You know when you are getting old...

Jack

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting it....I used to deliver it!:-(

And now they freack out about full fat milk! Remember the old 'Go to work on an egg'? And yes we've heard all the old 'Isn't it a bit messy ? jokes. There the same age. Watch out Watch out ! Theres a Humphrey about!

Actually Degsey, with all this ho ha about farm animals and dangerous disieases its a wonder we've survived.

I remeber the village bobby And we only had 30 house's One shop and one pub in my village, Mobile fish and chip shops made out of old ford or bedford luton vans. Which served fish and chips in newspaper. And you could get batter bits on your chips for free.

Actually Degsey, with all this ho ha about farm animals and dangerous disieases its a wonder we've survived.

My personal take on this is that people are so obsessed with cleanliness these days that children are never allowed to build up an immunity to all the germs that are about. My son was exposed to all the germs and dirt on a farm as a baby likewise my granddaughter and neither of them have ever suffered any ill effects.

Which normaly had been left in the sun :shake:

thats a bad memory, nearly always made me sick!!! :shake:

Heres one for all you bus drivers, "your sitting in the canteen when a new driver comes up to you and says, remember me, you used to take me to school!!!"

Mark

.....when you remember rubbish in piles in the streets because the bin men were on strike.

.....when you had candles and matches in every room for when the power cuts hit.

.....when you had to get out of your chair to change the channel and volume on the TV.

.....when you could just burn rubbish in your garden.

.....when the school summer holidays lasted forever and were hot and sunny.

.....when the three fastest ways to send a message was Telegram, Telephone and Tell a Woman :-D

My personal take on this is that people are so obsessed with cleanliness these days that children are never allowed to build up an immunity to all the germs that are about. My son was exposed to all the germs and dirt on a farm as a baby likewise my granddaughter and neither of them have ever suffered any ill effects.

I'll agree with all that

When you can remember the village Bobby chasing you on his double crossbar bike because you only had a back light on yours, (he didn't have much else to do!) pitch black not even a house light for miles.

The trick was to belt up into your neighbours farm lane, turn your back light off then shoot back out and home free! Very satisfying watching his lights go wobbling off the wrong way...

Today's equivalent was played out in my mates garden, some kids ran and hid quite well in his bushes, so far so good, but gave themselves away when they felt the inevitable need to text! All their phones lit up and compromised their positions a treat.

Seeing all the radios and electronic kit you worked on when you were in (which used valves!), now in museums! Rembering being told that this was the cutting edge.

Filling you car up with petrol, handing over a fiver and getting change and green stamps!

Driving with no seat belts.

Riding a motor bike without a helmet.

Putting pennies into a red telephone box.

Coal fires being the norm.

You remeber;

Only unflavored crisps, in gressed paper bags, from a screw top glass jar, and each with a little screwed up bag of salt.

Driving a car with a starting handle.

All TV's being black and white, and only two channels.

The light service, the third programme, radio luxemberg.

Steam trains.

No fast food.

Transport cafes, real ones with big butties, and lots of fry ups.

Polio.

Smallpox.

Life without computers.

Teleprinters.

AFS, civil defence.

National service.

Being given barley suger sweets on take off, on a propped aircraft.

The goon show.

The navy lark.

Damn - you beat me to it!! :)

No ones mentioned (apart from Tony B indirectly with his train spotting) having steam engines on the railways and not being impressed with these new-fangled "diesel -electric" units. Or watching the overhead catenarys being installed.....

And if you stop at the Sixties Jack you're nowt but a young whipper-snapper - I have to go back to the mid-Fifties!! :rofl: :rofl:

I have never been impressed by diesels or electrics but find it very difficult not to take a trip on any steam railway I see (preferable full-gauge). GWILI Railway near Camarthen now has its own Facebook group - what a great blend of 19th and 21st Century technologies is that?

I'l lmake sure SAGA get your contact deatils! :cool2: Hey Alien! your paddle plane, was Pontius the pilot? There is an ex Jersey Airways Heron over there that binmbles back and for.

I assumed without looking too hard that it was a Trislander. Ever since I moved in, Air Aurigny Trislanders (as was - dunno if they are still going) used to pass overhead while I was enjoying the back garden.

... when you can remember getting free school milk.

School milk scarred me for a decade or more. The little 1/3 pint bottles got left outside the school entrance by the milkman (anyone remember milkmen?) and left there until break, by which time it was either off (even in the dim sunlight of what was then Co Durham summers) or separated (who remembers full cream milk?) and the lid lifted off by the cold (of Co Durham winters) or pecked at by the birds.

Could not stand milk.

Joined the army, rediscovered milk as a foodstuff and through Basic and Trade Training at Catterick found myself drinking seven pints of full cream per day. That and all the exercise turned me from a beanpole into a lean mean fighting machine.

Filling you car up with petrol, handing over a fiver and getting change and green stamps!

I remember my Mother winning 3 £1 vouchers for Petrol in 1968 and being given one of the £1 vouchers. It paid for 3 gallons of petrol!!!

I assumed without looking too hard that it was a Trislander. Ever since I moved in, Air Aurigny Trislanders (as was - dunno if they are still going) used to pass overhead while I was enjoying the back garden.

Oh gawd! I remember when they got their FIORST proper Brtten-Norman Trilander! We all qued up outside the hangar to watch it land:shake:

You look through the Pathe News site, OH old films about Jersey! In the middle of which is a little short trousered little oik driving a kidde's go kart at Bellevue. Eric who owned the place bribed me with half an hours free go.

Half a crown for Birthdays, Ten bob note at Christmas. The first Action Man, 3 speed sturmey Archer bike gears, AND, with telly in background, Knight Rider first time round!! Anyone remeber SUPERCAR!!

Small television sceens 6 or 9 inch?

120 degree cathode tubes, 405 line VHF, the little Rediffusion box on the wall. 5 amp and 2 amp plugs, with round pins. Esso Blue parrafin heaters.

2 star petrol. Esso putting a Tiger in your tank, the new fangled 20/50 mutil season motor oil.Being shoved in the cockpit of various aircraft when flying as 'Unaccompanied Minor'.