youngguns explorer blog

younggun

Nick, are the exhaust nuts made of brass, and do you need to replace any? rusty studs can strip the threads. If so I found 6 from a petrol Meadows today.

Don't jack the front too high because of the couplings, I think you can just support the weight and loosen off the fixings to lean the pump assembly forward a bit. I may be wrong, it's been awhile.

Have fun, sounds like you're doin good. :thumbsup:

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, are the exhaust nuts made of brass, and do you need to replace any? rusty studs can strip the threads. If so I found 6 from a petrol Meadows today.

Have fun, sounds like you're doin good. :thumbsup:

the studs in the engine came out fine bernard, was just the bolts holding the maifold to the rest of the exhaust that caused me trouble . i think its a different set up any way on a diesel .

old guns going to have a shock when he returns from his motorbike jolly he left me with a running egine a week ago and now i have a garage full of bits and now i am getting it in the neck from managment . i even managed to get the dog covered in engine oil

Edited by younggun

You should have brought it for £400 while you had the chance....its now gone up to £750 buy it now. God knows how much it will be by the weekend.:-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170306057679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Well, bless me it didn't sell, maybe the £20 postage put them off! :confused: or was it because the seller would not accept returns.

Well done Nick, we told you it was quite simple even with the dog helping. If the valves are not recessed you will have to remove them to re-face the heads, and if the heads are not dowel located use a straight edge or bolt the manifolds on to ensure the heads are in line. Torque it down, warm it up then re-torque + re-set valve clearances.

PS It is a MEADOWS, as in Henry Meadows who were just down the road from Guy Motors in Fallings Park, Wolverhamton where some of the 4x2 Crusaders were built.:coffee:

PS It is a MEADOWS, as in Henry Meadows who were just down the road from Guy Motors in Fallings Park, Wolverhamton where some of the 4x2 Crusaders were built.:coffee:

sory mike my spelling is useless as u may have noticed i spent too much time drawing pics of trucks in school :-D

Edited by younggun

Be very carefull tightering your injectors when you refit them. They only just need nipping up or you may damage the heads( the book says use the standard 4" box spanner supplyed with the tool kit) Better too loose and tighten if they leak.

hi thor i hope so thor i was starting to think that attempting this job was a bad idea but ill get there just will take some time . hows the cab goin ?

slowley havent had much time:(

will be at first show in may even if it hasent been sprayed:-D

it will still look better than what it did:yay:

Well done Nick, we told you it was quite simple even with the dog helping. If the valves are not recessed you will have to remove them to re-face the heads, and if the heads are not dowel located use a straight edge or bolt the manifolds on to ensure the heads are in line. Torque it down, warm it up then re-torque + re-set valve clearances.

My fathers scammell crusader VBV663V Ex B.R.S 4x2 tractor unit was built by GUY Motors in wolverhampton the chassis no was prefix GHV for Guy heavy vehicle instead of the WHV for Watford heavy vehicle.

The Scammell Register were after the ebay Meadows Diesel manual - if they were successful, copies should be available soon from them. Will keep you informed.

Not the Ebay one, but The Scammell Register will shortly have a copy of Meadows workshop manual available in CD or printed version, also a parts book, so contact them direct if you need a copy.

Hi all

i have removed the valves from the heads all are ok no carbon build up out of the ordinairy also have cleaned the head with diesel and checked the heads with a straight edge and a feeler gauge both are flat as the day they went on

i am now in search of more parts i have the main gaskets head caskets and rocker box gaskets and rocker cover gaskets . i also have the rubber o rings for the water jacket and valve seals . the parts i dont have are inlet and exhaust gaskets which i am goin to have to make my self . the other parts i am in need off are engine mounts ! when i took the weight off the front engine mount with the jack the front mount prity much fell apart :shake:

i shall attempt to clean the block tomorrow when ive finished playing trains in london .

Edited by younggun

Looks from that list that a great many of them were sold off in Germany rather than returning here. No doubt they would've done a great job for many a European recovery firms as they have here, but how many have made it into enthusiast hands on the continent?

I'm not aware of a great Scammell following other than in the U.K. but perhaps I'm wrong and it's a worldwide obsession.

Blimey Nick, I suppose every one will expect the disposal details added to the index now! :sweat:

I was talking to a guy who has a Meadows Diesel in his Scammell, he said it is worth having a look at a plate at the back of the block as these can rust out, just a thought. :)

Looks from that list that a great many of them were sold off in Germany rather than returning here. No doubt they would've done a great job for many a European recovery firms as they have here, but how many have made it into enthusiast hands on the continent?

I'm not aware of a great Scammell following other than in the U.K. but perhaps I'm wrong and it's a worldwide obsession.

A chap in Dartford imported 19 from Germany after disposal if I remember the conversation correctly and sold them all except one rather sad looking skeleton in his yard !

ive checked round the back off the block allready there was that much oil in that area i doubt it would ever rust .

i did think of posting it in the index but i thought i would post it here first . i can email it u if u want bernard .

Edited by younggun

i have just recivied some info from a freind of my dads whos wife works at mod ashchurch i think it shall be of intrest to most scammell nuts

shows where and when my explorer was sold off along with meny others .

Have you any other pages with later numbers Nick ?