youngguns explorer blog

younggun

llandudno was good if not a little windy, Saw Julian with jumbo and had a chat. I am all road legal now but need to drain the diesel tank. Not this weekend though cos i'm taking the landy to another rally but hopefully next week is the first run :-D

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the problem with the engine mounts? Stick some pics up perhaps we can offer some advice ect.:-)

well the problem is rob i am really in over my head at this point and really cant decide which is the best way off doing things . i have never done anything like this before so am really crawling around in the dark with engine mounts .

here is what i have cooked up for the rear mounts so far .

idea is that everything sits inside the chassis rails but i have made a mistake and its a bit of a tight fit a present, need to mill off 10 mil each side on the steel blocks to make more room in there

P1020606.jpg

P1020609.jpg

Edited by younggun

Bloody hell Nick no danger of your engine falling out there then:wow: All looks pretty spot on to me. carry on:-D

its all the power rob all the extra weight will help keep the front wheels on the ground .

as i say i dont know wot i am doing so hard to tell if wot i have made is good enough for the job

Edited by younggun

It's better to build it too big than have it fail. At least you have access to a milling machine i would have to be chewing away with a hacksaw and grinder.

Anyway always remember the golden rule....... measure once, cut twice:rotfl:

any idea where i can get an old tarpauling like the one you cover your scammell with? It seems like the answer to my lack of shed

not off the top of my head rob mine was donated to me by a wealthy organaization we shall not say more than that ... spose u could find one one on ebay i am note sure i keep playing with the idea of haveing one made just to fit over the back body so i can keep that on while running down the road aswell .

Edited by younggun

any idea where i can get an old tarpauling like the one you cover your scammell with? It seems like the answer to my lack of shed

If you are looking for a Tarpauline, try an Builders Merchants, sometimes they sell them, there is a Jewsons down on the Harbour at Portmadoc, dont know what their prices are like, I think there is a Haulage Firm in Portmadoc you could try them, they haul stone, they might have an old one they could help you with, other than that you would have to google in Truck Tarpaulines & see what comes up, Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So how you getting nick? Hope its all going to plan. I'm really looking forward to seeing some updates here soon....I get all excited every time i log on:cheesy: I had mine give ma a good ass kicking last weekend....almost had a "put the *&$*&*$ thing on ebay moment":banghead: But after a long weekend of painfull graft all should be well again:-)

progress is still slow at the moment rob i have a bit of up dateing to on here to do. The engine is in the rails at the momment but only just sat there on some wood . front mount has been made and backs have been re-engineered so they fit . so its just a case of bolting it in when all the other bits come to gether. still working on clutch at the mo mate . will update soon as i get home as i am out driveing a low loader this week .

i did read about your little disaster. there was a complete gearbox on ebay the other week only went for 350 quid i did have a bid but not haveing a fancy phone its hard to stay near the laptop to win the thing . hows it looking now ? looks like u had a nice run out tho u need a good run out for a couple of hours to get every thing nice and warm will drive totaly differnt then .

Edited by younggun

• 3 weeks later...

Your not still out driving that low loader are you? Been looking forward to some fresh and exciting new updates of progress and the like..... Anyway been poking around on youtube looking at engine related stuff and wonderd if anyone has ever fitted a Detroit two stroke in an explorer or have they got too much torque for the gearbox? Aparently some rev to 2600rpm and like it up there

rearly must get round to doin an update but time is rearly killing me at tho mo mate ive been out driveing for the last 3 weeks now and with the weather naff all has got done . but the engine is now mounted :dancing: but engine has been removed again so we can continue to tinker with the cluth arangement progress is being made but god its slow

nick

• 2 weeks later...
Whats all this about you getting your Scammell fix.?.. I hope there will be some footage....And hows this engine conversion thingy getting on:-)

a very gd freind of mine gave me kind permission to look after his meadows petrol explorer last weekend at the bloxham rally . the it did get to me at one point and started haveing silly day dreams about petrol explorers but dont worry i am back on track now as regards to cummins progress i have no evidance to back up this claim of petrol perfection apart from the silly grin on my face :D .

tomorow i shall be up bright and early and this bloody cummins is goin back in the truck where it blelongs and it will stay there this time .

i will get some pics up tomorow after the days work

but so far the engine mounts have all been sorted throttle cable has been sorted clutch is in the final stages of being tweekd as is all the other bits that go with that . exhaust is in the planing stage and so is the air intake .

but tomorow we hope to get all the clucth and bearing carrier to gether and engine seated in the truck where it will hopefully stay .

for all who follow this thread i appolagise for the lack of work being done lately but things havent been going to plan and i will admit at times it has been hard to stay positive that i will get this done . i have decided not to attend war and peace this year as i dont have the time at my disposal :embarrassed:

nick

Edited by younggun

Hey man....If its getting you down come and tell us, we can help cheer you up and laugh lots too:) Really looking forward to seeing some pictures:cool2: Don't be shy with the camara now:laugh: Are you using the Scammell oil bath filters? just a thought but i know someone who fitted a turbo engine in a landy series 3 and the bloomin thing pulled the oil up from the filter it sucked so hard... It will probrobly be ok but i thought i would mention it. Someone else on here might have already done it

Hey man....If its getting you down come and tell us, we can help cheer you up and laugh lots too:) Really looking forward to seeing some pictures:cool2: Don't be shy with the camara now:laugh: Are you using the Scammell oil bath filters? just a thought but i know someone who fitted a turbo engine in a landy series 3 and the bloomin thing pulled the oil up from the filter it sucked so hard... It will probrobly be ok but i thought i would mention it. Someone else on here might have already done it

it has been getting me down a fair bit lately but its more a time thing , things were going bad last weekend, so had to walk away and i am glad i did in the end .

yea planning to use the scammell filters Deputy had all ready warned me about the sucking oil problem he used the scammell filters on his 290 rolls and just runs them with no oil in just a light coating over the mesh ,

Edited by younggun

I'm sure it will all fall into place before long Nick. I know how frustrating it is to have the Scammell sitting there and no time to work on it. Haven't laid a spanner on mine for a year or so now I think because of work commitments. I hope the fitting of the engine goes well for you. :-D

When you're back out on the road it will all be worthwhile. You can still put a Meadows Petrol in-it's not too late...:whistle:

Edited by daz76

Damn things do get you down sometimes, and you wonder why you bothered in the first place. Don't panic we've all been there, you just have to walk away and leave it for another day. It can be soul destroying, but you get there in the end and you'll laugh about it afterwards. Keep taking the photos, we are all looking forward to the next installment.

Damn things do get you down sometimes, and you wonder why you bothered in the first place. Don't panic we've all been there, you just have to walk away and leave it for another day. It can be soul destroying, but you get there in the end and you'll laugh about it afterwards. Keep taking the photos, we are all looking forward to the next installment.

Can't agree more with that. At the last show I took my Explorer to, I put my knees through the rear floor where it's gone from new to rotten in 6 years. The friend who usually runs it to shows when I take the Militant came to borrow it today. Batteries were too flat to start her, found out it's not charging, and one of the exhaust pipe sections has almost split in two. Fired up with a short boost charge, and went the 60+ miles without a major drama, but lots to do as ever just to stand still. All worth it in the end!

Jules