Deep Sea FWD

DeepSeaDrifter

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the depth issue, they wouldnt be too hard to raise. Problem is there is no point as they are not rare enough and it would be too expensive to preserve them to make it worthwhile. Better just to survey them well and record them in situ. (But if someone could get the data plates off for me then that would be great).

Tim

Next is another "challenging" vehicle. It was described by the pilot as being a panel truck. Obviously it is on its side (the first we've seen like that) and quite dilapidated. To me, the tires and caps look quite similar to the Plymouth's, and in fact they are pretty much on the same location. I think about 30m apart, which one could guess means they were dumped at the same time and may also be from that 30's-50s era. You may find a clue in the window shape or perhaps the under carriage will devulge something unique that I can't see. Good luck.

These 4 vehicles (yes, one more coming) are in the 550m depth range. All were found on the same day. These last 2 and the next one (plus the Piper) by one sub and the touring car by the other. Probably within a half mile to a mile range. These last two are really the only ones very close to each other. The next one appears to be from the same era as the Touring car, but in very poor condition. Also lots of post-war ordnance in the area. Mostly bombs and a few torpedoes and hedgehogs. The rest of the vehicles we've found range from about 360m to 450m and come basically from two other areas, the Defensive Sea Area south of Pearl which is about 4 square miles which has revealed vehicles from both war eras, and a much smaller area to the east and inshore abit which we have basically done downslope runs through and has given us some really unique WWI artifacts (Holt cats, dump truck, Liberties, FWD's). Recoveries could be done but would require a submersible or a working class ROV, both would require a ship, which is the expensive part. I think our day rate is about 35k US$ per day (2 subs) and we're the rock bottom bargain basement deal out there (of the deep subs 1000m or more). There may be some one man subs that are less, but you still need a ship, so not significantly cheaper. About 70% of these vehicles are within 3 miles of shore so you would have to deal with the State too on those. Like with airplanes, I imagine the recovery portion would be the inexpensive part. Reversing the corrosion process and restoration might cost way more. Survey may actually be really be the best way to preserve them (cost-wise).

aloha,

Steve

Panel Truck window.jpg

Panel Truck end.jpg

Panel rear bottom.jpg

Panel wheel and window.jpg

We do 3 "test and trial" dives at the start of each season in which we can dive pretty much where we want within a reasonable distance of Oahu. We start shallow and work our way to 2000m conducting exercises along the way. This is when we find most of our historical artifacts. However recently we have done some ordnance surveys and routing surveys (for power cables) that are also in the artifact rich areas south of Oahu. Our funding agency is NOAA and we're affiliated (employed by) with the Univ. of Hawaii. The rest of the time we're doing science dives around the islands and as far north as Midway and south as NZ.

aloha,

Steve

Here is the final vehicle from our last dive. It is pretty much just chassis with front fenders. I think the fenders look pretty similar to the earlier touring car. Another point of interest on it is the wheel appears to have had the wooden spokes which have long deteriorated. Not too exciting, but perhaps it may provide clues to these two cars identities.

I've also added 3 more nice images from the touring car that are from the HD captures that I finally was able to get from the data dept. I don't know if they really provide any more insight, but they're different angles and one of them shows the opposite side. The front door is completely off there leaving me still uncertain as to whether that front door opens forward or aft.

All comments and observations welcome. Enjoy.

aloha,

Steve

Vehicle frame wit.jpg

Touring Car side .jpg

Touring car door..jpg

Touring Car overv.jpg

Reversing the corrosion process and restoration might cost way more. Survey may actually be really be the best way to preserve them (cost-wise).

aloha,

Steve

I was looking at a display in the Fremantle museum and it showed a steel cannon brought up in the early days, before all the science and another one brought up with the science. The original one, once out of the water continued falling apart, the newer one they keep sumbmersed a lot longer and did magic tricks and it came out fairly pristinge.

I know a fair bit about different corrosion damage mechanisms but not sure what is going on in that once out of the water it deterioates quicker. I can only assume the metallic structure becomes completely polarised under the water and kind of stabilises it with the lesser oxygen. Once out of the water, lots of oxygen it goes off like a sherbet bomb (the phd's are going to be shaking their heads at my rough guess).

Also saw a video of the USS Arizona survey and they mention certain chambers less oxygen, less damage. Pity it's 93 mb (just checked). Interesting part was finding a set of trousers still on the hanger in the cupboard

• 2 years later...

It is not often that we restart old threads, but this one was really something special and deserves another go. There is another reason and for which i ask for your help. You will remember that Steve Price provided great interest to this forum with his postings of photographs of submerged vehicles taken from the manned submersibles off Hawaii. Well Steve has just contacted me with this message.

This is going out to all our friends in Maritime Heritage.

In case you haven't heard, NOAA has zeroed out our budget starting Oct 1. If we are not reinstated our submersible program will be likely shut down. This program has been operating for 30 years doing science, research, and exploration from Midway to New Zealand.....not to mention our discoveries and contributions to Maritime Heritage, which were not really a part of our mission, but we were able to conduct via our "test and trial" dives.

Please support us by joining the petition linked below before March 27th Senate Hearing. Lets keep the only remaining manned deep submergence assets in Central and Western Pacific funded and operational. Forwarding to friend, family, and collegues, along with any personal commentary would be appreciated.

aloha,

Steve Price

Maintenance Chief, Co-Pilot, Diver

Hawaii Undersea Research Lab

http://signon.org/sign/support-deep-sea-research-1?source=c.em.cp&r_by=3361848

They only require another 68 signatures. Now make that 67. it will make a difference. please do it.

Thanks

Tim

I'd suggest you may wish to tweak the thread title to encourage US contributors to consider signing, as I'm sure signatures originating inside the USA will carry more weight if and when the petition is reviewed.

I've taken the liberty of cross-posting this on the WW2 Dodge Forum " Pre-WW2 " section with an eye to getting some more US contributors to consider support.

http://forum.ww2dodge.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9530&p=55063#p55063

Keep us informed please.

Edited by Gordon_M

Done!

I left the following message

We need to understand the hidden parts of our planet, the most hidden areas are only accessable to submersibles, do not underestimate the importance of the work they do.

It it also worth considering that underwater human history need to be recorded, it is ephemeral, if it is not researched now it will be gone forever.

• 1 year later...

Great news I just heard from Steve and the petition was a success. So many thanks to everyone who signed. They are still operating although they don't have the resources they used to have. Anyway, Steve sent me some results from their latest dive. Do say if you think you can identify any of them. The last one is a Nash (although obviously not a Quad).

Tim

VEH-41_Headlight_zps2590f03d.jpg

VEH-44_Steering_wheel_amp_rims_zpse4f7675c.jpg

VEH-42_Decayed_headlight_amp_wheel_zps4841ffc6.jpg

VEH-43_Coupe_zps85e57570.jpg

VEH-45_Nash_composite_zps4883d92f.jpg