youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you can't get it out without removing the cross member. Really handy that cos it's holding to front of the truck up. So have fun jacking between the axle and chassis members. It's just another utterly rubbish piece of Scammell engineering but hey ho all part of the joy of Scammell ownership. I was able to jack up under the huge ground anchor that has been welded to the front of mine. The only problem was when they put 400 welding rods into the front end it distorted slightly and i had to use lhe land rover to yank the two crossmembers out.

received and understood . was the pin in the front axel hard to get out ? i am sure i can find some way of blocking it up .

Edited by younggun

Just take the U bolts off and prize the center spring locating pin out of the swivelly thing, do you need a pic of how I connected the rear axle heat exchanger?

Block up each side on the spring mounts with wood.

a pic wouldant hurt bernard my engine has a pipe coming out of the block the other side of the heat exchanger which i think went to the heater matrix in the cab . and i do remember u telling me how u wired up a rev counter , but could do with a revision lesson :)

Edited by younggun

Nice one Nick ! I'm very jealous of your onsite lifting equipment ! My rad was a two man lift to remove ! Keep the photo's coming !:D

thanks andy all was done today on ones jack jones i think most definitly there would be room in my fantasy barn for a IRON FAIRY such a brilliant tool .

I suppose thinking about it you could drop the whole rear cradle that the meadows sits in and drop the back end down. I don't suppose it matters if your not putting it back and fitting a different mounting arrangement. Depends how many times you need to plonk it in and out i order to get the thing lined up and tack welded / drilled and bolted ect :sweat:

I always take the lot off in one piece, side brackets, cross member, front grill, rad. quicker and easier, needs a hiab though.

The pipe vents the head water jacket to prevent air locks and possible hot spots.

It is the plug shown here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42052[/ATTACH]

It obviously wasn't needed in the donor truck but I would fit a vent hose to it just to be safe..

I dont claim to be an authority on the L10, but I have had dealings with a few, changing verticle ones from trucks to horizontal to fit in coaches. Always had trouble with that particular waterway. That plug in the head is blank sometimes and has to be drilled through with an extra long 4mm drill bit, essential to release air from head when engine is going to be laid on it's side. Would be worth checking before you get it fitted

Cracking thread (first time I've looked at it) best of luck with the rest of the change over. Looking forward to the Video of it running again

I dont claim to be an authority on the L10, but I have had dealings with a few, changing verticle ones from trucks to horizontal to fit in coaches. Always had trouble with that particular waterway. That plug in the head is blank sometimes and has to be drilled through with an extra long 4mm drill bit, essential to release air from head when engine is going to be laid on it's side. Would be worth checking before you get it fitted

Cracking thread (first time I've looked at it) best of luck with the rest of the change over. Looking forward to the Video of it running again

glad u like the thread cant wait to hear it running again my self i am suffering from scammelling withdrawel symptoms quite bad at the mo .. the ringing in ears has stoped and i can hear myself think .

meanwhile i have been doing a little bit more on the enigne got the exshaust manifold back on and have started working on the front fan mount and pully arangement ,

004.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

009.JPG

Excellent progress Nick , Floyd is gonna be one hell of a headturner (bird puller) with that shiney lump roaring away under the bonnet ! I can see your engine side covers on Ebay soon ! Well done mate you never fail to impress me with your skills and enthusiasm ! A credit to the younger generation ! Oh God did I write that ! I am an old git ! :-D

Excellent progress Nick , Floyd is gonna be one hell of a headturner (bird puller) with that shiney lump roaring away under the bonnet ! I can see your engine side covers on Ebay soon ! Well done mate you never fail to impress me with your skills and enthusiasm ! A credit to the younger generation ! Oh God did I write that ! I am an old git ! :-D

thanks andy i am glad u think so wasant quite sure if u approved of the cummins conversion and was secretly planning a public hanging for mudering the meadows :red:

Spanking!!!:thumbsup: Are we having a test run on the floor before popping it in?:cool2:

rob could u please stop putting ideas in my head rearly i have a hard enough time trying to silence my own stupid ideas with out yours aswell :cool2: ......

Edited by younggun

Fire it up!!! but you might have to weld that fan bracket on cos i don't think that G camp is gonna hold up:red: Infact best leave the belt off that fan looks a tad sharp as it sets off accross the workshop floor:laugh: Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it Start it :evil:

there are nowhere near enough two stroke diesel's running around the UK, one in a scammell would be just too cool!

great thread by the way, should make for a real nice truck with that new engine, keep up the good work.

Edited by RMS