!??????????

A mans land is not always his castle, especially under the HSE. don't take safety for granted even if it's not yours

Edited by Rover8FFR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

As safety is a hot topic again, I thought you would like these, I was forwarded today:

"GPS was placed in its bracket in the windshield and left in the sun. The battery overheated and exploded!" Ok not going to happen in the UK, but we must remember this is an international forum :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64559[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64560[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64562[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64563[/ATTACH]