youngguns explorer blog

younggun

hi all

today the flow of parts into the garage has now been reversed. parts are now flowing back to where they belong . heads are now back on .all went well with only a minor problem with a stripped head nut no major crises. i am hopeing to find one tomorow . also we have has a visit from the health and safty executive he started quoting working at hight regulations so oldgun came up with a solition . pics are as follows .

059.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

070.jpg

Edited by younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes andy just pulling your leg .was the only safe way we could think off getting the heads back on with out injury to ourselves or damage to the heads .

on another note me and floyd shall be open for viewing to to the public tomorow at the resonable price of 1 1/2 inch bsf head nut per person :-\ that should solve that problem of the stripped nut :-D

Edited by younggun

if the situation gets that bad andy i will pm u , i dont think it should. the only problem with getting one is that it is a bank holiday and CBH fasters dont open again till bloody tuesday :argh:

Edited by younggun

How are you getting on? Let me guess.... it's running so well your too busy driving it to tell us.:drive:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:I BLOODY Wish

i now have the heads on and torqued down. inlet manifold is back on injectors also. both sumps have been off cleaned and refitted . i am now waiting on exhaust manifold to be machined . bolts and gaskets for the rocker box and new engine mounts which are being made on the 22nd of this month. still a long way to go i should think u will be up and running befor me.

nick

Edited by younggun

Hopefully running before you. I'm ready to hit the button.... just waiting for some new oil filters to turn up. Hope it works if not leyland here we come.

If the engine is ok all thats left to do is the electrics,brakes, hub oil seals, winch, wheels and tyres. timber on the back, rear mud gaurds.......remove and strip the rear springs, paint the rear axle, wiper motors, front wings,and fit some diesel filters...oh need to free off the walking beams too.

one day i'll get there!!:help:

I know it's more work but when you get your new engine mounts fitted it might be worth checking the engine and gearbox alignment. This will avoid metalastic distress and heartache at a later date. There are shims between the chassis and rear engine cradle, washers between the front crossmember and engine mount legs and some more shims where the lateral movement arms fix to the chassis to square it up. To be fair it should be spot on as the mounts are the same spec as the origanals. It's up to you.

My mounts had failed compleatly and the metalastic couplings were ripped to bits. when i fitted the new mounts i found the engine was 1 1/4" lower than the gear box and also tilted down. Absoloute pain in the arse to line up:shake:

i am not looking forward to lineing up the engine up again:noyay: . how did u go about yours ? my rear engine mounts are fine its only the front one which has fell to bits . but i have been told to fit them as a set . i did think of the propshaft mod to eliminate the problem of engine alignment and metalastic couplings .

Edited by younggun

Remove the metalastic couplings. I then made up a set of trammells (pointer on a long rod) fix these to the gearbox flange. one pointer touches the face of the engine flange the other touches edge of the clutch brake. by rotating the gearbox flange the trammells run round the engine flange. I can get a picture from the manual if you want but it in the garage at the mo.

Well when i refitted the engine i rechecked the alignment with a straight edge. One muff coupling was removed so i put a straight edge accross the faces of the square drives of the engine flange and the center bit of the muff coupling. there is only about a half inch between the two members. I was just rechecking the alignment as its only run about 1 hour since i changed the engine mounts.

I too would consider a shaft conversion but have a solid clutch plate fitted and wonder about shock loading the gearbox or the splines ratteling on tickover. If you fit a big enough shaft the peak loads created by the engine should not be a problem.

not this weekend still got shed load to do hope fully should have all bits back to gether tomorow the scammell mite only have one day spent on him this weekend as i have got to chage the clutch master cylnder in my td5 landy aswell .

disco=30mph :)

scammell= 8-10mph :argh:

30MPH or thought you said it went like ...?

Nice and easy to tweak the pumps on TDis then readjust them for the MOT.

Never got round to messing with my TD5 disco before the injector wiring loom got oily and I fell out with it.