younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello good people of the forum

another day of progress

rear diff oil leak sorted new battery cables fitted and it was a nice sunny day

then i started to investegate the annoying squeeking sound which i thort was comeing from a small diameter oil pipe and i was wrong . at this point the sky clouded over and progress did a u turn . head gasket seems to be blowing at the rear of the head closest to the bulkhead when i first found it i thought i had an air pipe leaking

i am now thinking about wot to do next and how to go about this problem

eny adivice would be welcome

nick

Edited by younggun

hell good people of the forum

another day imof progress

rear dif oil leak sorted new battery cables fitted and it was a nice sunny day

then i started to investegate the anoying squeeking sound which i thort was comeing from a small diameter oil pipe and i was wrong . at this point the sky clouded over and progress did a u turn . head gasket seems to be blowing at the rear of the head closest to the bulkhead when i first found it i thort i had an air pipe leaking

i am now thinking about wot to do next and how to go about this problem

eny adivice would be welcome

nick

Sorry to hear that Nick, but if it is a head gasket you will need to change it, not a bad job on an old pushrod engine. Running it with the gasket blown may well burn away the block or head to the point where they need skimming as it sounds like exhaust gases are leaking but not yet reached a waterway which would pressurise the cooling system.

You need to take the head off, check it with a straight edge and get it skimmed if it is not completely flat. Align the head with the manifolds, torque the head down, run it until it is hot then re-torque and re-set the valve clearances.

I presume the small pipe is the oil feed to the rocker shaft, if it's a very small squeak there is a small chance a re-torque of the head may stop it, as there are some head studs and nuts hidden in the push rod chamber that can't be got at too easily, these can be over looked when checking the tightness of the heads after fitting new gaskets and running the engine.

Torque settings ; head 110 ft lbs, in push rod chamber 80 ft lbs. These are for Petrol engine yours may differ.

All a bit of a bummer Nick, but not too tricky to fit a new gasket, just annoying.

Ps Mikes right

Sorry to hear of your problem Nick ! Hope its not too massive a job ! What was the dif oil leak ?

dif oil leak was from the pipe fitting on the bottow of the heat exechanger just tightend it up and it solved it .

also where mite i locate a set of head gaskets or is this goin to the a problem?

Hi

Really sorry to hear about you head gasket.:cry: i hope a re tourque will sort it out but i think you should prepare for a heads off day. I have no idea where you would get gaskets for your meadows diesel and if you manage to find some let me know. You could get some made no problem at all but when i had a quick look round the internet out of interest (I'ts nice to know if you can find gaskets for an old engine your running) it looked like it would cost about £400 to get both gaskets made!!! I stopped looking at that point as my gaskets are ok at the moment.

It seems the meadows diesel is a very rare beast and parts are none existent. If you find gaskets please let me know. Of course anything can be made for a price but there comes a point when it's time to put something with more parts available like a rolls royce eagle or leyland 680 in it. Such a shame as not many meadows diesels left now. Good luck and i hope someone has some gakskets or you find a cheap soloution. Please let me know.(Assuming this bl**dy engine of mine will run when it put it back in!!)

Why not run the air horn directly from one of the Braking tanks, but feed it through a circuit protection valve? Much simpler.

This has been suggested, and the main reason I did it my way is because I spent quite some enjoying myself working it all out, it exercised my brain (what there is left of it) it was free, it all looks sort of interesting sitting there. And I'm stubborn like that!

What more could you ask of a hobby?

The other main objective has been met that is for us to talk it over on here so Younggun can decide how to do his, well he did ask! :)

I have now fitted Roberts suggested carb jet in the end of the feed pipe to stop the wiper feed pressure dropping too low when the tank is filling.

DSCF6761.jpg

This jet came from a Ferrari as if it matters.

If I told you that I'd have to kill you, :-D no I don't think so.

Did you see the drive coupling on Ebay for £400 buy it now ! :rofl: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scammell-drive-coupling-early-type_W0QQitemZ170306057679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM?hash=item170306057679&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by AndyFowler

I have sold 6 head gaskets since I got rid of my meadows, I don't know if they're the same, but as one person has dumped his meadows as well now he may part with the ones I sold him, don't hold your breath though!

Always the same when your looking for that elusive part. Everyone you speak to used to have lots of them or knew someone who did. But they've only just let them go, lost them, scrapped them.

Good luck in your search. It's far better to be preserving the original engines than going the conversion route.

Always the same when your looking for that elusive part. Everyone you speak to used to have lots of them or knew someone who did. But they've only just let them go, lost them, scrapped them.

Good luck in your search. It's far better to be preserving the original engines than going the conversion route.

But in my case 3 people who were preserving the original engines did get what they were looking for.