Manufacturers I.D. on vehicles

N.O.S.

Some WW2 U.S. vehicles started out with the maker's name proudly displayed, but later this I.D. was left off. Was this a deliberate policy?

For example early GMCs had a nice 'GMC' badge on the radiator, later omitted, and early Chev 1 1/2 T trucks had embossed engine side panels, later plain.

What about British WW2 vehicles?

For example I don't think the Matador gun tractor ever had a radiator badge, whereas the Albion gun tractor had the maker's name cast into the radiator. You can understand the desire not to waste valuable materials on unecessary enamelled badges at this time.

What about maker's I.D. on post war vehicles? I don't recall seeing any I.D.s on FV series vehicles.

I seem to remember Jeep started with their name embossed on the tailgate and when it went into full production alog with Ford thay had to stop doing this as it gave them unfair advantage or something like that. ?

In the case of the USA when the Ordnance Dept took over responsibility for vehicles from the Quartermaster Corps in August 1942 they issued orders to manufacturers to stop names/badges being put on vehicles.

Got to admit I have no idea about the naming policy on British vehicles, Richard F. will probably know the answer on this one.

There did seem to be a move with British equipment to hide the details of manufacturers. Early in the war, the cast brass plates on vehicles and their bodies, had the makes name and sometimes location, on examples I have seen, all the letters bar the first one of each word, are ground off, for instance, a plate from a generator trailer, maker, Taskers of Andover Ltd, all that is now visible, "T..... o. A....... L..". On Austin lorries, with later type etched plates, only marked as "AM", ie. Austin Motor Co. Ltd. This might have been done to try and hide the location of the factories from the enemy. Saying this, Bedford had their name on the grille of all their vehicles throughout the war.

<snipped>

What about maker's I.D. on post war vehicles? I don't recall seeing any I.D.s on FV series vehicles.

FV 620/622/623 and 624 (Stalwart) had the red "Alvis" triangle on the front swim board (when fitted......). As did the Salamander I believe (in RAF terms the Mk VI Crash Tender)

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Some Pioneers had the Scammell cast into the coffee pot and some didn't, I am not sure but I think the later ones had no name.

Didn't they make a film about Scammell....... Horse with No Name:-D

As I understood it that one of the tie ins with Ford was that should a WWII Jeep suffer some bad parts / defective parts Henry didn't want to be replacing any Willy's parts so he insisted that every Ford mfg part have a Ford identification , not sure if that was just "F" marking or a Ford part number . This was important since both GPW and MB had interchangeable parts for the most part .

Martian had a large LEYLAND badge on both bonnet sides, Explorer had SCAMMELL cast into the radiator header tank, Crusader had either LEYLAND or SCAMMELL in large letters on the front.

Explorers have Scammell across the rad header, Austin K9 has Austin on the Bonnet, Antars had not only Thornycroft on up to four badges, but Antar in big friendly letters across the Rad Guard......

makersplates007.jpg

and the famous T ( no not that one!) on the end of the half shafts.

Edited by antarmike

Some Pioneers had the Scammell cast into the coffee pot and some didn't, I am not sure but I think the later ones had no name.

My pioneer was built in 1945 and it has no name cast in the radiator or any Gardner name cast in the inspection plates on the engine

My pioneer was built in 1945 and it has no name cast in the radiator or any Gardner name cast in the inspection plates on the engine

Lack of Gardner name is interesting - doesn't this suggest a specific policy of hiding I.D.??

Antarmike - when I made reference to the FV series, I was thinking more of the Champ / Humber / Martian ranges which were designs with a high degree of input from FVRDE rather than the primarily commercial designs like Militant, Antar, Explorer (am I right in my thinking here?).

In fact thinking about it, perhaps the lack of I.D. (?) on these FVRDE based vehicles is more because they were not a pure Manufacturer design, rather than a requirement to hide the manfacturer's name maybe??

Edited by N.O.S.

Matadors didn't (generally) carry an AEC Triangle but had AEC cast into clutch inspection plate, some rear axle bollard caps etc

makersplates003.jpg

makersplates004.jpg

makersplates005.jpg

makersplates006.jpg

Lower shot is the brass lubrication chart, often found screwed to the drivers door, Clearly says its an AEC Matador.

Edited by antarmike