You know when you are getting old...

Jack

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was proper money! :n00b: Twelve pennies to a shilling. 20 shillings or 240 pennies to a pound. Half Crowns sixpence, thrupenny bits. Ten bob notes. To explain simply, 6 old pennies would be the equivalent of two and a half new pennies. I dunno education nowadays these young whippersnappers don't know nuffin!

Tony - we are talking about getting old - not flipping ancient!!!!!

when you used to look up at an airliner and it had propellors on it....

Funnily enough on Saturday I was watching Sunderland snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (as usual) and became aware of a (propeller-driven) airliner that had probably just hopped from the Channel Islands. It was flying long, slow, regular circles about our house (at some distance I have to point out) except that on one circuit he passed close in front of, instead of behind, our house. Wor Lass and I had differing opinions as to whether the nose wheel was locked down or not. Didn't hear reports of an emergency at Southampton Airport.

I KNOW I am old because I was in the Medical Centre the day the Dead Sea turned up on Sick Parade.

I still do a lot of money in LSD. Ten bob etc. Can't help it.

Chocolate bars are definitely smaller...as for Waggon Wheels.

I used to get sent down to Woolworths, which for you youngsters, was a popular 20th Century store; to buy biscuits by the bag. They charged less for broken biscuits - the Malted Milks were top class. But my mother insisted only "common people" bought broken biscuits, not the done thing for bus conductresses.

When I used to leave the house during any date between 1972 and 1982 in the company of my mate Mike he would always say "Head, Brain, Money,Keys" because he knew what I was like. Now James does it! So maybe I was already senile at that age.

I am not yet on the Saga mailing list. But I get lots of invites for cheaper house insurance since I hit the old Hawaii 5-0.

MB

He missed off the Farthing. IIRC only ceased to be legal tender in 1961, when I was at primary school.

Damn - you beat me to it!! :)

No ones mentioned (apart from Tony B indirectly with his train spotting) having steam engines on the railways and not being impressed with these new-fangled "diesel -electric" units. Or watching the overhead catenarys being installed.....

And if you stop at the Sixties Jack you're nowt but a young whipper-snapper - I have to go back to the mid-Fifties!! :rofl: :rofl:

No ones mentioned (apart from Tony B indirectly with his train spotting) having steam engines on the railways and not being impressed with these new-fangled "diesel -electric" units. Or watching the overhead catenarys being installed.....

And if you stop at the Sixties Jack you're nowt but a young whipper-snapper - I have to go back to the mid-Fifties!! :rofl: :rofl:

You can't blame ME for the train spotting! :argh: In my childhood we didn't have them new fangled things in Jersey!! We had Viscounts and Vanguards and Dart hearald's and HS147's and Argosys and Bristol Frigthers (in you've flown in one you'll know) a couple of Pionairs and some Dackotas. Herons a Dragon Rapide. All paddelers you notice.

Oi that was my post!

When you are in a WWII display and are typing a letter on a typewriter and kids actually see one for the first time and are amazed! This happened to me last weekend, actually it was so remarkable that it was even in the newspaper in the article on the fieldcamp.

When you are in a WWII display and are typing a letter on a typewriter and kids actually see one for the first time and are amazed! This happened to me last weekend, actually it was so remarkable that it was even in the newspaper in the article on the fieldcamp.

The single most impressive peice of equipment in the arsenal as far as kids are concerned!