youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good. Hope you felt smug knowing you had the only meadows diesel there. Rollls....Rolls.....Leyland....Rolls......leyland....oooh whats this...never seen one of those engines before... what is it mate?...Well it's blah blah blah. not many left now.:-D

Would like to see some in cab vidio footage if poss.:cool2:

Mine stopped charging soon after i got it home. It had been kept in a shed for years so when it was left outside with no engine side panals on the dynamo got water in. this water sat in the bottom and has rusted the brush holders and armature. Think i will be able to sort it out it's in the garage at the mo waiting for time.

Looking good Nick! Will you be at War and Peas?

wel i aim to be madrat i have booked the time off work and floyds entery forme is away in the post so its lookin like i am goin to be there :-D

i hope i can make camp with some freidly people i know as me and floyd will be couming down on our own

You know where we'll be if you can't find anywhere more civilized Nick, that'll be a lottery winning trip I bet :thumbsup:

i best start filling the side lockers with beer then bernard floyds looking forward to having a guided tour from forcfull :-D i think it mite be time i got myself a tent aswell

wel i aim to be madrat i have booked the time off work and floyds entery forme is away in the post so its lookin like i am goin to be there :-D

i hope i can make camp with some freidly people i know as me and floyd will be couming down on our own

Fantastic, we shall look forward to seeing you there and perhaps you might have a spare seat for the off road course?! :cool2:

spent today looking into floyds dynamo problem ( well after i finished fitting the air horn that is :cool2:) i now have the dynamo in bits in garage cause of problem is from when floyd got flooded out water had sat in the bottom of the dynamo caseing rusiting the two lower brushing springs so there was no contact being made . locating some springs should hopefully not be to hard liveing in reddtich which is known worldwide for its springs . the bigger problem which is causing me some concern is the metalastick coupling when removeing the dynamo the wrong bits of the coupling came with it pics are as follows i now am in need of a replacement coupling or a gd idea for a bodge ? :help::help::help:

573.jpg

567.jpg

571.jpg

572.jpg

Edited by younggun

Nick, if you can't get a replacement coupling one proven way to remake the drive would be to put it back but use a hose large enough to slip over the whole thing with double hose clips to clamp it onto the end parts.

The longer the distance to bridge the thicker the hose needs to be to prevent buckling and collapse, hydraulic hose would be best or use two rad type hoses one over the other. I just hope the dipstick tube ain't in the way!

This Gardner uses the same method as standard, both ends, simples.

ENGINE01.JPG

Edited by gritineye

You could try one of these rubber moulding kits.

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=22&frostCat=Miscellaneous&subcatID=21&frostSubCat=Miscellaneous

Not cheap, but should give a more original look.

Yes, you're right of course, a brilliant product.

But although I have used it with great success in the past, the components do have to held very precisely in a seep proof jig as it has a very searching nature and will all run out of a tiny pinprick hole, I know this because the first time I used it, I had a frantic time catching it with a spoon and putting back in the top until it started to set..:sweat:

Each end would have to be jigged and cast separately and alignment could be tricky, this would mean mixing two batches out of one tin (if one tin is enough for both), the measuring has to be very precise as small differences in the amount of catalyst produces very different strength/hardness qualities of rubber. There is also a metal to rubber primer/adhesive to be bought.

I don't mean to sound defeatist here, and not suggesting a second rate fix, just passing on experience, I have no doubt it could be done, but it is show season now and I feel that if this job was left until winter it would be better. :)

this one is just for andy to prove that i was not trailerd to the astwood bank show last weekend ime sorry thers not more videos at the mo oldguns still getting to grips with the camara :-\

Hi Nick , I didn't doubt you for a moment !:-D I have an old dynamo drive shaft I was keeping as a spare which you are welcome to use to get you out of trouble if you'd like it ?

Don't worry about the lack of video I'm sure we'll get loads more at War and Peace show !:cool2:

thanks andy i mite have to take u up on the offer of the drive shaft if my currant plan is unsucsesfull just hope i can get it all sorted for the weekend as floyd is booked in at the bloxham rally . also andy im sorry if my mobile fone has a mind of its own it keeps wanting to ring u for some reason unless its the scammells moving on from rail lines as a form of communication.:-D

Edited by younggun

The one currently not fitted to mine is driven by a collection of hose clips and hose flying round in loose formation. Bit of a home made shaft in there too.

I have one of those dynamos and a coupling off my doner engine, but as the one that was fitted to the diesel is suffering the same problem as yours i don't know which bit of what i am going to need.

If you can bodge it till winter i may have some bits you can have. If you get really stuck you can borrow my dynamo and shaft if you like (don't know if the dynamo works but should have some springs in it)

The one currently not fitted to mine is driven by a collection of hose clips and hose flying round in loose formation. Bit of a home made shaft in there too.

I have one of those dynamos and a coupling off my doner engine, but as the one that was fitted to the diesel is suffering the same problem as yours i don't know which bit of what i am going to need.

If you can bodge it till winter i may have some bits you can have. If you get really stuck you can borrow my dynamo and shaft if you like (don't know if the dynamo works but should have some springs in it)

thanks for the offer rob the sping problem has been solved its just going to be a mad rush to put it back togeather :shake:

thanks andy i mite have to take u up on the offer of the drive shaft if my currant plan is unsucsesfull just hope i can get it all sorted for the weekend as floyd is booked in at the bloxham rally . also andy im sorry if my mobile fone has a mind of its own it keeps wanting to ring u for some reason unless its the scammells moving on from rail lines as a form of comuinication :-D

Bernards method is a good un but I wonder if a vulcanising solution on the rubber bits as well would help ! I think the correct technical term is "Belt and braces " !:-D Oh and who is that lovely blonde in the video (she only has eyes for you mate)!

Come on lets see some gear changes in the next one!!!:cool2: no crunching now!:-D

ill have u know rob the only cruching sound made that day was from the empty plastic beer cups that eveaning :-D

should have a few more vids after the weekend