leaking roof

paul connor

Question

ok, I thought this was a good idea... canvas to hardtop..

Well itseams the hardtop leaks more than the soft!

the metal ribs on the roof (x3) seem to have lifted and form a nice channel for water to run to the front and into the cab over the roof join.

I have tried sealant. does not work.. now have duck tape on the roof! but does anyone or has anyone had the same problem and solved?

so being toughie cavalrymen we just got cold. And wet. And tired.

Yeah but, we were all younger and stupider then! :-D

It didn't take me long to realise. I transferred out and was attached to a REME MRG. My first exercise with them was in deep snow. Come night-time, out came camp beds, blankets, pillows, kerosene heaters, kitchen sinks. Me? I rolled out the maggot and jumped in, letting the maggot sink into the snow and letting the snow insulate me from the real cold.

After a fortnight of demonstrating to the REEMs how REAL soldiers got by in the cold, I stopped and asked myself WHY? Anybody can be cold, hard and tough. It has been a long slide from that moment to, "I'll put another degree on the thermostat, then."

My 80" canvas truck cab used to let show in between the roof and the windscreen. The front of the canvas hooks over lugs on the top edge of the windscreen. At anything over 10 mph, the roof flaps up and down opening gaps between the hooks. The snow comes in and falls gently the wrong side of the windscreen.

The other trick my 80" did was to impersonate a surfaceing whale.

On the transmission tunnel, there was a hinged door to access the gearbox dip stick and filler. This lid was aledgedly held closed by a swivelling flat spring. ( which tended to move around and around.) If you hit a big puddle at speed, water would rush apwards hitting the floor, forcing open the door and arriving as a muddy freezing geyser, that hit the roof and fell back on you.

I don't drive a Land-rover anymore and I can now wear clean clothes and keep them that way...

Paul,heres a little pointer on landrovers lolAdvantages.jpg

1, My mother has twice been caught speeding in a 109" Safari.

2,I only discovered that my 1961 Series 2a SWB had a leak in the roof on the passenger side when i started courting my missus, i was dead chuffed how useful she was obviously going to be.

3,When courting in '86 i spent the 6 mile journey to her house alternating hands on the windscreen so i always had a hand shape to peer out of.

4,You soon learn what to carry to replace what falls off.

5,In my youth i put a loud stereo with home speakers either side of the cab and ended up double deaf.

6, You can also open the windscreen vents and get a mouthful of leaves,sweety papers and dust.

7,Especially whilst trying to disengage FWD.

8,Bonzo could also escape without opening the doors due to panel gaps.

9,After a evening bumping around the fields checking the cows in a Series 3 my daughter popped onto the scene.

10, Some of the surprise will bring a smile to your lips and some surprises will have people wetting themselves with laughter at your misfortune,you get a thick skin eventually.

As for number 9 I know that feeling! :shake: After the ex spent the evening on a horse my son was born three months prem. He missed being born in the Land Rover by about ten minutes! Another pice of advice, NEVER take a female scared of spiders in a Land Rover. When one puts in an apperance in front of her nose while you are driving up a steep bendy hill, with a LOT of other trafic coming down. You do NOT need Ex Lax. :n00b:

Talking Land Rover roofs- I spent ages saving up for an engagement ring for the current Mrs Daz and spent it on a new soft top and sticks and various other bits for the 109 I had at the time. :) After a regular ear-bending about that I saw a rather tasty 90 and sold the lot about 6 months later to buy it :-D Start off as you mean to go on, that's what I say! still.....we can laugh about it now.......:n00b:

I had a series 3 FFR with canvas roof which never leaked, slapped thompsons weather seal on it, top stuff, although my feet used to get wet from the water dripping in from the bulkhead!

In service we operated FFR's with hardtops, they probably had so much paint on them that the water never came in through the rivets. To insulate them, we went to barrack stores and picked up old carpet that had been taken out of married quarters, we cut it up and glued it inside the roof using contact adhesive (Id like to point out that dingey green carpet was easy to come by, although a couple of exotic orange ones went about!) we then went to great lengths carpeting the rear out with two layers of the same stuff, not only did it insulate, it also sound proofs the vehicle, helping to muffle radio sounds and to cover the sound of movement in the vehicle, accidently dropping a headset onto a floor with no carpet covering at night could quite easily give your position away.

I always like looking at pictures of restored FFR's thinking they look nothing like an operational version did!