You're better off without them unless you're on tarmac, and especially if you're on cars! :-)

Andy

I have heard that about car crushing (it's hard on the pads & other bits). Did not know that you could run the tracks w/o pads (kind of thought it would be like driving a car/truck on rims alone). Should have brought one of those back in the 90's when they were (really) cheap. Oh well..

Matt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that about car crushing (it's hard on the pads & other bits). Did not know that you could run the tracks w/o pads (kind of thought it would be like driving a car/truck on rims alone). Should have brought one of those back in the 90's when they were (really) cheap. Oh well..

Matt

There's not a lot of point in using the pads on mud/grass - it's just a waste of rubber. On tarmac without pads I think you are restricted to 5 mph, and obviously you need to make sure you don't damage the road surface.

The folks I know don't do car crushing due to the damage it causes to the vehicles. It's not just hard on the tracks, anything caught in them can damage the rest of the vehicle. It must be a safety nightmare as well.

Edited by Lauren Child

As the holder of a MOD small arms range supervisor's ticket many moons ago, I'm not sure I'm entirely happy about the safety aspects of those demos. I know it isn't live ammunition, but even so ... :blush:

Andy

I can completely agree, it would have been a bit more professional to have had a range officer conducting the demo.

Diesel CVRT Scimitar... at Tanks, Trucks & Firepower Show 2013. Andrew Baker putting this amazing vehicle through its paces. Neutral Turns.... Reverse Driving... and a couple of Slow Motion sequences. .... awesome !! Cummins Engine. 30mm Rardon Canon

" width="644" height="390">
">Something went wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1C_TvYb-Y

What an amazing machine... seems to glide along... great acceleration and speed. So quiet.. is it electric or is the driver peddling !!!

Lovely restoration.... very impressed.

The M29 Weasel was a World War II tracked vehicle, built by Studebaker, designed for operation in snow.

The idea for the Weasel came from the work of British inventor Geoffrey Pyke in support of his proposals to attack Axis forces and industrial installations in Norway. Pyke's plan to hamper the German atomic weapons development became Project Plough for which he proposed a fast light mechanised device that would transport small groups of commando troops of the 1st Special Service Force across snow. In active service in Europe, Weasels were used to supply frontline troops over difficult ground when wheeled vehicles were immobilised.

The first 2,103 vehicles had 15 in (380 mm) tracks, a later version had 20 in (510 mm) tracks. The M29 was amphibious, but with a very low freeboard;[2] the M29C Water Weasel was the amphibious version, with buoyancy cells in the bow and stern as well as twin rudders.

Something went wrong...

I agree, the tow rope was too high making the car "Dig" into the earth, increasing the pull and subsequent added stresses on the rope, the guy sitting at the rear of the tow vehicle was in line for a possible injury from the rope if it should part

particularly at the point on the towed vehicle............ just got to be careful folks.

To me the moral winner is the old Ford. Definitely.

Though a completely defenseless vehicle, they had cowardly stripped its wheels so that it could not escape anymore and had nothing left than to be smashed by the "tank". But even then, the Galaxy resisted very long ...and in fact the driver of the "tank" should have closed the hatch so that he could have left the arena without the spectators recognizing him.

To me the moral winner is the old Ford. Definitely.

Though a completely defenseless vehicle, they had cowardly stripped its wheels so that it could not escape anymore and had nothing left than to be smashed by the "tank". But even then, the Galaxy resisted very long ...and in fact the driver of the "tank" should have closed the hatch so that he could have left the arena without the spectators recognizing him.

Agreed.... thanks for your response.... made me chuckle !!

• 2 weeks later...