leaking roof

paul connor

Question

ok, I thought this was a good idea... canvas to hardtop..

Well itseams the hardtop leaks more than the soft!

the metal ribs on the roof (x3) seem to have lifted and form a nice channel for water to run to the front and into the cab over the roof join.

I have tried sealant. does not work.. now have duck tape on the roof! but does anyone or has anyone had the same problem and solved?

Had the same problem with my ex army defender!!When I bought it it had a home made canvas truckcab that I didn't like but never let in a drop of water.I fitted a full hardtop,new seals everywhere and now it leaks everywhere.Not too much of a problem at the moment because it's so cold the puddles in the footwells are frozen so you don't get wet feet!!!!Everyone I talked to about this came up with the same answer,they all do!!!!!

Daren

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Untrue, I got done for speeding in an 2 litre 80 inch S1

Oh yes an 80 is that the model that L/rover made using a perfectly good vehicle ie jeep and managed to wreck every aspect of it.Ok for off roading

with a v8 and soggy springs,apart from that orrid:-D

Oh yes an 80 is that the model that L/rover made using a perfectly good vehicle ie jeep and managed to wreck every aspect of it.Ok for off roading

with a v8 and soggy springs,apart from that orrid:-D

This from a man who drives a vehicle (debateable) designed by committee

and broken before it left the drawing board:rofl:

Award winning best in show vehicle.But not just any old show.DUXFORD:cool2:

Absolute rubbish vehicle your right,70+ mph,5 speed syncro box,

independent suspension all round,Rack/pinion steering,sounds like the same spec as the latest range Rover:-D:pfrt:

Award winning best in show vehicle.But not just any old show.DUXFORD:cool2:

Absolute rubbish vehicle your right,70+ mph,5 speed syncro box,

independent suspension all round,Rack/pinion steering,sounds like the same spec as the latest range Rover:-D:pfrt:

OK so the theory wasn't bad but in practice.......:rolleyes::-D

Untrue, I got done for speeding in an 2 litre 80 inch S1

Ah - but was it in drive - or were you freewheeling down a hill with a following gale??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I take mine over 40 mph the back end has a VERY disconcerting habit of trying to overtake the front end - Gawd know why 'cos I don't!!!

And yes - it leaks big time!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Try the 'Speedliner' type stuff used to protect pick up beds. You can easily remove the roof and turn upside down to spray it on. Choice of colours available, but can't remember where to get it. Never tried it myself but apparently works well against leaks and condensation.

I just wear waterproofs wherever I drive :coffee:

Edited by daz76

Drill out all the rivets, seperate into component parts, seal all the joints, rerivet IT'LL STILL LEAK :rofl:

As chrisg says this is the main problem, coupled to the fact that LR never used a seal between the roof panel and sides. Silicone is not a great solution. There is proper panel sealant which caravan/motorhome/bodybuilders use which is better. I did have some success with about 14 tubes of silicone between the roof and sides combined with waxoyl sprayed into the gutter on the outside to help seal the rivets-worth a try?? Ribs on a hardtop also let in water and water which enters at the back can leak in at the front...... Part of the joy of LR ownership!! Never a dull (or dry) moment. I also find 90/110 door rubbers are better than series, but need careful fitting. Ultimately water will probably still come in the door top when you go round a corner.Let us know how you get on.:-D

The door top leak is easy to fix,as you say use later rubbers,Then weald a short bit of tube to the top of the centre bar middle of windscreen,fix a rope to clips on each doortop.joining them together,cut the end of the broom handle and put thro the rope at the centre point,The faster you go the more the tops flap,so twist the handle till the rope tightens the tops,then put the handle in the tube to stop the rope loosening.Easy.:-D:-D:-D:idea::rofl:

The door top leak is easy to fix,as you say use later rubbers,Then weald a short bit of tube to the top of the centre bar middle of windscreen,fix a rope to clips on each doortop.joining them together,cut the end of the broom handle and put thro the rope at the centre point,The faster you go the more the tops flap,so twist the handle till the rope tightens the tops,then put the handle in the tube to stop the rope loosening.Easy.:-D:-D:-D:idea::rofl:

....but make sure your centre seat passenger has a full-face crash helmet...:rofl:

We used to devote a lot of time to water/wind-proofing our Ferrets in BAOR. We had to open up cos we weren't allowed to drive on periscopes on roads. A windscreen was issued which did the job - ish, but there were also the side hatches to look out of.

We cut Perspex to fit the open hatches. The stepped hull gave the Perspex a good step to rest on, but there were two different hatch shapes, square or contoured to the slope of the glacis plate, they had curved corners and they had to fit around the hatch mechanism (though I know that in some units they actually removed the hatches to ease fitting the Perspex), which made cutting a tight fit impossible.

We used yards and yards of "black masking tape" (duct tape) to attach the Perspex and seal both front and side hatches.

But wet was a fact of life and we got over it.

I did hear of people routing warm air off the engine and round the Ferret crew compartment, but there were also tales of people killing themselves with the fumes, so being toughie cavalrymen we just got cold. And wet. And tired.