Leyland DAF Drops and fv432

barrynevuk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just interested to know how the foden pulled 13 tons with a 220 engine...seems too small to me...but he says its fine...

Those Fodens were rated in the Army as 16 tonne load carriers, and I remember a RAOC unit who used one for collecting vehicles and towed one of the 20 tonne recovery trailers as well.

I was just interested to know how the foden pulled 13 tons with a 220 engine...seems too small to me...but he says its fine...

Let’s face it; it’s not the BHP that drives us along it the torque the engine is producing, more importantly the torque curve of the engine.

The 220 eagle has a nice smooth curve, compared with some of the turbocharged units, it won’t light any fires and you may be down a couple of cogs up hill. But it’s ok for a relaxing drive to a show.

Not much use if you want to sit on the speed limiter all the way.

Yes its the torque..that provides the power.

In my last job i used to drive a 1965 Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 shunting Loco with an 8 cylinder Gardner that only produced 220bhp but with over 1 ton of torque that could pull 1000 tons!!

Ivor the engine driver!!.jpg

Yes its the torque..that provides the power.

In my last job i used to drive a 1965 Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 shunting Loco with an 8 cylinder Gardner that only produced 220bhp but with over 1 ton of torque that could pull 1000 tons!!

There is a well known name, they built the airframes for Blue Danube, Red Beard and Violet Club instant sunshine devices.

Interesting measure of torque...

I cant remember exactly!! But it was a lot of torque! The most we used to pull was 12 railcars all up weight of 540 tons..it would do this comfortably but with only the loco brakes stopping it could become hairy if you built up a bit of speed!!

Unfortunately the depot closed 2 years ago but i managed to get both our locos into preservation. So for 10 years i was like a big kid playing with a full size train set..happy days!!

Apologies for going off topic!

3526_cranmore4_099.jpg

• 1 year later...
This is an interesting one. from my old scammell photo's.

http://www.protruckservices.com/Scammell Drops/scan00016.jpg

Clive

protruckservices.com

That is the Scammell IMMLC (improved medium mobility load carrier) trials truck that was in competition with the Foden that was eventually chosen to go into service (the 8x6). The location is Crocker Barracks Sennelager Germany and the date about 1982.

Engine was an Eagle 350 and it was coupled to an Allison auto box. The LHS is a Multilift Mk4

Foden and Scammell both produced MMLC and IMMLC contenders for the contract - eventually one of each was chosen (although there are/were lots more MMLC than IMMLC)

.... Unfortunately the depot closed 2 years ago but i managed to get both our locos into preservation. So for 10 years i was like a big kid playing with a full size train set..happy days!!

Apologies for going off topic!

I'm glad you did - I was shunting with that very Hudswell only this week, a fine locomotive! The burble of the eight-cylinder Gardner is one of the world's finest sounds.

The Sentinel is a nic loco to operate, but the Hudswell is more fun.