Austin K series gallery.

Austin

Isn't that K2 Naafi van one of the PW Civil Defence trucks?

Not Civil Defence but converted post war for the AFS, converted from wartime Auxiliary Towing Vehicles.

Thesed are often seen at shows depicting wartime canteens.

Another case of history being distorted??

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ted,

I know GXH355 well, that photo was taken on our pitch at Beltring last week. The AFS logos can still be seen under the gloss green paint. Do you have any more in service photos of it? Despite the owner telling people that they are 1950s Canteens, there are people out there who own them that believe they were used to serve tea in the Blitz.

Chris

I don't have any other shots of GXH 355 in AFS service but there are several in various books of other examples .

TED

Thanks for that Ted. I well remember them from my childhood, lots around then. I also remember similar vehicles with a sort of curved side half body on them, painted light grey but I don't remember their use, perhaps from this rather vague description you might be able to tell me what they were used for but I have vague memories of them having a large bell so perhaps they were also NFS vehicles.

Degsy Many of the ATVs and heavy units kept in store till 1968 were in a silver grey primer see attached of GGX 441 the other piccy is a restored Austin K4 heavy unit 700gpm Gwynne pump with its own Leyland engine it is in BS 32 later 632 Dk Ad grey but this schemed was replaced from october 1945 onwards back to peacetime colours.

TED

FYY288-HU.jpg

GGX441.JPG

Hi Ted, I've got quite a soft spot for the Austins and Bedfords of this period as so many were around when I was young and the RAF one pictured looks quite attractive. However leaving aside the tyres it still doesn't tie up with my memories of these vehicles, has the owner used a bit of poetic licence or would it have appeared at some time with this livery and markings.?

Poetic licence I would have to say possibly slightly .

But firstly can I say it is a fantastic restoration .

As I get older I tend to take the view that its up to the individual paying the bill, I get pissed off with all these experts telling me my Austion Gipsy is series 3 not a 4 there was never a series 3 !! and that the partition beteween the front seats and back space was not authentic etc etc I fitted the partition to facilitate fitting of head rests and to stop stuff flying forward . But these donkeys could n't see my point about safety being the No1 concern. at my last show Scone 2007 I actually told a bunch of halfwits to disappear with the big F O as they thought I was a criminal for modifying the vehicle ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!

But turning to the RAF K2

If the headlight blackout masks were removed it would be spot on for april 46 to april 49 if the wings were painted black.

BUT having said that no doubt some on repainting to RAF blue grey in 46 never received the black wings that the AMOs called for.

Its easy to sit here and look at copies of the regulations and say that isn't correct but we all know rules were made to be broken ,

I would be most interested to see the picture that is resting on the bumper.

A fantastic job just wish it was mine oh well lottery tomorrow must buy a ticket from the pension or shall I get a tin of corned beef for Sunday lunch !!!

regards TED

I would be most interested to see the picture that is resting on the bumper.

A fantastic job just wish it was mine oh well lottery tomorrow must buy a ticket from the pension or shall I get a tin of corned beef for Sunday lunch !!!

regards TED

ted,

the book on the bumper was a collection of pictures of the restoration, the cab needed a lot of work but everything was there for a pattern, it is a fantastic restoration and won a prize i beleive :)

regards

Degsy Many of the ATVs and heavy units kept in store till 1968 were in a silver grey primer see attached of GGX 441 the other piccy is a restored Austin K4 heavy unit 700gpm Gwynne pump with its own Leyland engine it is in BS 32 later 632 Dk Ad grey but this schemed was replaced from october 1945 onwards back to peacetime colours.

TED

Thats the one I was thinking of Ted but I have to admit that my memory was a bit duff on the exact shape. Part of the reason for my interest is that an uncle of mine served in the Fire Service for more than forty years including right through WW2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thought you would like to know about a couple of Austin 'K's needing your help. I am a member of the HCVS and two have appeared for sale in poor condition in their magazine this month, but possibly only useful for spares. One is a sister of the K4 in post113 except it is GXN202; the other is more military as it is a Sun-bodied K6 Airfield crash tender HXA 866 from 1947.

Both have been advertised by a Mr Cole from Fireworld, who is thinnning a collection. He can be contacted at admin@fireworld.org.uk or send me a pm for his phone number.Location is Weedon, Northampton, inspection is by appointment only. Save them before they go , even if it is only for spares. Anybody doing so, put a post up for my interest .Thanks.

Mike.

Hi guys,

Thought you would like to know about a couple of Austin 'K's needing your help. I am a member of the HCVS and two have appeared for sale in poor condition in their magazine this month, but possibly only useful for spares. One is a sister of the K4 in post113 except it is GXN202; the other is more military as it is a Sun-bodied K6 Airfield crash tender HXA 866 from 1947.

Both have been advertised by a Mr Cole from Fireworld, who is thinnning a collection. He can be contacted at admin@fireworld.org.uk or send me a pm for his phone number.Location is Weedon, Northampton, inspection is by appointment only. Save them before they go , even if it is only for spares. Anybody doing so, put a post up for my interest .Thanks.

Mike.

There is plenty more from "Fireworld" that could do with saving as well!!! At least he is finally seeing sense and letting a few of them go, albeit it could be too late for some of them. :(

This collection has done more miles since the vehicles joined the collection than when they were in service ! I first saw this collection when I was on a course at RAF Cardington in 1983. THey were colocated with the fire research station in the right hand airship shed !!

Here is a picture of HXA 912 when she was in much safer hands at Duxford !!

austink6co2_13.JPG

Sorry I meant to add the one for sale HXA 866 was converted by Birmingham airport into a de icer; although the bulk of her remains original.

She is the only know example of the Austin K6 crash tender of that design to have survived. The vehicle was in very good condition when the current outfit got her I say no more !! ARGHHHH

TEd