youngguns explorer blog

younggun

and meanwhile back in the batcave

we now have turbo off sump off and gearbox in half :cool2:

now i have the clutch shaft out of the gearbox i think i will go down the path of having a new cltuch shaft made to take the original scammell flange on the end of it . thougts and ideas on this would be welcomed :-)

sump is off and me and oldgun have a few ideas on how to make this work at the mo . we are goin to go really high tec with this or really low tec

but mainly we have only dismanteld a few more bits, need to get some gaskets and some other parts before really getting creative :cool2:

002.JPG

017.JPG

015.JPG

021.JPG

033.JPG

009.JPG

Edited by younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what Jim Clark has done to his Mack clutch, maybe possible to use the original Scammell/Meadows clutch mechanism and housing and that way, still need custom shaft though, wadaya reckon?

See how tight it is in the front of that sump? Not easy..

I like what Jim Clark has done to his Mack clutch, maybe possible to use the original Scammell/Meadows clutch mechanism and housing and that way, still need custom shaft though, wadaya reckon?

See how tight it is in the front of that sump? Not easy..

could u enlighten me on the mack clutch please bernard ?

to fit the meadows clutch would i need to modifie the flyweel ? or are u thinking of just useing the scammell bell houseing ? the clutch is a pull off type the same as yours i think bernard .

i think i can make the eaton bell houseing work with the front face of the gearbox but the only thing that worries me is the lengh that the scmmell prop flage will be sticking out the back of it all :embarrassed:

i have all the clutch brake bits in the back of bell houseing so thats a gd start but i was thinking of fitting a disk brake of the rear of a moterbike round the prop flange and makeing a brake that way wot u do reckon ?

quote [in between all of this being done I removed the petrol engine and acquired an L10 Cummins diesel engine which is the same physical size, so no modifications need to be done to the truck. The bell housing as an SAE fitting so bolts up with no problems. The only difficulty we had was the Cummins engine has a twin plate pull type clutch and the Mack is a single plate push type clutch. So we modified the Cummins flywheel to accept the Mack pressure plate. I then had the Mack centreplate lined with modern friction material capable to taking the extra power of the engine.]

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22518-Mack-no2-restoration

Dunno what parts you would need but seems simpler somehow.

The Cummins should have an internal clutch brake that is squeezed onto the back of the bell housing by the thrust bearing, this was missing on mine.

i am told the clutch brake on an eaton gearbox is broken very easily by pushing the clutch to far down when moveing mine looks ok but have got my eye on one on evil bay ,

will look into fitting the meadows clutch gear mite take a while tho as engine has not been removed from scammell yet trying to get as much done on cummins with out getting too many meadows bits floating around the place .

Edited by younggun

i found some more info on my engine from cummins QUICKSERV website free to sign up and lets me view drawings and engine info

BASE ENGINE INFORMATION

Upfit Original

Engine Serial Number23518593

Shop Order #SO70509

PlantSHS - SHOTTS OPERATIONS

Build Date11 May 1988

Warranty Start Date01 Oct 1988

Customer Number70998

Customer Name

ECM CodeNot Available For This Engine

Fuel Pump Part #3279546

Fuel Pump Calibration

SC32Film

CardIEngine Config #D343020BX02

CPL #CPL921

Marketing Model NameLTA10 (290)

Service Model NameL10

Edited by younggun

I plan one day to change the clutch brake to a hand operated one on the gear stick. Only because i like to be different and it needs stripping off and sorting out anyway.

If anyone thiks it would overcomplicated to drive don't worry my other hobby is playing the drums:cool2:

How ofted do you see your mate with the CS Ellis Scammell cos he had a shaft made for his and i think it might be a good idea to have one made just as a get me home spare. How much was it?

I plan one day to change the clutch brake to a hand operated one on the gear stick. Only because i like to be different and it needs stripping off and sorting out anyway.

If anyone thiks it would overcomplicated to drive don't worry my other hobby is playing the drums:cool2:

How ofted do you see your mate with the CS Ellis Scammell cos he had a shaft made for his and i think it might be a good idea to have one made just as a get me home spare. How much was it?

i was thinking of a little brake lever on the gearstick aswell. i think if u could mount a disc brake and caliper on there quite easily or even a little air ram on the standard meadows brake .

i see and speak to Dep on a regular basis. He took me out off roading in Avon Dasset quarry the week and tried to kill me . will ask about his prop but he has been on about haveing a smaller one made as he thinks its a bit too heavy to have on there . i know where i can get a prop made just need some measurements before i get one made ,

dep is working on explorer number two at the moment .

Edited by younggun

Got any footage of him trying to kill you:-D When you pulling my spare engine out Floyd:cool2:

no was too pre occupied with holding on for dear life to vid anything . will pull the engine out when i am waiting for the paint to dry on the cummins i,ll reach a stage where i can not make anymore progress on the cummins till i have the meadows out , and then ill do it . havent decided wot to do with the meadows yet i just cant decided weather its going to be come a bird bath or a coffee table :-D

but i still like the ide of makeing a static disply mount it in a little trailer something like that

Edited by younggun

all ready spied that one rob me and old gun have been keeping an eye on it . very nice tidy truck we thort .

i could have done a blue peter on u all ........ and heres one i made earlyer :-D

I think Dad should buy it he obviously wants one of his own to play with ! :D

Ah the age old problem for big toys ! STORAGE !!!!!!>:(>:(>:(

just sent u a email andy wich has something to do with STORAGE :shocked: it will make u weep into your tea that some lucky sod found these lost items :embarrassed:

Edited by younggun