You know when you are getting old...

Jack

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you remember ""Awarding yourself a C.D.M."

Cadbury's Dairy Milk to those younger than a certain age. The

The other advert that comes to mind (well it is me!) is the Playtex Living Bra.

It was the first advert broadcast on the opening day of Channel Televison, followed by Lorne Green, as Robin Hood!

You remember television being interupted to tell you JFK had been assasinated....

I was watching Emergency Ward 10 with me mum. Being only 8, I struggled to understand this earlier precursor to Casualty, as by that age I knew there had been two world wars, so why was this programme about War 10? And why was it about a hospital and not Japs and English bayoneting one another?

I was watching Emergency Ward 10 with me mum. Being only 8, I struggled to understand this earlier precursor to Casualty, as by that age I knew there had been two world wars, so why was this programme about War 10? And why was it about a hospital and not Japs and English bayoneting one another?

Coronation Street, still. Peyton Place, Combat, Garrison's Gorillas (AND that is the spelling) Hogan's Heroes F Troop Car 54 Get Smart. And top of the pile Wrestling on a Saturday afternoon. Mister Ed , the Buccaners, Roger Moore as Ivanhoe! Z Cars. They don't make 'em like they used to (Thankfully)

.. when you remember the "pig swill man" coming to your school to collect the leftovers from school dinner....

Remember those coming around the streets to the houses - and you had the "pig bin" sat beside the (metal) dustbin. All the left overs from preparing the meals like spud peelings carrot tops, outer cabbage leaves etc. went in to it and it hummed in summer!:-) And ALL meals were done by mum - none of this pre-packed malarky. Food came in either glass bottles, tins, paper bags or wrapped in paper - no plastic.

2,3 and 4 star petrol!

You forgot the 5 star stuff much loved by Rovers, Jaguars etc.

You forgot the 5 star stuff much loved by Rovers, Jaguars etc.

The 5-star that went into the civilian Jaguar engine that the Army turned into the J60 that ran on CombatGas (somewhat less than 2-star) and they wondered why CVR(T) plugs and points didn't last five minutes.

In 1977 15/19H POL point got a delivery of 5-star instead of CombatGas by mistake, when the garrison found out every vehicle in the garrison refuelled from it and there wasn't a breakdown until the 5-star had been diluted back to CombatGas. How telling is that?

Pity the civvies of Burbage whose petrol station got CombatGas for 5-star on the flip side of the error. (The tanker driver knew what was happening but it was more than his job was worth to argue with his work ticket.)

So many things i remember.

Like getting 5p back on the empty bottles of lemoade etc

Keep 50p in the car to buy a gallon of petrol incase i ran out

Getting a chopper for xmas :-D

Michel bentenise (?sp) potty time with the sand table wars.

The goodies on tv

trumpton and cambalwick green

White dog poo..........

And at the picture house the main film always had a cartoon before it

And the pear and dean music..........................yes you know the one and are probley humming it now.:-D

You know when you are getting old... when you see stuff in a museum with which Jack actually worked...

In the summer of 1978 I did the last Larkspur-oriented RAC Control Signaller AFV Class 1 course at Bovington before they changed the course to Clansman. One spare afternoon we all swanned off down to the museum and there we found a C42 - which we were then currently being trained on.

....When you were a member of the "Supercar" club....

Who remembers Gerry Anderson's "Super Car" with Mike Mercury, Professor Popkiss, and Dr Beaker , Orphaned Jimmy Gibson and Mitch the monkey, doing battle With "Masterspy" and "Zarin"

I even got given the nickname "Mitch" by my Cousin, not that I liked it!..

You know you are old when you had the Supercar Pilots Licence and wings....

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/GA/supercar-licence.html

I have lost mine ages ago!!!

Edited by antarmike