Beltring, who's going?

About 4/5 years ago I came to the realisation that my year had ceased to run Jan-Dec and had begun to begin/end at some point mid-July.

I know a lot of people have issues with Belters, but I just love it.

Never actually do anything at it except camp, drink, buy stuff, natter to fellow eejits and take too many photos (in roughly that order).

It's my annual holiday and I wouldn't swap it for a month in the Bahamas, all-in, for the price of a beer in Kitcheners.

SWMBO has been last few years, and I think she's actually annoyed about not being able to make it this summer... Although she won't admit as much.

She got a ATS working dress last year and strutted around like she owned the place...

Ahh well. I make it 27 more sleeps till I get on the Sleazyjet...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two and a half weeks to go :-D I can't sleep so excited :nut: I think I will end up :naughty: and :argh:

I'm starting to border on the edge of incipient panic!!! Still can't find a home for the Stalwart locally where I KNOW she'll fit!! One more prospective avenue closed tonight - got two more to go, then if they both bomb out and if she won't go through the gates at CoalHouse I'm up the proverbial creek sans propulsive devices :-o :-o :-o

Definitely looking forwards to the show though!! :-) :-) :-) And to mkes things better/worse - depending on your view point given the home situation (I say better...) - I've been asked to take her into exhibit at an employee event at work on the Thursday the show starts which means I'll be there late Thursday afternoon - event finishes at Dunton @ 13:00 so I should be able to make it to the show, all being well, by 16:00.

Think I might have a fall back-plan - at long, long, last :-) :-)

Was looking on the CASSOA web site last night (for something entirely unrelated) and found a place in Barking that stores caravans AND vehicles. So I e-mailed them and they can take it if necessary at £1.25 per day. Just waiting for an answer to a query on access times/arrangements and whether I can work on her whislt in the cmpound.

The place is called PACU - http://www.pacu.co.uk/ - based down in River Road.

And even beter - the logbook arrived today - whcich is a bit of a relief given that the DVLA managed to "lose" the ones for the last two vehicles that got switched to me.

So - another thought strikes - painfully.....

Am I right in thinking (hoping & praying more like....) that the route to Beltring will be well sign-posted by either the AA, RAC or the organisers as you get close to Beltring - say from the A225, A21 or similar???

I'm going to be driving alone in the Stalwart as I'll be coming straight from the work event and it's be nice if I didnt have to panic over navigation as well as fitting down narrow roads (we won't mention getting over the Dartford crossing.....)!!

Am I right in thinking (hoping & praying more like....) that the route to Beltring will be well sign-posted

I'm going to be driving alone in the Stalwart ..................... (we won't mention getting over the Dartford crossing.....)!!

Neil,

Coming from the M20, just follow the truck signs for Paddock Wood, you will go straight past it. It is a road well used by foreign trucks bringing in produce for cold stores.

Wait till you get to the Toll Booths on the crossing, you will have to climb over the cab to pay them :-D

Richard

Am I right in thinking (hoping & praying more like....) that the route to Beltring will be well sign-posted

I'm going to be driving alone in the Stalwart ..................... (we won't mention getting over the Dartford crossing.....)!!

Neil,

Coming from the M20, just follow the truck signs for Paddock Wood, you will go straight past it. It is a road well used by foreign trucks bringing in produce for cold stores.

Wait till you get to the Toll Booths on the crossing, you will have to climb over the cab to pay them :-D

Richard

Aaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!! I said don't mention the Dartford crossing!!!! :argh: :argh:

Original plan was to go Wednesday night so the wife mk 1 could accompany (read lead the way) inc. paying the tolls as/if required!! Works invite just shot that one down....

Anyways - there's a couple of PDF files - one's the map overview and the others the turn by turn directions. Generated by AutoRoute with the bias aimed at "A" roads and avoiding motorways and limited access roads so as to minimise the wind up on the Stalwarts transmission. Comments any one????

http://rangerneil.com/pdf_files/Ford_Dunton_Plant%20to_War_and_Peace_Show_2006-Directions.pdf http://rangerneil.com/pdf_files/Ford_Dunton_Plant_to_War_and_Peace_Show-2006_Map.pdf

we are now taking the bike instead of the jimmy but will still be there first thing saturday morning,

we have got 3 loos booked from a great company we have used for the last 4 years, not 4 jays, and so far in our area we have got

1 x bike

1 x half track

4 x jeeps

1 x reo

1 x tm

1 x rl

2 x jimmys

1 x dodge

8 x 12 by 12's

2 x 7 by 9 apex tents

1 x dining shelter

1 x cam net sun cover

look out for the gloucestershire & severnside area banners, we will be in the Americas field,through the entrance ,down 1 row & on the left.

see you there

Berni

its a national company called davlav and are based in grays essex

the number is 01375 398398

we have ours delivered around 7am on monday morning, they service them wed/thu & pick them up the following monday.

always been good to us & if you explain that they are already bringing some down they may reduce the delivery cost.

they usually have the toilet a urinal & a sink.

you need to provide your own padlocks though.

ta

berni

Mark,

Thanks for that... Lee has offered to rope us off an area in the Americas field, so we will be on one of the main drags in there if that works out.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

just got back from Beltring, the W&P lowloader just picked up the Saladin, Ferret & MOBAT. the first vehicles on site for this years show :-) as John has no brakes on the Saladin at the moment we had to go down to unload it..

Can you email me that vehicle/tentage list again..

Been a busy little bee this week making preparations for the trip to the show - bear in mind I'm starting this from cold - so cold that the temp guage would read 0!!

Thus far I've managed to create four A1 information panels and get them laminated at work (comes in handy being the only one who knows how to maintain a certain type of printer) as well as a HMVF ID card - also laminated - for the windscreen. Just need to make up some frames for the info. panels and then the section q part about driving over 3.5 tons as a mobile project vehicle is complied with.

Also managed to get an appropriate tent from ebay -see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Army-Woodland-DPM-2-Man-Combat-Basha-Bivi-Tent_W0QQitemZ190001594219QQihZ009QQcategoryZ36118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for an example. Spent yesterday trying to work out how to set it up properly - hope I've got it right, we'll find out at the show :lol: :lol:

Log sheets for the vehicle, along the lines of the old army ones are printed off ready for use. All I need to do now is get a copy of the first parade and halt parade services printed off and laminated and we're ready to roll on that score. The 15th draw ever closer; can't wait to get her on the road home then she'll finally feel like mine!!!

Shopping list for Beltring now includes:

10 ton Jack

Spare spark plugs (NOT Platinum ones apparently..)

Spare bulbs - Head, Side, Tail, Indicator

Spare drive belts

Container to act as spares/tool box (old rapier missile box or similar)

Tools (shovel/Pickaxe etc.)

Any relevant EMER's

This may change once she's home and I've investigated what other spares come with her!! :-) :-)

Neil, don't plan on buying bulbs at Beltring.

For some reason, autojumblers think that 24v bulbs are extremely rare and valuable. Only last weekend at Bromyard Gala, someone was selling 24v 21w bulbs for £1 each.

I queried the price, thinking it must be £1 per box of ten. He wasn't very happy when I told him I had recently bought a box of ten 24v 5w bulbs from my local truck spares dealer for £1.40+VAT.

Neil, don't plan on buying bulbs at Beltring.

For some reason, autojumblers think that 24v bulbs are extremely rare and valuable. Only last weekend at Bromyard Gala, someone was selling 24v 21w bulbs for £1 each.

I queried the price, thinking it must be £1 per box of ten. He wasn't very happy when I told him I had recently bought a box of ten 24v 5w bulbs from my local truck spares dealer for £1.40+VAT.

:-o :-o :-o

Thanks for the warning!!! I'll visit the local commercial spares place then. That just leaves drive/fan belts and a jack!!!

Try Machine Mart for the jack, we've had a 12 ton bottle jack from there for years, it wasn't expensive.

Chris

I got one of those, it went up & came straight back down again & that was only jacking up the Fox, got my money back..