Deep Sea FWD

DeepSeaDrifter

This is what i think you have:

Heiltipper.jpg

or at least something very similar. I believe that these dump body's were made by the Heil Co and were fitted to trucks of all different sorts.

The photo is fairly self explanatory, but the oil pump for the hydraulic cylinder is driven from the transmission. The two pulleys that you can see have cables running over them which connect to either side of the dumper body, but i cant see where the other end of the cable connects. As the hydraulic hoist is extended the cables raise the body up to an angle of 40 degrees.

Degsy and Old Bill, you both probably know more about hydraulics than me so i am sure you can add more to it than what i have done.

Thoughts please?

Tim (too)

Thanks for moving this thread to Pre WW2 Vehicles. I have not seen it before and am simply amazed by the pictures of what lies on the ocean floor.

I recently came across some old Thornycroft J type parts and a hoist like this was with the parts. I came to the conclusion that it could not belong to the Thornycroft as hydraulics were a much later invention. Seeing the truck on the ocean floor with a similar hoist has me re-evaluating my earlier assumptions. Below is a picture of the hoist. I had to have it pulled apart for freight. The wire rope wheels don't hang down on this one but are mounted on each side. If anyone has any information as to when hydraulics,and in particular this tipping arrangement, were first used on these trucks,I would be very interested to know.

image_zpsb97f4b5f.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regards the hoist.

We have a similar one here that had been placed on a Leyland RAF at some time in its working life.

The brass plate on the hoist states the manufacturer as The Wood Hydraulic & Body Co, of Detroit.

Type DDJR12A patented Dec 28 1915. Guaranteed for loads not exceeding 6 tons.

The tipping body and lifting arms are similar to those shown in the photograph.

Also have a report of a Leyland being purchased with a hydraulic tipper by the local county in 1921. During a sales demonstration it leaked hydraulic oil with the Mayor receiving a shower of oil.

The truck was still purchased by the County Council.

Plans are to place the tipping deck and hydraulic hoist on another Leyland chassis here of the early 1920's period, and finish it in the style of the local Council of the time. Meanwhile the 1916 Leyland (the host for the hoist) gets rebuilt back to WW1 style. None of the projects are from the original local truck as they all have been transported in from afar.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...