youngguns explorer blog

younggun

Just been watching this on you tube and expect to see Floyd doing similar things but with severel Scammells behind on straight bars. Not sure about the chassis flex :wow:but a least with the scammell the front wheel won't leave the ground:cool2: Think those two must have meadows diesel engines judging by the amount of smoke and the way they set off up that hill:rofl:

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

just a little upadate on how the engine is comeing along

and before rob asks NO ITS NOT IN YET !!!!

we got the sump sorted in the end after much head scratching . we made a new pick up pipe useing some hydraulic fittings to get the 90 degree bends in the pipe in such a tight space . it dosent look to pretty but it should do the job .

turbo has been turned and spacer made to lift it up inline with the inlet manifold

after much worry and panic we have solved the fan problem we now have the right fan mounting not compleatly out of the woods with it but its looking better . haveing the fan drive comeing off at a higer point off the front of the engine might be an advantage as it gives a lot more room to play around with a front engine mount .

also have made a blanking plate for where the power steering pump used to sit and cleaned the engine ready for a nice coat of paint .

pics to follow

022.JPG

037.JPG

012.JPG

036.JPG

040.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

Edited by younggun

You going to bolt that fan bracket on or employ someone to hold it there while you drive? Just thinking it will be hard to keep the thing in line what with the fan trying to pull itself through the radiator?

I'm really bored at the mo so will just poke fun at you for a bit to entertain myself:evil:

we got the sump sorted in the end after much head scraching . we made a new pick up pipe useing some hydralic fittings to get the 90 degree bends in the pipe in such a tight space . it dosent look to pritty but it should do the job .

Just looking at your new pickup pipe. The slots in it, appear to be very restrictive when you consider the size of pipe and pump output. I would be more inclined to cut a section out where the slots are and cover in a fine mesh. Could not see what the original pipe end looked like.

Looks like you are making good progress.

Just looking at your new pickup pipe. The slots in it, appear to be very restrictive when you consider the size of pipe and pump output. I would be more inclined to cut a section out where the slots are and cover in a fine mesh. Could not see what the original pipe end looked like.

Looks like you are making good progress.

it dose look a bit restrictive i,ll give u that one richard . we have just copied that bit from the original we even cut a few more slots just for gd meassure

Edited by younggun

it dous looks a bit restrictive il give u that one richard . we have just copied that bit from the original we evan cut a few more slots just for gd messure

OK, I was wondering what the original was like, must be alright then. Thought I would ask as it would be a right pain to drop the sump once the engine was in. Best of luck with the project, hope to see it at Beltring this year.

cummins lump dose have a heat exchanger its part of the fillter houseings on the side of the engine .

pick up pipe has been fixed into the sump in much the same way as the orginal was just a few small straps here and there welded to hold it in place .

Edited by younggun

Just wondering how you worked out the position to fix it in, I made a jig using the sump bolt holes in the block then fitted it to the sump. Bet you had an easier way though..

basicly we just measured its position when we took it off from the bolt holes and refitted it that way just tacked it with a little bit of weld at first offered it up and then welded the rest when it was right .

so do i get top marks for compleating the homework task :angel:

Edited by younggun

i have just seen this pic on the link that was posted in the explorer gallerys . i know its got a petrol engine but i am pritty sure this is mine . just looking at the little deatails like the stickers in the window the writing on the crane and tyre pressures on the back body and the spotlight on the roof only thing is that the reme badge on the door is a little smaller . . been looking at this pic for a while now just wish there was a better pic

have been thinking if this is my truck would the meadows diesel conversion been done just by swaping the heads ? as my engine block seems to have MOD rebuild plates on it ?

scammell-explorer-10ton-recovery-tractor-profile.jpg

Edited by younggun

Meadows made the 6 DC 630 for a good few years. when When the army wanted petrol power scammell worked with meadows to convert the 6 DC to a 6 PC Which as far as i can tell from looking at the two Manuals involved only the top end. The crankshaft and pistons are the same as i now have a crank from a petrol in my diesel. Even the valve timing is the same for the petrol and diesel. Most of the extra cooling was for the exhaust manifold to reduce under bonnet temperature and to heat the inlet. Pretty sure the pistons are the same but the heads have a resess to lower the compression and the inlte and exhaust valves are on oposit sides.

pencil.pngjust another quick update started on meadows removel today while the paint is drying . got the rad off without too much trouble . is it possible to get it out without removeing the front crossmeber or am i just makeing it hard for myself by avoiding this ?

also my cummins dous not seem to have the pipe that has to be conected to the rad above the water line ? i dont understand wot is dous bernard ?

nick

010.JPG

015.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

001.JPG

011.JPG

002.JPG

011.JPG

I always take the lot off in one piece, side brackets, cross member, front grill, rad. quicker and easier, needs a hiab though.

The pipe vents the head water jacket to prevent air locks and possible hot spots.

It is the plug shown here:

It obviously wasn't needed in the donor truck but I would fit a vent hose to it just to be safe..

head ven.JPG

No you can't get it out without removing the cross member. Really handy that cos it's holding to front of the truck up. So have fun jacking between the axle and chassis members. It's just another utterly rubbish piece of Scammell engineering but hey ho all part of the joy of Scammell ownership. I was able to jack up under the huge ground anchor that has been welded to the front of mine. The only problem was when they put 400 welding rods into the front end it distorted slightly and i had to use lhe land rover to yank the two crossmembers out.

I always take the lot off in one piece, side brackets, cross member, front grill, rad. quicker and easier, needs a hiab though.

The pipe vents the head water jacket to prevent air locks and possible hot spots.

It is the plug shown here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42052[/ATTACH]

It obviously wasn't needed in the donor truck but I would fit a vent hose to it just to be safe..

dous it have to be above the water line or just above the head ? or just a tap to bleed it when filling ?