Leyland DAF Drops and fv432

barrynevuk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened, chain snapped or just too fast? I imagine a MBT would have an even higher C of G with turret + gun, but I don't remember that many roll over incidents with Commander, fires due to blow outs were more of a problem though.

There has been lots of discussions on various sites regarding the problems with the Oshkosh (Kings) trailers, apparently all the rollovers have occured at low speeds and if I remember correctly theres been a problem with the trailer hydraulics causing them to lean/fail quite badly, obviously with 60/70 tons on board this has disastrous results.

As for recovery, the Army has the equipment and expertise but I would think it's due to the fact that all recovery is carried out by civilian recovery contractors, a very sore point with Army recovery mechanics:mad:

Really, how does that work? What if a HET driver wrote off a Challenger + the HET? 10% of £5.5 mil would put a bit of a dent in his bank balance. There must be far worse scenarios....

I know it sounds far fetched, but when I was in the Army my units had a policy that if you were charged for causing an accident that resulted in damage to vehicle or load the CO had the discretion of deducting 10% of the damage value out of your pay. Whether this has changed I can't say. I never knew of anyone having this done to them, and I was lucky not to have had an accident in the 8 years I was in. However the option was definitely there for this to happen. I think it was meant as an incentive to drive sensibly.

Clive,

I don't know the outcome but had heard on the grapevine that there was a problem with the hydraulics on the trailer ie, wagon goes around a corner, weight transfer causes hydraulics to fail on that side resulting in the weight of the load dragging the trailer and unit over.

The design of the trailer is such that the ride height on the bed can be lowered or raised a considerable amount to compensate for travelling cross country, obviously the higher the center of gravity the more unstable the load will be, all obvious stuff. But I was told the travelling speed at the time was quite low, definately true with the accident in Germany as it was witnessed by the Polizie, apparentley.

Hi Recymech66.

I have heard the same thing. that there is a problem with the trailers and its not just a couple of isolated

cases. i heard that they are having material failures too.

Can't put this down to driver error.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Hi Recymech66.

I have heard the same thing. that there is a problem with the trailers and its not just a couple of isolated

Clive

protruckservices.com

My resident spies in Market Harborough are telling me the same story.:-X

Hi Recymech66.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Yes doesn't surprise me that they are having material failures also, the Seddon Atkinson LET trailers had a problem with the swan necks cracking so new trailers had to be procured fairly rapidly.

Yes doesn't surprise me that they are having material failures also, the Seddon Atkinson LET trailers had a problem with the swan necks cracking so new trailers had to be procured fairly rapidly.

Quite co incidental really, I went to David Crouch's new yard with him the other day to have a look at all his Leyland DAF Drops trucks, to get to it you have to drive past KING Trailers manufacturing site, there were about 5 of the British Army Tank Transporter trailers back in their yard at the time.

Hi bit exited just picked up a leyland drops today . This is going to be converted into a recovery vehicle for use in our family business. Havent seen it in daylight yet but looks to be in in excellent condition. will post some pictures as soon as i get chance. When finished it will take place of Foden FH70 which we have recently sold

Hello,

Our DROPs (the one we've picked up:-D has armour inside the cab. This certainly is "after market".

It also has something we've not seen yet: on the roof there is a kind of a rack with A LOT of coax cabling coming down to racks in the side bin.

Does anyone know what this was for / has infio about this?

Piet

PC050592.jpg

PC050593.jpg

PC050590.jpg

Hi bit exited just picked up a leyland drops today . This is going to be converted into a recovery vehicle for use in our family business. Havent seen it in daylight yet but looks to be in in excellent condition. will post some pictures as soon as i get chance. When finished it will take place of Foden FH70 which we have recently sold

Ah, that must be off Mr Crouch ?

Yep for sure

Looks to be in really good condition got a quick look over today in daylight. Very clean has front hub problem but have new axle to go on. might be having a spin very shortly. will be taking drops gear of if anyone has use for it.